homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Goodbye analogue TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goodbye analogue TV
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 12, 2009 09:05      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
June 12 2009 is the day when, as mandated by law, all analogue broadcasts of television will cease in the United States.

awwww!

Gotta get me a one of those fancy-pants digital antenna and see what I can pick up. [Geek]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2009 09:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't waste the money. There are only two things you'll be able to pick up now...

1 and 0

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2009 09:29      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Local TV news is saying if you're one of the people that wasn't ready for DTV today give us a call. Um hello, they can't see the broadcast!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2009 09:37      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that mean I should get rid of the huge CRT I inherited from my ex?
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2009 10:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ BooBooKitty ____________

That depends on what Industry Canada rules on the TV standards. Truthfully the old US standard was plenty good but some one convinced the FCC that by going digital more licenses could be sold, (more fees to the FCC), so every TV that can not be adapted to Digi is junk. If you watch American TV a Digi-box will keep the old thing going. I bought two Digi-Boxes, one for the motor home and one for out in the barn, I don't have Satt. out there. The old analog units are still useful for Tornado detection as they will pickup the electrical activity of a tornado.

____________ On an Analog TV

To see what a tornado signature looks like, disconnect the cable, tune to channels 2 thru 5 and turn on a blender, Vacuum cleaner, or a kitchen mixer. You should see sound bars across the screen, with rabbit ears during a tornado alert channel 3 or 4 showing the bars head for shelter.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2009 10:24      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. Both of our TVs are CRTs and work perfectly fine, we have cable. Still no need to dump them and buy an HDTV. We won't be buying HDTVs until the old sets die or can afford one.

quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
Does that mean I should get rid of the huge CRT I inherited from my ex?

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2009 11:00      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a digital cable box connected to the CRT and it seems to work well enough at the moment. I will get some pixelation when I try to record using the VCR. [Razz]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture