homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » For the CoffeeGeeks: Bean Storage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For the CoffeeGeeks: Bean Storage
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 11:09      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know there's at least one serious coffeegeek here. (I thought of you when I saw this, Dman.)

For Better Coffee, Store Your Beans

Some good tips there. We still need to get a grinder. I much prefer grindiing my own fresh.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 15:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just skimmed that...and damn - I'm nowhere near that hardcore. (But I still make a pretty mean cup of coffee.)

I buy 1/2 of coffee at a time, ground on the spot from a place that touts freshly roasted beans. That lasts me about a month, and I keep it in an airtight canister. (Which would get me lynched by the writer, as it could trap some moisture in with the coffee...let alone the /ground/ factor.)

I can't conceive of going that extreme...and I've been there, done that...via an ex-girlfriend who had a 'grind and brew' machine. Ugh...way too much work - especially the cleanup. I mean, ffs, it's nice to be able to go to bed at night without spending 10 minutes cleaning a friggin' machine so it'll be ready in the morning. Ack! I use a Melitta filter which makes one delicious cup of coffee right into my cup, and goes through the dishwasher.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 16:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ fs __ Back in sixty nine I really enjoyed good coffee on board ship, the Chiefs mess was the best. Now Micky D's thinks they have a premium Coffee, tastes like manure to me. How ever after my bout with High Blood Pressure, and Prostrate Cancer, I am supposed to drink DECAFE what the %^&** is that stuff, and it doesn't even taste like good coffee. Well I guess its warm and dark colored so thats close enough.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 18:27      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are serious about coffee it's worth checking out his other articles in this series, and in particular this one and the discussion in the comments, about how to make the best coffee.

I seldom drink coffee, as it gets me too psyched (or at least strong coffee does, which is the only coffee worth drinking). However I make my wife a pot most mornings. I don't go to all the trouble he does, but boil the kettle, then wait for one minute before pouring it over the coffee in the cafetiere/press pot. It seems to make pretty good coffee.

What method do you think makes the best coffee?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2009 19:29      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
How ever after my bout with High Blood Pressure, and Prostrate Cancer, I am supposed to drink DECAFE what the %^&** is that stuff, and it doesn't even taste like good coffee. Well I guess its warm and dark colored so thats close enough.

MoMan: Good Decaf coffee *can* be found, but you will pay for the premium. Processing costs, and the remnants of the decaffeinating process... Alton Brown explains it much better than I ever could...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2009 03:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ MacManKrisK __ Thanks.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2009 04:06      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
What method do you think makes the best coffee?

I think both the french press and the drip brewed coffee are good in different ways. There's definitely a difference in flavor that comes from soaking the grounds in the water rather than running through in the automatic drip machine. I usually use the machine in the mornings.

I've also been using this recipe to cold brew for a couple years now. I use it for iced coffee in the summer.

I've always wanted to try a vacuum pot. Just because they look neat.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2009 13:47      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got Mike a french press at Christmas and he really likes it.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2009 16:11      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best coffee-making method is the simplest:

1) Boil some water, then let it stand for one minute.
2) spoon freshly ground coffee (medium to coarse) into a thick-walled 250ml glass tumbler
3) Fill the tumbler with the boiled water
4) stir vigorously, add sugar if desired
5) when the grounds have settled, the coffee will be at just the right temperature to drink

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2009 10:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister swears by the French press and I must agree, there's a weird edge in drip coffee that isn't in the French press. I'm thinking of getting one.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture