homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Some Fool did it again.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some Fool did it again.
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2010 16:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ For a week now the DNR (Department of Natural Resources) has been issuing Red Flag Warnings about open burning. Well one of the locals less than a mile away went to burn his ditches (kill the weeds). The winds came up and now we have had about a fifty acre forest fire.

____ The DNR fire crew has a bulldozer with a furrowing plow on the back, that sucker cuts a furrow almost four feet wide. The tractor is a little over powered, The operator can drop the plow and nail the throttle, it moves forward at up twenty-five MPH. We know the people he is a bonehead, she is nice.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2010 16:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupidity like that will get you jail time here in oz.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 02, 2010 21:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's jail time in Colorado too. Even if it's not, if my husband did something like that I'd divorce him for idiocy and I'd expect him to do the same if our roles were reversed. That's a reason to dissolve a marriage, right? [crazy]

Wildfires are a fact of life in Colorado. They rarely become big enough to make the national news but even a small burn is annoying and dangerous enough that people take the burn bans seriously. I'm not sure ditchburning is even allowed for ordinary citizens - the counties may handle that just so they know where and when to place fire trucks. Pretty much everyone who doesn't live well within a large town has had to evacuate at least once in any given five year period and some areas just seem to go up flames annually. We've even had wildfires in the middle of winter for crying out loud. The big snows don't stick around long below ~8000' and when it's all gone we've got all this dead dry grass and all you need is a spark and some wind. Fortunately, because the danger is so present and palpable and in this area people tend to live in their mountain homes year-round, people tend to be pretty good about maintaining fire breaks on their property, thus keeping the losses of structures to a minimum. That said, about six and a half years ago an entire small town was in danger of getting burnt to ash...and then the snow came. At Halloween. But that's pretty normal too.

What's really got us nervous though is the beetle-kill. I'm talking about entire mountainsides covered in dead trees. That's going to burn, sooner rather than later. In Canada and the PacNW there's a timber industry with all the accompanying industry to take those trees out and turn them into planks and paper, but here in Colorado, we never really had that and so the dead forests stand.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2010 02:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____ Well four years ago a farmer on the next road got burned so bad from his ditch burning that it caused his death.

____ Up here if you see equipment like this or painted USFS (Forest Service) Green with the red lights lit and the sirens on, some damn fool has done it again.

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/

_____ Just after harvest and while the grasses are green I burn fence rows, plowed ground on both sides, I also burn against the wind, much slower and harder to keep going. A month ago before it dried out I finished cleaning the rows. I am thinking of planting White Beans the fields have been fallow long enough.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2010 06:40      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen entire suburb subdivisions built in the middle of forests in the oregon desert. They build the housees cutting down as fwe trees as possible ( like they didn't kill a hundred trees for the wood for the house). It looks really nice, with all those houses amongst the trees, but I always thought it was like building your house in a tinder box.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2010 08:20      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad had a neighbor a few years back burn his house down burning trash. The neighbor didn't want to pay to take it to the dump....

What kind of white beans are you planting?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2010 09:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Navy the kind for soup. They store well and I could keep them off the market till prices go up.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2010 19:40      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We just had a 20 acre brushfire near hear Saturday night. It was about a half mile up the hill above my sister-in-law's house. The wind was whipping, so the in-laws were a little worried, but the firefighting crews put in a commendable effort and got it contained.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2010 12:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ The DNR fire crew has a bulldozer with a furrowing plow on the back, that sucker cuts a furrow almost four feet wide. The tractor is a little over powered, The operator can drop the plow and nail the throttle, it moves forward at up twenty-five MPH. We know the people he is a bonehead, she is nice.

Any chance it's one of these? (That's my family business, even though I don't work there... anymore! [Wink] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 06, 2010 13:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Stereo, Nope but the Highway department has that stuff for trimming the ditches.

____ Think John Deere 450J. Painted Red with a better roll cage, A huge cultivator on the back.
Flashing Lights and a water cannon with a special break away disconnect.

____ Transporter is like a giant roll bed wrecker, Three rear axles all with duals, Flashing Lights, Siren and painted Forest Service Red.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture