homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » A Little Bird

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Little Bird
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2009 17:53      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday we bought my youngest son a winter coat. When we got it back home, in one of the pockets we found a small piece of white card cut into the shape of a bird with this handwritten message.
 -

My guess is that it was slipped in by someone in the factory where the coat was made. What a very beautiful thing to do!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2009 20:03      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really cool Calli! Thanks for sharing that.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 01, 2009 20:57      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neat!
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2009 21:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool [Smile] ...though it potentially has a very profound, non-green meaning. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2009 03:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Very cool [Smile] ...though it potentially has a very profound, non-green meaning. :/

Yes, and I have actually been very moved by this. It's like receiving a poem. Someone I don't know has reached out and touched me from the other side of the world. I look at the coat differently now too. Usually when you buy clothes, the only human transaction is between you and the retailer, now I have a connection with the people who made it, and I wonder who made the coat, and gave me this little bird, and what her (or less likely, his) life is like, and have the (probably vain) hope that her working conditions are not too inhuman.

I only wish I could thank the maker for their beautiful gesture.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 02, 2009 08:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've posted this on our front page, in the hopes of increasing the odds that the artist will see this.

(Cali, if you have a better picture of The Little Bird, email it to me.)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2009 12:59      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2009 15:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calli - at first I thought this was the sweetest thing I had seen for a long time....then it troubled me...then, after further rumination, I am pleased to have returned to my original thinking.

Let me explain, and bear in mind that I don't know the country of manufacture of the coat.

At first I saw the little bird as the simple human gesture of sending a message to whoever may happen to receive it. But then I was troubled by the use of the phrase "to end up" - this use of the vernacular seems odd if we assume that the little bird was sent by someone, probably a young person, in a developing country. I was hoping that this was not simply a cynical marketing exercise.

Then I thought about the coat being made by a young person in a factory in a developing country - what if that person was learning English from a TEFL teacher? There might be plenty of scope for picking up vernacular phrases if that were the case. And if the young person has access to a TEFL teacher and time enough away from the factory to make the little bird (and probably others as well) and is clearly thinking about other people in other lands, then the picture becomes much more positive than simply child labour in a sweatshop.

And so I am encouraged to once again think of the little bird in terms of its face value - a simple human gesture of the most heart-warming kind. [Smile]

PS - I'm thinking 'finch' - any other ideas?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2009 16:55      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everybody!

What a very special note!

I think about it and wonder if this might be a school assignment. Maybe a teacher asked her class how to reach out to the world, and wonder just how small a world it is!

Just a thought.

I like the way the bird eye is the letter I. That is what makes me smile the most!

Mr. Geek2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture