homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Apple's iPod event

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple's iPod event
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 12:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Apple's iPod event in San Francisco went off without a hitch, featuring the appearance of His Jobsness and musical guest Norah Jones.

Highlights:

iPhone OS 3.1 - Features lots of goodies, including "App Genius" (recommends apps for you based on what you already have). 30K ringtones also available, from 4 labels, $1.29 a pop. New OS should be available today, free for both iPhone and iPod Touch.

iTunes 9 - Genius Mixes, improved syncing, iPhone/iPod Touch app management (!), Home Sharing, redesigned Store, "iTunes LPs" and "extras" for movies. Also should be out today.

iPod Touch - Price drop, new 64 Gb model at high end (faster, better graphics too). Lots of sweet games available; Apple is starting to push it as a better handheld game system than Nintendo DS or Sony PSP.

iPod Classic - Stays same price, but goes from 120 Gb to 160 Gb.

iPod Shuffle - New headphones, headphone adapter, song/playlist readback, new colors, new prices, stainless steel model available.

"One more thing..."

iPod Nano - Gets a video camera (!), mic, speaker, cover flow, voiceover ala Shuffle, Genius Mix, FM radio (!), voice recorder, pedometer, new colors.

(No camera for the iPod Touch though...)

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 14:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
iPod Nano - Gets a video camera (!), mic, speaker, cover flow, voiceover ala Shuffle, Genius Mix, FM radio (!), voice recorder, pedometer, new colors.

This could be interesting.

All those places that have banned mobile phones because they can take pictures (gyms, saunas, secret government torture camps, etc) are going to have to ban iPods now.

Can you imagine all those fitness junkies making it through a workout without their iPod?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 17:42      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's the plan. All the gym rats will have to go buy a shuffle now to go with their nano. Ca-ching!

Seriously, the shuffle is way better for working out anyway, isn't it? Much more unobtrusive.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 19:52            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have upgraded both myself and Sabrina to iTunes 9 and iPhone OS 3.1. All looks good so far.

The iPhone update came with AT&T carrier definition 5.0 (as opposed to 4.0 with iPhone OS 3.0.1), but the MMS controls are still not present. But AT&T is supposed to do something about that on September 25.

And I can verify that the "dodge" for getting "homebrew" ringtones into iTunes (by using "Play" from Windows Explorer) still works in iTunes 9.

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 20:03            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the stats The Jobs threw out there are kind of impressive, too...

- 30 million iPhones sold worldwide.

- 75,000+ apps in the App Store, 1.8 billion downloads.

- iTunes is the #1 music retailer in the world, with 8.5 billion songs downloaded and 100 million user accounts.

- Over 220 million iPods sold to date, one of the single most successful products in history.

- US market share of iPod: 73.8%. 2nd place is "Other" with 18%. Microsoft has around 1%. [Big Grin]

- 20 million+ iPod Touches sold (making a total of 50 million App Store-compatible devices).

- Games in the App Store (available for iPhone and iPod Touch): 21,178. Compare 3,680 for Nintendo DS and 607 for Sony PSP.

- Over 100 million iPod Nanos sold, by far the most popular MP3 player out there

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 9 posted September 09, 2009 23:40      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww, I was so excited abut the Touch getting a camera along the Nano, but it turned out not [Frown]

I'd be so getting a Touch with camera anytime instead of a netbook.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2009 15:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erbo wrote:
- Games in the App Store (available for iPhone and iPod Touch): 21,178. Compare 3,680 for Nintendo DS and 607 for Sony PSP.

Of course, 20,000 of the games are little more than a a button which makes fart sounds when pressed...

</snark>

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2009 19:44      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
But that's the plan. All the gym rats will have to go buy a shuffle now to go with their nano. Ca-ching!

Seriously, the shuffle is way better for working out anyway, isn't it? Much more unobtrusive.

Yes, Mr. Ugh! You are right.

My iPod Nano used to come loose off my armband when I ran. I can clip my little shuffle to the band in my running shorts and I don't even know it is there, except for listening to my music!

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2009 19:47      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I like the new iPod touch.

I'm sure glad MacManKrisK invented it! And I am honored that I can read his posts in this forum!

I bet he's the Woz's nephew or something. Just a hunch!

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2009 11:11            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
All those places that have banned mobile phones because they can take pictures (gyms, saunas, secret government torture camps, etc) are going to have to ban iPods now.

And that appears to be exactly what's happening.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture