homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Holy Frak! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Holy Frak!
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2011 14:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just retured from a well-earned holiday with Clan McDruid and a couple of the druidlings friends. A week of lazing about on the beach, watching the penguins, and catching up on my recreational reading.

No TV, no internet, no newspapers, very relaxing.

First news item I see when I get home is this (more here)

-

-

-

-

8 people confirmed dead, 70 'missing'.

A branch of Clan McDruid-in-law lives in Toowoombah, we had xmas lunch with them a couple of weeks ago, they'd had no trouble with the floods at that time. Toowoomba's 700 metres above sea level, on the ridge of the main mountain range that runs up Australia's east coast, so it takes something really exceptional to cause a flood like this.

Phone lines are out now, so we've been unable to contact Mrs Druid's aunt and uncle. Fingers crossed.

[update] Just heard from the rels, they heard about the flood on the news, the part of town they're in got off lightly.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted January 11, 2011 09:33      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching a Ustream live cam last night of the river in Brisbane, and that river's about to go over the banks, too. Be save, Queenslanders! [Frown]
Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 11, 2011 10:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUpkPTcqPY&feature=player_embedded

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2011 14:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're now reporting 90 'missing' - an ominous word in a flash flood.

Another branch of Clan McDruid-in-law lives in Grantham, one of the hardest hit towns.

Most of the survivors are now in a refugee camp in the local school, but no list of names yet.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2011 17:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___ That has got to be terrifying.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2011 20:28      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know way too many people that live up that way, the waiting on news sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2011 01:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing to see here, move on
V
V
V

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2011 01:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A usually-reliable news service has just reported a shark sighting in Brisbane's flooded streets.

And elsewhere in QLD, there's this...
 -

On a more positive note, all known members of Clan McDruid-in-law in the region are now confirmed safe and well.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2011 04:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Without sounding trite have you considered an Ark? What your nation is going through, is beyond imagination. I wish you and yours safety.

____ This is for everyone else think about giving a donation to The Red Cross, The Salvation Army. These two organizations have good track records on getting the money to where it needs to go and they have provisions for designated funds.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2011 10:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
A usually-reliable news service has just reported a shark sighting in Brisbane's flooded streets.

Well, there are species of freshwater shark, though the one kreziserb keeps is small (about the size of my middle finger) and rather shy and, as far as we know, not much of a predator - mostly, it avoids the other fish and sometimes gets its silly ass stuck behind a tree root. Hardly something to write home about.

Glad to hear Clan McDruid is safe and accounted for!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2011 14:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Well, there are species of freshwater shark, though the one kreziserb keeps is small (about the size of my middle finger) and rather shy and, as far as we know, not much of a predator
It was probably a Bull Shark. They're freshwater tolerant, and fairly common in the Brisbane River.

At 3.5 metres long, and with an aggressive streak, they're quite the predator, and not the kind of visitor you want in your home.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2011 17:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes. As if people in Brisbane didn't have enough problems.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2011 18:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, forget the Ark, get an Airship.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2011 21:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sharks and crocodiles prowling the flooded streets, you say?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2011 01:06      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this and I heard in the news that this flood didn't even hit the record high water mark in Brisbane.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2011 13:54      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will keep your family in my thoughts. My friend Dizzy is safe so far. She lives near Brisbane.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2011 14:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good News/Bad News/Good News...

Good News: It's stopped raining in Brisbane.

Bad News: The weather system that was drowning Brisbane has shifted, and is now dumping rain on Casa Del Druid. Already there are reports of local flooding, and one of the states major roads has been closed due to (minor) landslides.

Good News: It's heavy rain (the weather bureau is calling it 'torrential') but nothing like the apocalyptic downpours Brisbane and Toowoomba saw, so we'll get through this ok.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2011 18:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ That flick that Snaggy linked is scary, Back when I was in the water rescue team our problems were Ice Jams at spring thaw causing the flooding, or a car going of the road near a river. Nothing like that. Damn thats scary.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2011 05:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever floats yer boat...

quote:
From TFA:
A bizarre decision to ride an inflatable doll down a flood-swollen Yarra River blew up in a woman’s face yesterday when she lost her latex playmate in a rough patch.

The incident prompted a warning from police that blow-up sex toys are "not recognised flotation devices’’.

Missed out on a Darwin Award on a technicality...

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2011 15:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good news everyone, The sex toys wer rescued.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2011 04:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Stupid is as Stupid does.

____ Long term weather, is this years events abnormal or just getting back to average. I know that the Great Lakes have been low for a few years. So have we The Earths residents been in a long term drought?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2011 07:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Stupid is as Stupid does.

____ Long term weather, is this years events abnormal or just getting back to average. I know that the Great Lakes have been low for a few years. So have we The Earths residents been in a long term drought?

For the Great Lakes, I think it is "normal" that their level would lower over time. They were created from the melting of the last ice-age; this major input of water is no more, and we are taking ever more water out of them. So short of another ice-age, it is unlikely that their level will reincrease on long-term.

Now, I could be very wrong, but it makes sense in my head. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2011 16:25      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See here: Great Lakes Water Levels

Where it says:

quote:
Water levels are part of the ebb and flow of nature.

The difference between the amount of water coming into a lake and the amount going out is the determining factor in whether the water level will rise, fall or remain stable. When several months of above-average precipitation occur with cooler, cloudy conditions that cause less evaporation, the levels gradually rise. Likewise, prolonged periods of lower-than-average precipitation and warmer temperatures typically result in lowering of water levels.

The recent decline of Great Lakes' water levels, now at lows not seen since the mid-1960s, is due mostly to evaporation during the warmer-than-usual temperatures of the past three years, a series of mild winters, and below-average snowpack in the Lake Superior basin.

Because the major factors affecting the water supply to the lakes--precipitation, evaporation and runoff--cannot be controlled or accurately predicted for more than a few weeks into the future, the influence of man-made regulation of lake levels is very limited. Nature has most of the control, adding water through snow and rain, and taking it away through evaporation.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2011 18:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well as I said before "when I was in the river rescue group" we mostly had to get people out of spring run off. That looks like white water rafting gone bad. The worst we had to contend with was chunks of Ice coming down the river, however one home owner lost his propane pig and it came down the river like a giant bobber blowing bubbles as it floated along. The propane crew lassoed it and pulled it onto shore, shut the valve, then came back with a lift truck.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2011 13:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I ran across this and thought with the extreme weather the globe has had this winter:

http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

http://www.longrangeweather.com/Long-Range-Monthly-Weather-Forecasts.htm

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture