homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » You have heard the news about Haiti (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: You have heard the news about Haiti
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 06:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Those of you that have good Short Wave radios tune to 14.300Mhz USB 14.265Mhz USB 7.045Mhz this will probably be packet or Morse Code. 3.72Mhz LSB this will be voice. USB/LSB upper and lower SideBand.

____ You can find out more on Ham Radio efforts at QRZ, notice that some of those guys are flaming idiots.

____ I wish that my health was good enough to go help, I do have a good rugged tent that might be of service, I'll see about sending that.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 14:16      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As if those poor people didn't have enough problems. [Frown]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 15:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hint

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 17:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, While the Red Cross, and Red Crescent do very good at aid. I prefer the Salvation Army. I used to do charity book keeping and more of a donation to The Salvation Army is actually spent on relief, just my take on things. YMMV

____Also the shysters are out already, filling my inbox with requests for assistance.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2010 21:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A reminder, as per MoMan -- DO NOT FOLLOW LINKS OUT OF E-MAIL SEEKING MONEY.
9 times out of 10, unless it's a legit charity you've given to, it's likely a scam.

Additionally, tons of bogus domain names will surely be registered, alleging to have news, or offer help -- they're either out there to spam you, rip you off, or infect your computer.

For news -- check a reliable site that you already trust. (I'm partial to NYT, BBC, Google News)

I second TFD's comment about the Red Cross, though the Salvation Army ought to be fine. This is a lazy link drop (stumbled on whilst going to stream radio), but here's a bunch of other likely fine places to help:
http://www.1019rxp.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=1184288

And naturally, the ISC has a number of stories on bogus domains/scams:

Domains being registered about the Haiti Earthquakes already
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7978

SMS Donations Advertised via Twitter
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7972

Haiti Earthquake: Possible scams / malware
http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=7966

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 06:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ From my sources these groups have people there: both before and now.

Doctors without Borders

Red Cross

Salvation Army

Catholic Aide

Unicef

Plus other faith based missions.

____ If, so moved Money is the most important, it will buy more supplies, fuel to get there. Money not spent now will be banked for the recovery effort and rebuilding.

____ Send Cash Now.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 08:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw - If you disagree with Pat Robertson's "pact with the Devil" theory, you can call 1-800-759-0700 and have a nice long conversation with his staff about it.

Every second you're on the line is costing him money.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 09:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I wish that were true, but I think that the bulk rate lines cost the same each day.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 09:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ I wish that were true, but I think that the bulk rate lines cost the same each day.

(completely off topic)

MoMan: I've always been curious why you prefix your paragraphs with underscores. Any particular reason you do that?

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2010 16:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Indenting to start a Paragraph, excess spaces get dropped and I am old school enough that I thought that each paragraph needed an indent.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2010 10:05      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long live proper grammar!

I don't feel a need to indent my paragraphs, but proper punctuation and capitalization are a must.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2010 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ This has become a boondoogle

A: A single airstrip visual flight rules

B: The port is destroyed

C: The roads are destroyed

D: Every thing is becoming boged down at the point of entry.

____ It is time to turn this into a Military Invasion, and think like it is. There are planes that can be used for close in drop, They are showing them in use but not correctly. The C-130 you put the wheels on the ground, throw a parachute out the back, the cargo is on the ground the plane jumps back into the air and goes home for more. The ground grews drag the load out of the way for the next plane to do a touch and go. Navy and Marine pilots did that manuover in Vietnam all the time dropping really big stuff like tanks, field guns, and trucks loaded to go deliver.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2010 04:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone is able to help, this organisation would be my suggestion.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2010 06:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ The problem is huge, 3 Million people in one area, all the buildings are suspect, or in the streets. Getting into town requires vertical deployment. Think of Normandy and the Allied Invasion, They probably need two or three more amphibious assault ships, plus landing craft, amphibious trucks. Cut down some of the trees along rural roads so they can be used as drop zones. Heavy equipment is in dire need.

____ The ships that are there can make fresh water, now get it to shore, and then distribute the water. I heard today that one UN hospital was vacated, leaving the patients in their beds, WTF?

____ Coodination of assets is not happening.

____ I can understand the frustration of the populace, but the rescue team was not just over the Horizon. There was not some whare house there with every thing that they needed for this problem.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2010 10:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of the problem with coordination is leadership on the ground in Haiti quite literally got smooshed. The government buildings are gone, so are the UN offices and the offices that belonged to other aid organizations already in Haiti. The head of the UN mission in Haiti is dead. The president of Haiti is still around, but many of his officials are dead, injured, or missing. And, of course, there's no way in. Imagine half your country gets utterly destroyed in a matter of seconds. No warning. Just rumble and boom and then the screaming starts.

The good news is Port-au-Prince is a stone's throw from Gitmo so it's not as if we don't have a good staging area.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2010 11:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Xanthine, You are quite right in that gitmo is close by. However are the Cubans going to let everybody use their airfields, the US Navy does not have an airfield in Cuba.

____ The problem is not the groups that wnt to help they are all good to go, except getting into Haiti. One Air Strip, one ruined Harbor No Air Traffic Control. Thursday they ran out of ground space for airplanes, nobody lands until somebody leaves.

____ I also think that a pool of reporters from all the networks would have better than each one sending their own news crews. Get them out of the way and send them home.

____ I was listening today on the MMSN Maritime Mobile Safety Net, I could have pressed key down but I listened because I could not offer a solution for the traffic, finally a gentleman from the intended area took the traffic and passed it on to the proper groups.

____ Right now too many people are not part of the solution, from here give money.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2010 14:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, my labmates and I were looking at a map yesterday trying to figure out how aid could approach Haiti and we just sort of assumed Gitmo would be a good staging area...we didn't actually know what is and isn't available at Gitmo. [blush]

Not only can they not land more planes until someone leaves, no one can leave until they have some fuel. I did read that the Navy is sending in salvage teams to try and get the port back in working order. They've also got a hospital ship and some other goodies on the way. Also, the Coast Guard's sent in a ship that can act as a control tower for aircraft, but all of these things take time. And they've sent a drone over the area to take pictures and triage neighborhoods. Right now it sounds like what aid is getting in has to come in overland via the Dominican Republic. Better than nothing and very good of the DR to allow it, but not good enough.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2010 15:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
are the Cubans going to let everybody use their airfields, the US Navy does not have an airfield in Cuba.

Are you sure about that?

And aid flights to Haiti can use Cuban airspace

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2010 03:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ At the time, I replied Raul had not yet made his declaration.

____ The problem is logistical, how do we get the aid to where it needs to be.

____ It seems almost everyone in the world wishes to help, now to get around the logjams.

____ Edit to post link to actual sound files from Haiti

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=4137

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 17, 2010 13:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: An op-ed suggesting Xanthine's Gitmo theory...
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/opinion/17hansen.html

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 05:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

Big green helicopter lands, a bunch of guys in uniforms get out and say
"I'm from the US government, I've come to take you to Guantanamo"

Not the most appealing offer...

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 06:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Conditions in Haiti are so bad that many would jump for that offer.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 06:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Conditions in Haiti are so bad that many would jump for that offer.

They could try to hitch a ride on a cruise ship instead.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 11:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ There are more than two sides to this whole mess. The money the passengers paid was already spent months ago to take this trip.

____ Could the cruise ship have delayed in Fla. to take on more aid supplies before casting off?

____ Some of the passengers would welcome aiding, some would be revolted, some may jump ship to try to help.

____ I myself think the stop is in bad taste.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 12:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You took the words out of my mouth, MoMan.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture