homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » ...and I did it all by myself....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ...and I did it all by myself....
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 10 posted February 21, 2010 04:18      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have mentioned in a few earlier threads that I have been running Ubunutu "Jaunty" from a USB drive on a little netbook.

Well - last night I decided it was time to install Jaunty on the HDD. I thought about dual-boot, but decided to wipe Windoze and go for a clean install.
It didn't work. Kernel Panic.
Re-install, re-boot.
Kernel Panic.
Checked all the boot settings.
Re-install, re-boot.
Kernel Panic.

I was not happy. Then I noticed, an option on the splash screen for alternative install modes. I wasn't sure what a couple of them were, but I thought I had nothing to lose from trying the "OEM install - manufacturer only" option.

Worked like a dream! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

So I ran the package updates, installed Wine, Spotify,BBC iPlayer Desktop, alos copied some of my files over from the 16GB SD card I was using as storage (that will now go in my camera).

All that is left is to install my All-in-One printer software and I will have a very capable little spare 'pooter. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2010 05:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grummash, you may find that CUPS will fill the bill. Xsane is a very good Scanner prog. and I believe there is Fax support in Ubuntu already.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2010 14:14      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan - linux drivers for my HP all-in-one printer are not actually proprietary HP software, although on the HP website there is a link through to where they can be downloaded.

HPLIPS (Hewlett Packard Linux Imaging & Scanning Software) is, as you will not be suprised to hear, basically CUPS and X-Sane rolled up into a package with a few printer-specific doo-dads.

The proprietary software to run on the iMac (my main computer) is very pretty, but annoyingly flaky. The X-Sane-based HPLIPS for Ubuntu is a bit ugly (dare I say...a bit OS 9? ...), but rock-solid.

A no-brainer, n'est ce pas?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 07:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grummash, along the same line, This weekend my laptop, a dell that is marginal for Ubuntu 256Meg of RAM. Started acting flaky, then started to not boot leaving me at a CLI screen, Now I could get into real trouble here, so I used a Puppy ISO to look around and surf but all of my Bookmarks and E-mail contacks would have to be ex/imported, Deciding that I was going to have to bite the bullet I set up a thumb drive with Puppy and was ready to have the laptop boot from removable media, when a new screen appeared. Contained on the screen was a restore feature, HOT @#$% it worked.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 13:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan - Much as I understand that there are geeks in this community that could explain all manner of computer-related ideas that I have never even heard of, I am still convinced that computers contain just a little bit of voodoo that pops-up to help every now and then- but only on a random basis! [Wink]

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2010 14:21      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grummash, You know that time at startup, that you can push some combination of keys and get into the BIOs or Firmware, well I was trying to do that when out of nowhere this screen with a big dialog box came up. One of the choices was restore, Ubuntu 8.04 LTS so I had to try that, and Karma smiled on me.

I sure felt lucky. As I did not lose anything and this little dell is still getting me to these Forums.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture