homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Memorial Day?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Memorial Day?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 02:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Memorial Day, to those that are not Merkins, this weekend is the start of The Summer Vacation Period, weekends spent traveling, touring and visiting.

____ To Vets, from the USA this Holiday is for us. It started as some church women were cleaning the grave markers of fallen US Civil War Dead and then planting flowers, one story goes that one woman was also doing the CSA graves and one of the women tried to stop her, "it still is some mothers son buried her" is the supposed reply. So each year near the end of MAY we celebrate our war dead.

____ So to Bull3t, CP, and even ASM I raise a toast, you are changed men, your views have a different slant now, and you have paid your Dues. I am sure I have left some out, I did not do that on purpose. To the rest of the Merkins don't worry about us we know how to take care of our selves, but please go to one of the parades and salute the FLAG.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 04:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related note...

70 years ago, the Battle of Dunkirk was being fought.

With the German army advancing on all fronts, the battered remnants of the British, French, Polish, Belgian, and Dutch armies (including my uncle Johnny) fought their way to Dunkirk, hoping to be evacuated by the Royal Navy, but found the harbour destroyed by enemy bombing.

So the call went out for small vessels that could operate without a harbour, and over 700 small civilian boats answered the call. Over 9 days, under relentless attack from the Luftwaffe, the famous 'little ships of Dunkirk' helped rescue nearly 340,000 soldiers. Over 1/4 of those boats were lost.

It's difficult to over-estimate the importance of Dunkirk, if that 'miracle' hadn't happened, the war could have ended very differently.

My uncle Johnny's not with us any more, but tonight I'll raise a glass to him, and the heroic crews of the 'little ships'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 03:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Every Country has its own Histry of Battles fought, win or lose.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-05-30-the-arlington-ladies_N.htm

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2010 03:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Last evening here in CONUS the public broacasting service ran the National Concert from Washington.

____ This is the first year that I have been ready to watch a tribute to my fellow vets. The pictures of markers from Flanders, Normandy, Rome,and Arlington all struck struck me....

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 31, 2010 09:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A toast to all the Vets of the USA military service, from this Canuck.

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2010 11:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy, There were plenty of Canadians killed in action, Liberating France.

____ The Parade I went to watch was supposed to feature our Grand-Daugther, how ever inclimate weather caused a cancelition. Power lines down, lightning, and high winds blowing down trees. Probably a good call.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 31, 2010 11:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, oh yes, I realize that. My grandfather served in WWI, and my father in WWII.

I'm hoping to luck out and skip WWIII.

We honor our veterans on Remembrace Day... the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture