homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Proud to be british

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proud to be british
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2009 00:08      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the greatest spirit of "because it's there", a British team has broken the land speed record for steam-powered cars. I don't know if it has made the foreign news, but in the UK we take this sort of thing seriously.

Link

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2009 05:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LF -- you don't need steam cars to make you proud of your country -- you already have Jimmy Savile, mushy peas and Half Man, Half Biscuit.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2009 05:43      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not too sure about Jimmy Saville myself. I guess not locking him up for being a total loon is something to be celebrated. Every now and again I consider buying some HMHB - any recommendations?
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2009 15:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<slightly off-key singing>

"No draughts 'cause that'd be daft
a feather acknowledges Newton
And the ball and chain they use on the pane
can only smash yer nerves"

</slightly off-key singing>

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted August 26, 2009 15:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't really expect us to believe that you've actually stopped singing off-key do you?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2009 16:25      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errrr....No. [Frown]

I had a reasonable tenor singing voice until I was almost nineteen - then my voice broke......

...into a thousand tiny pieces! [Eek!] [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2009 05:50      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Not too sure about Jimmy Saville myself. I guess not locking him up for being a total loon is something to be celebrated. Every now and again I consider buying some HMHB - any recommendations?

I Hate Nerys Hughes.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2009 07:38      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was expecting crowing about the Ashes from your subject line. [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 27, 2009 09:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I was expecting crowing about the Ashes from your subject line. [Smile]

The poms had outside help there...

-

quote:
From TFA:
It must have been a special afternoon at The Oval as it even brought together Harry Potter and his arch-rival Draco Malfoy.

Nothing short of Wizardly Intervention could explain the English win.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2009 10:12      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are the most bulbous microphone wind screens I've ever seen.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2009 13:52      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not a microphone screen. He's levitating a yellow ball in front of his face with magic.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2009 03:27      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping this back to the top of the list, since I've found another story which truly glorifies our nation:
Another world record. And this time it involves tea. Specifically, the greatest number of aerobatic loops whilst drinking it.

And as an aside, I've never understood why the Aussies call us "whinging poms". The excuses about the ashes simply show how hypocritical they are. [evil]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2009 05:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've never understood why the Aussies call us "whinging poms".

Whinging again, eh?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2009 07:58      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the greatest spirit of "because it's there", a British team has broken the land speed record for steam-powered cars. I don't know if it has made the foreign news, but in the UK we take this sort of thing seriously.

Link

It went throughout a lot of the car sites I am a member of. Basically the lowbrow chav type folks that talk horsepower and torque curves. Definitely not a big part of the GC crowd stuff.

A fantastic record. I am not entirely sure if you would brag about having the fastest steam car around. Isn't that kind of like making an updated version of the musket? Or having the fanciest outhouse?

[Smile] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2009 12:37      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:

Link

It went throughout a lot of the car sites I am a member of. Basically the lowbrow chav type folks that talk horsepower and torque curves. Definitely not a big part of the GC crowd stuff.

A fantastic record. I am not entirely sure if you would brag about having the fastest steam car around. Isn't that kind of like making an updated version of the musket? Or having the fanciest outhouse?

[Smile] [Wink] [Razz]

Ah but a lot of critical modern day stuff relies on steam technology. Pushing the envelope to make it more efficient with this car will no doubt improve the efficiency of large marine engines, nuclear powerplants and making tea. All of which are vital.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2009 12:40      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This was never meant to be a pissing contest, more a celebration of Britains glorious inventiveness and eccentricity.
We do also hold the absolute land speed record, in case you were unaware. link

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture