homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » We're all doomed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We're all doomed
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2010 13:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You thought stupid people blindly following a GPS and driving into a lake was bad? You haven't seen anything yet.

From TFA:
Pioneer is developing a head-up display for cars that links in with the navigation function available on many modern smartphones.
A demonstration model was hooked up to an Android-based phone and displayed a navigation map on the left-hand side and an animated Android robot on the right-hand side that passed on information to drivers.

Clippy has been reincarnated and is going to be set free and allowed to lead an army of cluelessly obedient idiots in SUVs.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2010 17:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grumpy, I use a GPS for a speedometer on our motor home and to get an idea of where we are in relation to a destination. I have seen huge differences from map features and actual roads. When back in the woods the handhelds will get you back close to the trail head, but not always. Out here there are too many areas that a cell phone would be useless, so we usually leave them in the truck plugged in to charge. To get help if needed I have my 2meter HT to open the local repeater and cry mayday. Though over the years I have been the one answering the call, I don't think I have ever actually declared an Emergency while out in the woods.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2010 20:22      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure a goofy robot grinning at you from the right side of your windshield won't be distracting at all.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 08, 2010 21:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/what_could_possibly_go_wrong

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2010 00:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea, you can read eBooks, watch movies, and play silly phone games while driving.

Darwin would be pleased.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2010 00:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Grumpy, I use a GPS for a speedometer on our motor home and...

I have a question.

There is always the same difference ( car is ca 8 kph slower) between my GPS speed and my spedometer. Any ideas why?

If it was that there is simply more error in my GPS speed measurement, why is the inacurracy so precise?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2010 04:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash if the speedometer is mechanical, it may be miss calibration, If it is a Digital I got no clue. To be a set amount slow is more unusual than a fixed percentage off.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2010 05:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
on a 2010 car I am guessing the speedometer is an electronic device.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2010 07:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, if it is a pointer type, it could be a manufacturing error. The operator of the pointer press did not do the procedure correctly, or the company builds them that way so they don't get hauled into traffic court for speeding fines.

____ One of the products the company I worked for made was mechanical Speedos, The same equipment was used for "Police Specials" as well as standard volume. The mechancals were calibrated at 20/60/120 MPH. Until Joan Claybrook took over NHSTA. We then had to calibrate at 20/40/63 MPH because she claimed that is the speeds people drive.

____ Then the design was changed to electronic 120degree swing meter movement, those were not as accurate as the old mechs. PROGRESS is it forward or backward?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2010 09:19      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Ash, if it is a pointer type, it could be a manufacturing error. The operator of the pointer press did not do the procedure correctly, or the company builds them that way so they don't get hauled into traffic court for speeding fines.

____ One of the products the company I worked for made was mechanical Speedos, The same equipment was used for "Police Specials" as well as standard volume. The mechancals were calibrated at 20/60/120 MPH. Until Joan Claybrook took over NHSTA. We then had to calibrate at 20/40/63 MPH because she claimed that is the speeds people drive.

____ Then the design was changed to electronic 120degree swing meter movement, those were not as accurate as the old mechs. PROGRESS is it forward or backward?

well it is both, right side big corcle is the speedometer, left side the tach, BUT, I just had a good Idea because of somethign you mentioned, I also have a computer display, that I useually display the L/100km on, but it can reprogramed to dispaly a bunch of other stuff like temp, trip odometer, ect. and ... mph, I can look up a coversion, drive 60 kph or so, see what the computer says in mph and see if the coputer and the dial read teh same speed in metric and english. Perhaps some guy at the factory put the display togetehr wrong. ( THe factoy in spain and not germany despite this being a vw sold in europe)

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2010 17:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, if I remember right it is 50/80. So get on a good road set the cruise at 80KPH/ then change to MPH it should read 50MPH at that time. Of course we are talking should be's.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 09, 2010 18:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GrumpySteen, Let me tell you a little story, a camping trip with a mix of RVs A: Car pulling a popup, driver supposedly a truck driver His GPS one of those windshield mount units. B: Pickup truck with a fifth wheel His unit a high end hand held does not have the software for trip plotting. C: Myself Class A Motor home 18000lbs and the cooking gas bottle holds so much propane that tunnels are off limits. My GPS High end Garmin dash mount that I can tell the unit I am driving a truck loaded with Hazmat.

____ We are near Harrisburg PA, and want to avoid the PA t-pike. Driver A claims his unit has a shorter solution than mine so we should all follow him. So for the first fifty miles he is leading the way, then my unit is sounding a buzzer that the road ahead has load and steepness warnings and that I should take the next cross road. I tell the Mrs to tell him and the B unit that the road has load and grade restrictions and we should turn off. Now we are passing signs that state vehicles over 15000lbs should take the bypass, Driver A is screaming at the Mrs that I am trying to take control of the trip, Driver B and myself turn onto the by pass and have a level trip to I-80. He keeps going and over heats on a long grade, However it is our fault that he over heated because we did not follow him.

____ If I ever end up on a caravan with him I will use my own route and screw him. I am very happy with the unit I have and yes I paid extra for the Hazmat routing feature, but it kept my sitterdowner rolling.

____ Options vehicle type
Car
Motorcycle
Truck less than 10000lbs
Truck more than 10001lbs
Sub menu Hazmat Yes No

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2010 10:30      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moman___ NOw I don't know what to think , when the dial reads 80 kph, the computer display read 50 mph. so at least the two spedometers built into the car are the same, but I would bet tehy are the same system, despite one being a dial and needle display nd teh other being a digital computer display. I would doubt that a tom tom would be so consitently wrong though.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2010 12:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mo, I know EXACTLY which tunnels you needed to avoid. It's too bad, 'cause they're really nice tunnels. I haven't driven much on I-80 - the turnpike is a really lovely drive, is I-80 just as pretty?

When was this trip? I wish you would've told me you'd be in the Capitol. I would've tried to get up there to see you. (Probably tied it in with a visit to my in-laws, who still live up there.) Although, you should really meet my grandfather, who is a HAM operator from way back. You and he would have fun swapping stories, what with you both having great experience jerry-rigging and inventing things.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2010 12:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash I do not know if you have Milepost or Kilopost markers there, but a stop watch should clear things up. The speedo on our coach is nineteen percent slow, show 50 going 62.

____ Ronny, Most states forbid propane from being transported in tunnels. Some states rule that a case of hair spray or PAM the cooking spray to be Hazmat. Pa. will allow up to one hundred lbs of Propane on a camper or motorhome ours has a 150lb tank. Also the toll from Toledo to Harrisburg for a rig as big as ours is fifty dollars, Ohio and Pa. tolls. I-80 and then Ohio 2 to Toledo is just as pretty and I get to see the local farms. We were in Hershey with the grand daughters near the end of July, those days that it was really hot. I do not ever disclose trip plans, as they may change or someone may be lurking, to much farm gear that could just be driven off.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2010 17:45      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - you may want to skip this post, as I feel a rant coming on...

I am going to nail my colours to the mast, draw a line in the sand, and abuse any other clichés that get in my way.

GPS/SatNav...hate it - hate it with a passion! It leads to laziness, lack of involvement with the immediate environment (how do we get outta here???) and a tendency to undervalue an understanding of topography.

I am a willing and committed champion of Flat-Nav... a good map printed on nice paper. Beats all your fancy hand-held devices - if you live in a country that only offers shit maps, come to England - we have lovely, lovely maps of our islands and will make any and all cartophiles welcome.

rant over... normal service... usw...

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2010 18:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grummish, Yes and No. You cannot get in your car and drive 1200 miles and not encounter a cross road, here in Michigan I-75 is 390 miles long. I know that road, and I do not get lost along its length, however not having an accurate speedo. does give me pause for that the GPS is great. For driving in a different state knowing if the bridges are strong enough, or if there are tunnels makes for better trip planning. Also in the woods the maps lie. In The Huron National Forest the ground absorbs cell phone waves and only on high ground will my Hand Transceiver reach out to the closest repeater, Look up Mio, Mi we go hiking South of there, some times it helps to know where we parked the van.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2010 21:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two quick† replies:

MoMan: Very glad to hear of your GPS w/warnings - I wish truckers around here would actually pony up for them! Being from the Northeast, I'm quite used to low bridges on our parkways...which is why they're marked for 'passenger cars only' (which is fine for my car [Smile] ), but apparently this is horribly foreign to drivers from elsewhere in the country. Thus, many times a year, we have stories of trucks getting their tops sheared off by low bridges, after blindly trusting their GPS units, and not demonstrating common sense. (And if they're luck, we local taxpayers have to foot the bill for bridge repairs!)

Grummash: Amen, mate! I loathe GPS...and love British maps. I have a monster 'moto' map for the entirety of GB, and it has taken me a great many places. The A-Z, OTOH, is a thing of utter beauty. A mate of mine loaned me one years ago, and I had to go pick one up later, as it has such fantastic utility. Of course, I also love my Hagstrom maps...and I have all the relevant ones in my glove box, lest I need to get 'outta here,' and haven't already mapped it on Google. [Smile] Just yesterday, I went to a nearby library, and decided "I want to go by the Hudson." Having never gone from that point A to point B, I took out my trusty maps, found the nearest major road, and figured out the best way to get there. 10 mins later, I was walking down to the shore, and savoring the tides and sunset. [Big Grin] That's far more satisfactory then getting yammered at by some computerized voice, and having to punch a bunch of buttons to 'enter your destination.'

† Whoops...those were supposed to be quick. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2010 00:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
OK - you may want to skip this post, as I feel a rant coming on...

I am going to nail my colours to the mast, draw a line in the sand, and abuse any other clichés that get in my way.

GPS/SatNav...hate it - hate it with a passion! It leads to laziness, lack of involvement with the immediate environment (how do we get outta here???) and a tendency to undervalue an understanding of topography.

I am a willing and committed champion of Flat-Nav... a good map printed on nice paper. Beats all your fancy hand-held devices - if you live in a country that only offers shit maps, come to England - we have lovely, lovely maps of our islands and will make any and all cartophiles welcome.

rant over... normal service... usw...

As a ex boyscout and backpacker and expert map navigator, I was also as you are, but then I bought a GPS for my wife, fearing she would one day become lost, and she can't read a map.

I found how usefull these GPS's are. Now, I still always have a paper map with me of where I will be ( I have an inpressive collection from my road travels) but I use the Navi. By the time I am old, I am sure I will be one of the few left that can take a reading on a compass and triangulate where I am on a map, but, change happen man, get moving or get left behind.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2010 02:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have my Ordinance Survey Atlas of Great Britian, 200+ pages of cartographic excellence.

4 weeks after arriving back in the UK, I was in a job that involved travelling the length and breadth of Britain visiting customer sites, my trusty OS atlas went with me everywhere. Excellent for navigation, and hours of entertainment just leafing through it reading the place names,

Nobody does place names like the English. (picks a page at random) Stiffkey, Hagworthingham, Leake Hurns End, Emneth Hungate, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen, Whaplode Fen, Little Steeping, Pudding Norton...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2010 05:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Quick review, GPS units come in all price ranges. The el'cheapo for finding your way back out of the woods, Up to "The Trucker's Co-pilot.

____ TTC will warn you if your over-all length is restricted, over-pass clearance, bridge loading, Hazmat, and calculate expense reports. That is a bit much for me, following a ton of research I fount a dash mount unit that did not require an external Laptop unit. The software and dongle hooked up to a laptop, can get terribly wrong, time zones and Daylight savings time really messes with its ability to figure out where it is.
It did not tell me there was a time error it just showed me driving North on Lake Michigan.

____ The laptop is nice for figuring where a Ham lives how far to a destination, zip codes for Christmas Cards.

____ Now for the RV campers if you want to get into rough country and you do not have a monster rig try Big Bone Lick in Kentucky, wild country back there just no spaces big enough for our rig.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture