homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Temptation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Temptation
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2011 23:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am lucky enough to have a local independent bookshop City Books , (and BTW if you have one too, do try to support them - a bookshop does things Amazon cannot). Recently while browsing there I came across these Penguin F. Scott Fitzgerald editions designed by their amazingly talented senior designer Coralie Bickford-Smith. They are even more gorgeous in the flesh (one more reason we need actual bookshops), and so far I have just bought one. But I want them all!

The bad news is that in April they are producing another lovely series designed by her. I am afraid this has awakened my inner bibliophile.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2011 06:43      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very impressive. [Applause]

I think the foodie book jackets are more to my personal taste, but there is no doubting the quality of both series.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2011 14:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you liked them Grum. There seems to be a bit of a renaissance in book design recently, (perhaps partly because of the competition from e-books?). For example look at these rather wonderful Kafka covers by Peter Mendelsund to be published by Knopf later this year.

Maybe I need to put up more bookshelves.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2011 03:25      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I am ready to pay pretty money for well bound books. And one of the reasons I want to move is so I can put up more bookshelves. Ideally, high-quality bookshelves.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 24, 2011 08:42      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, those food books are just gorgeous. I'm thinking that they would make wonderful presents for several friends... but really I want them for myself!!! [hearts]
Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2011 09:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.

I've avoided getting an eBook reader, for me there's no substitute for the tactile experience of holding a real dead-tree book, and a nice cover is part of that.

Maybe we need to start a campaign, print up some stickers and buttons...

"You CAN judge a book by its cover"

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2011 11:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli - I made the mistake of initially dismissing the Kafka covers without properly looking at them. After a second viewing I realised that each cover design relates to the title of the particular book.

Ok, nothing special there... but having decided to look at the designs properly, I realised that what makes them very good designs is not simply that each cover design relates to the title of the particular book, but rather it is that the series of designs is thematically linked by the fundamental design elements. So: the eye motif, the colour palette, the use of symmetry etc all contribute to a very strong identity. And I was amused by the Captain America reference!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2011 01:31      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a librarian who spends way to much time lately fixing and explaining how to use e-readers, so I really enjoyed the covers. We have one indie left here,but it is the non-book sales that keep it open. She doesn't get discounts like the chains, so she has to charge more or lose money.
I have some of my great grandfather's Thackery volumes. You just want to stroke the book and the marbled papers are so lovely too.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture