homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Woo Hoo!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woo Hoo!
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 16:16      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you know that I applied for graduation from university back in January, this was the last step in the long process of actually getting to graduate from my university. After waiting three more weeks than I expected, I finally got the letter from records and registration saying that once this semester's worth of credit hours are finished they're going to give me my degree.

So it's official, as of April 25th I will have my Bachelor's of Science degree in Biology.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 16:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! [Applause] [Applause]

btw - If you don't post a picture of yourself in a funny hat, none of us will believe you. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2010 18:01      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epic news Spaz! /me readies the kegs for the big day.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 06, 2010 22:20      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic, and a Magnificent Valour in there too! [Cool]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 03:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

________ GOOD ON YA

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 13:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray!!!
Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 14:38      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! You deserve it. I think we should now call you by a more positive sounding name, Reallyratherawesomegirl. [Smile]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 16:29      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent News! Well done, good show and all. [Big Grin]
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2010 23:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
however difficult you think college was, the real world is more difficult.

... I mean congrats!

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 13:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the real world harder than college? Can't say. I went straight to grad school without passing Go and collecting $200. But I'm one year out of grad school and I can say with certainty that the real world is much, much easier than that. Oh yes it is...

What's next Spaz? Job hunt or more schooling?

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 17:02      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody!

TFD, if you want pictures in funny hats I already have those, I don't need to graduate. [Razz]

MMB, if you're coming this way the beer's on me.

I need to work for a few years to pay off some of this student loan debt, but then it's off to grad school. I'd like to end up with a Ph.D. in marine invertebrates and/or environmental conservation. Right now I'm looking at some positions with US Fish and Wildlife in fisheries research, so I'm crossing my fingers.

--------------------
Things, and things.

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 19:34      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Right now I'm looking at some positions with US Fish and Wildlife in fisheries research
Boy are you in the right State! Or are you looking
to escape the grip of the mitten. Perhaps work in
some other environments that are... well... warm?

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 21:14      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually looking to head out west, because UP winters just don't seem awesome to me. Although, if I can find a decent job here that doesn't send me up north I may stay. It's kind of up in the air about where I'm headed.

--------------------
Things, and things.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 21:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go, Spaz! [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2010 23:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Is the real world harder than college? Can't say. I went straight to grad school without passing Go and collecting $200. But I'm one year out of grad school and I can say with certainty that the real world is much, much easier than that. Oh yes it is...

True, I suppose it is all dependant on what you studied (I only have a BS) and what you do (and for who), sometimes I wonder what my wife would say if I said I want to quit my job and deliver pizza for a living.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2010 07:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
sometimes I wonder what my wife would say if I said I want to quit my job and deliver pizza for a living.

I know this feeling all too well.

On occasion I wonder if I would be happier back doing welding or some kind of task like that.

Endless calls and paperwork get to be a bit trying after a few years. But really as I was told by someone that has known me for years.

"You may be good at that stuff, but what you do now makes you happy more often than it frustrates you. You wouldn't be happy doing anything else for very long."

But it is nice to nurse a fantasy from time to time.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2010 13:28      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!!! It is wonderful to hear.

We have a patron at the library who seems to be a perpetual student. We joke he has so many loans that he can't afford to graduate. [Smile]

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture