homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Topsy Turvy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Topsy Turvy
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2010 05:57      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe we are now living in a parallel universe. How else can you explain a primary player in the roots of the DOS/Windows hegemony coming over to the dark side?

http://www.macworld.com/article/146307/2010/02/ibm_apple_enterprise.html?lsrc=rss_main

quote:
“IBM is endorsing the notion that Apple is ready for business,” says Ed Brill, director of product management for Lotus Notes. “The Mac and the iPhone platforms are maturing to the mainstream part of the corporate environment. It’s no longer just marketing and the CEO who have Macs.”

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2010 13:11      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From, surely? [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2010 17:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
How else can you explain a primary player in the roots of the DOS/Windows hegemony coming over to the dark side?

Simple.
Gates shafted IBM, just as he's shafted everyone who ever did business with him.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2010 09:59      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but that was a long time ago. They did try to move OS/2 along on their own for a while. Well, maybe "try" is a bit strong. Remember those horrible Warp ads? Good lord.

I think more likely it's a side-effect of shedding their hardware businesses in favor of services.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 09:01      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IBM's been known for doing something funky now and again. They did have Paul Rand design their logo, after all. And their packaging. Usually, such trysts are short lived (though, they're still using the blue IBM logo).

The way I see this is that IBM is just trying to remain relevant, and to find any niche they can occupy before Microsoft gets there. Oh, and yeah, Apple's been slowly infiltrating corporate environments, one user at a time. So, why wouldn't they want to hop on that growing gravy train?

Plus, the PR is just too good to pass up.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 11:42      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that IBM hasn't been particularly interested in exclusively working with Microsoft in a long time. I remember when they had a whole series of TV commercials promoting their server hardware running Linux.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 21:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey...maybe IBM will make Apple suck substantially less for any environment other than home use?

I'm pretty sure Shroom will agree with me that Apple is *horrible* in supporting enterprise-like environments.

Aside: IBM is the only real manufacturer of the "Power" architecture, and was probably the primary vendor in Apple's last days of PowerPPC, as Motorola completely failed to deliver. They've been said to have made leaps and bounds since, and their stuff is used in some high-end computing clusters, as well as major gaming consoles. (I CBA to find out which, but one or both of PS3 and/or XBox 360 uses the Power architecture. I think it's the 360 natively, and it's the core of the "Cell" processor. I might be totally wrong, though...it's been awhile - and I'm not a gamer.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2010 21:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IBM as best I know really doesn't hold too many alliances to anyone. Instead they will hitch up to whomever will get them there the fastest.

Windows is a necessary evil since they are the biggest player in an enterprise environment. While they do also support Linux, it still doesn't have the market power Windows does.

And as Dman said, I am not impressed at all by what Mac offers for an enterprise. In all honesty, I feel that open directory is re-hashing what Windows did with NT 4.0.

That said, my company is currently working with Open Directory deployments, but it seems that OS X just can't do what Windows can do. Oddly enough their security causes more issues at making things secure for our software than Windows. We are stuck at time having to make decisions at losing abilities because they tend to do all or nothing scenarios.

Now I have had a chance to speak to a few people in IBM's dev group for one of their software groups. And while I have heard complaints about their customer service (granted it was for someone with a 9 year old version of the software) their development team seems to be constantly looking at what will give them an edge in the upcoming years.

I am honestly not surprised at this announcement. Things like iPhones and such have gained quite a bit of awareness in many people's minds. It is sad that I tend to have worse support issues with Macs and their way of doing things in a network environment than I do for Windows. And if IBM can figure out some way to make them play nice in the enterprise I will bow down to Big Blue. Sadly enough in a business environment I am personally not impressed with Macs. I am stuck with an iPhone for work personally, and while I think the iPhone makes a splendid portable gaming toy and web browser, it leaves me cold for its email support, and don't get me started on the phone quality. I would rather have a Blackberry, less features than an iPhone, but what it does have is much better suited for a business environment IMO.

So hats off to IBM if they can actually figure out how to do what Apple fails horribly at. Making apples work, at work.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture