homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Dancing with...Buzz Aldrin?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dancing with...Buzz Aldrin?!
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2010 20:05      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ABC just announced their 2010 "Dancing with the Stars" line-up which includes (I almost can't believe this) 80-year-old Buzz Aldrin. Yes, Edwin E. Aldrin, second man to walk on the moon (or if you're a conspiracy buff, just add the word "allegedly"). Here's the full line-up.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2010 21:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one small Brisè for a man, a great Ballotté forward for mankind.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2010 22:34            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And with a slight "Damn you! [Big Grin] " to Tech Angel for stealing my thunder, herewith is the celebrity lineup for Season 10 of DWTS:

Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin (second man on the moon, commercial space advocate, person whose signed photograph hangs in Erbo's computer room)

Pamela Anderson (former Playboy Playmate, alleged actress, sole support of two dependents)

Erin Andrews (ESPN sportscaster famously caught naked in her hotel room by a Peeping Tom spycam)

Shannen Doherty (actress and Raging Biyotch Queen of the Universe)

Kate Gosselin (has 8 kids, was married to a dude named John, no further comments necessary or I'll start vomiting)

Evan Lysacek (U.S. figure skater who literally JUST found gold in Vancouver)

Niecy Nash (comedian, actress on Comedy Central's Reno 911!)

Chad Ochocinco (wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals, the only guy I know whose last name spells out his number)

Jake Pavelka (living embodiment of ABC cross-promotion, as he literally just finished up on Season 14 of The Bachelor)

Nicole Scherzinger (lead singer of The Pussycat Dolls...don't'cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like her? [Big Grin] )

Aiden Turner (actor on All My Children, and hence junior member of the ABC Cross-Promotion Squad)

Melissa Rycroft may join the hosting cast as a backstage interviewer, replacing Samantha. She can't do much worse, anyhow.

IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2010 23:11      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
And with a slight "Damn you! [Big Grin] " to Tech Angel for stealing my thunder,...

LOL - really! I feel your pain, Erbo. So many times on so many boards (professional or other) I've excitedly drafted a post with breaking news or a cool solution to a problem only to be beaten to it by someone else. It's good to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way. As a LONG time space program fanatic*, I really wanted to be "first" on Geek Culture with this particular piece of news - even did a search to see if someone else had already posted. Glad I made it for once. [Big Grin]

(*The one and only autograph I own is that of Dr. Wernher von Braun - even got to speak with him personally back in 1971!)

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2010 23:28            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Angel:
]LOL - really! I feel your pain, Erbo. So many times on so many boards (professional or other) I've excitedly drafted a post with breaking news or a cool solution to a problem only to be beaten to it by someone else. It's good to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way. As a LONG time space program fanatic*, I really wanted to be "first" on Geek Culture with this particular piece of news - even did a search to see if someone else had already posted. Glad I made it for once. [Big Grin]

Well, you earned it. Cheers and salutes. I was just kidding with the "Damn you!" thing anyway. [Big Grin]

On a more serious note, I open a question to the floor: Does having Buzz Aldrin as a celebrity contender on DWTS warrant another round of full-blown Officially Official Geek Culture DWTS Coverage ala Season 8 with The Woz? I do have a new laptop, so it might be easier for me to do this this time around...

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 00:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since figure skating is just dancing on Ice I would put my smart monex on the olimpian.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 14:14      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long before Michael Jackson every dreamed of it, Buzz did a pretty mean Moon Walk.

That is true! Yes indeed!

I hope I see Buzz do a version of Michael's on the show, just for funnies!

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2010 22:47            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Since figure skating is just dancing on Ice I would put my smart monex on the olimpian.

The historical record tends to support your view. Of the nine American DWTS winners thusfar, three of them have been Olympic athletes--one figure skater (Kristi Yamaguchi, season 6), one speed skater (Apolo Anton Ohno, season 4), and one gymnast (Shawn Johnson, season 8). Sports stars as a whole represent five out of nine of the winners, adding NFL running back Emmitt Smith (season 3) and Indy car driver Helio Castroneves (season 5).

Incidentally, we now have the pro pairings for our eleven stars. And my favorite of the field, Buzz Aldrin, is paired with one of my favorite pro dancers from the entire history of the show: Ashly DelGrosso, back after a long absence! Some other notables...Erin Andrews gets Maks The Heartthrob; Evan Lysacek gets Anna Tre-BUN-skaya (another of my favorites), Niecy Nash drew Louis Van Intensity; Chad Ochocinco got Cheryl Burke (who still has the winningest record among the American pros); Nicole Scherzinger got Derek Hough the young blonde guy; Aiden Turner got Edyta "Lady Legwarmer" Sliwinska, the series' "Iron Lady." (Edyta is the only pro to appear in all 10 seasons.)

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture