homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Finally, an app worth running on the iPad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally, an app worth running on the iPad
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 14:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's about time.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2010 14:37      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why?!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 10 posted April 15, 2010 11:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to a worthwile app, the iPad now has print capability, too!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 14:09      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK – Why not? Heck, I've got a Win 3.11 VM, just for kicks. It's good to remember what it was like having to constantly re-install W3.11 everytime I used it. At least with Win 95 I could go 3 – 6 months between re-installs.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 22:16      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...I finally laid hands on an iPad today - my sense of "WOW" was far too great to care about other apps. [Wink]

I think this 'app' sounds pretty cool, though. Then again, running it would probably be a case of dating myself, and I don't think I really need to do that. [Razz] Besides, I fired up an old computer of mine running Win3.11 a few weeks ago, and it still works! If I really need a 'fix' for retro-Windows, I'll just run that.

Aside: All the cynicism and snark I've seen online about the iPad makes me think many such posters haven't actually /tried/ one. I will certainly grant that it's a bit heavy, but it makes up for that with tons of mind-blowing WOW. Full-screen, super-snappy Street View is /awesome/. Web browsing that doesn't require squinting or lots of scrolling is also very sweet. An on screen keyboard that's big enough to allow for ~6 finger qwerty-ish typing is also pretty great. (That only works when at rest on a table...otherwise it's more like 2-3 finger typing - which is mostly easier than on a Touch.) When this thing gets 4.0, it's going to be fantastic -- albeit with ads. :/

My iPad verdict: It's one sexy piece of glass.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2010 19:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want one only to keep my cat occupied. Seriously. I'm tired of getting beat about the head and face with a stick toy at 2 am.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2010 21:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww....that's cute and full of win. [Big Grin]

Though I'm pretty sure the cat was /mostly/ interested in it as a very fancy scratching post. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2010 02:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Okay what was the latest MS product that could run a I-286?

____ Anyway there was a program that calculated the amount of fill needed for filling gullies during road construction. The Company that wrote that program will not update it to newer OSs, So now a friend of mine keeps a room full of I-286s alive to have available to run it.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2010 07:24      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan:
All versions of MS-DOS worked on the 286. The last version of Windows that supported the 286 was 3.0

Your friend would probably be better off looking into emulation using DOSbox or Virtualbox.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2010 08:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GrumpySteen, Now the rest of the story, the Software vendor claimed they lost money on the product. Hence no updates to better OSs, and then he retired about a year ago. At one time he had a room full of 286 PCs to keep him in parts for his DOS program.

____ The input, Depth, Angle of each side of the chasm, number of Lanes. The program then figured the volume of fill to build a secure stable road bed.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2010 10:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Awww....that's cute and full of win. [Big Grin]

Though I'm pretty sure the cat was /mostly/ interested in it as a very fancy scratching post. [Wink]

Actually I think he was trying to catch whatever was on the screen. In the mind of a cat, anything that moves is pounceable or pawable, which is why it's so much fun to wave a laser pointer at a wall and watch the cat go berserk.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2010 12:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Laser pointers, also work the same way with eight year old Grand-Daughters. TheMoMan walks away shaking his head.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture