homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Hey, I'm Back! Sorta …

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, I'm Back! Sorta …
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 12:27      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all, it's been a while. Wow, how time flies. So, last time I was here I spread the sad news that Mrs. Tweety and I were no longer employed. Well, there's good news on that front and bad news everywhere else. Let's start with the good news.

Mrs. Tweety found a great position with a company that's literally a 15 minute drive from where we live. The hours are really good, too. Most days she's home before 6. As for my employment prospects, well, I'm still looking, but that's been put somewhat on hold (explanation forthcoming), but there may be some opportunities coming up that might actually have a shot of panning out. I'm not holding my breath, but, one can hope. I'd say more, but I don't want to jinx anything (yeah! superstition!).

Well, now, on to the bad news, which relates to why my job search is somewhat on hold. Oh, this also relates to why I've been absent for so darned long. Early June my father-in-law (hereby known as FIL) was rude enough to get inbetween a reversing full sized 4-door sedan and a brick wall. His lower left leg was nearly completely amputated, but through some really damned fine medical treatment, and what seems to be his own body's ability to heal, it's been reattached. The bone isn't healed (it's just wrong when the leg bends below the knee), though, and that's presenting some problems. But, from what I understand, the docs don't think the bone will really heal for quite some time, and the orthopedic surgeon on his case is very good. The doc seems to have some ideas, but as is true in these cases, time will tell.

Anyway, we moved in with my in-laws to help out, what with my FIL not being able to work and my MIL not earning enough to support the house, etc. This means that I'm the designated caregiver/chauffeur/appointment maker. I'm also playing point with the lawyers, but that seems to suit all of us just fine as I have the best understanding of law, though IANAL. His condition is progressing, he's had all of the external fixator removed at this point, skin grafts look to have healed, and he's started physical therapy (though, that's on hold right now as he needs support for the leg and knee; again, the bone hasn't healed). He can't drive (nor, get into the drive's seat), wash himself, nor can he do much of anything complicated in the kitchen. Crutches are a two handed sport, and wheelchairs don't give access to top shelves. No one, including the doctors, expect that he will be able to work again. The injury was too severe, and his leg swells up like a balloon whenever he puts his leg down, even if it's flat in bed.

Hmm … I think that's all I can really share on this one. Lawsuit and all.

That's what I've been up to since June. In fact, we spent pretty much two months in the hospital, morning, noon and night, until my FIL was allowed home.

So, I'll be around, I think. Schedules keep changing weekly, being a manny is a lot of work, and when I do steal some time for myself, it's never enough. But, I will try to make it on over once in a while. It's been a long haul, and the road ahead shoots straight through the horizon, but I'm hoping for the best.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 14:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety - life has certainly been dealing you some tricky cards of late! I hope you can stay in good spirits till the good times come round again.

.. and here's hoping your FiL continues to make progress with his recovery.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 17:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Tweety That Sucks, Glad to hear from you, even if the news is not good. So many people drift away leaving no trace. So please check in as often as you can, I'll keep some Molson in the fridge for you.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 06:51      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the well wishes. Very much appreciated.

MoMan – Don't think I've ever had a Molson before. Around the Tweety abode it's Becks, Negra Modelo, Sam Adams, Ichibon, or whatever Russian/Eastern European beer strikes the fancy of whoever's buying. But, I'll go for that Molson.

What's really good, though, is a nice Chianti with Fava beans. [evil]

Grummash – Well, it's been a wild ride for quite some time, but this definitely tops it all. One thing that helps take the edge off is knowing that the four of us (MiL, FiL, Mrs and myself) make a very tight knit family. It amazed me, and still does, that there were people in the hospital whose family rarely, if ever, came to visit. Meanwhile, we were there everyday, and during the ICU trips, 24 hr rotations.

This last year, year and a half has actually been quite craptacular on the health front. Not only with what happened with my FiL, but my eldest brother was diagnosed with cancer. A rather large, nasty soft tissue cancer, of which I forget the name. So far, though, he's looking to be rid of it. Just a round of radiation and we'll see. Late last year my Step-mom was diagnosed with colon cancer, which is what got my mom. She's better now, seems to be rid of it as well.

Cancer, death, nasty accidents. I'm beginning to feel like the Grim Reaper, or his little dog. Not sure which, yet.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 10:07      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tweety... Thems some rough knocks. Good to see family is sticking together. Hope FiL is getting better.

/me Takes TheMoMan's hint and rolls out a Keg of Molson Canadian and taps it.

Now lets have a few beer shall we

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 11:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ One of the few blessings of being in Michigan is: That there are Tim Hortons, and most party stores stock Molson.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2009 12:43      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! Hang in there. Hoping for fast healing and new jobs.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture