homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Swine Flu Roundup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swine Flu Roundup
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 03:03      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that the WHO has upgraded the swine flu alert to level 5 and renamed it, the internet panic is in full swing. Never before have so many people had so much access to speculation, soundbites, hyperbole, and been able to spread it with such speed! (Of course, we all know that humanity will survive, because it's only 2009.)

You can indulge your paranoia in style. (I'm partial to the one with the pig snout, myself.)

Or upgrade your workspace with germaphobe gadgets.

Monitor Google for the approach of the virus or track it on your iPhone (assuming that Apple approves the app).

But seriously, if you do have any flu symptoms, go see a doctor. Don't wait around. And get information and updates from reputable sources.

(I do think more information about the origin is going to be interesting, but I'm just a geek like that.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 03:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ fs __ From what I can gather, there appears to be two or three related strains, That the pigs are disavowing. Mexico is blaming the WHO for/of dragging their feet,

I guess avoid crowds and sneezy, coughing people.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5421 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 01, 2009 04:01      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to WHO, you should only see a doctor when having the symptoms AND having contact with people confirmed infected or their environments, this is in order to not obstruct investigation.

If you're having the symptoms but it's unlikely you are under the conditions described first, you may just have a regular flu, just follow the initial steps and stay home and rest, if your condition worsens, you must see a doctor in any case, be it swine or seasonal flu.

As a reminder, swine flu is not lethal in most cases. Plus, we're also on a regular flu season which usually takes lives, so maybe most people are overreacting over this.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 06:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought of the perfect invention. A suppository marketed as a swine flu prophylactic that is laced with valium.

This way all those hypochondriacs chill out a bit, plus somethign gets shoved up thier bum (as revenge for annoying me so much).

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3079 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 06:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look on the bright side, no employer is going to ask questions if you call in sick with the flu.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10434 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 09:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not really a complete round up until you have at least one link to a conspiracy theorist's mad ravings.

For the sake of your sanity, don't try to listen to or make sense of the entire 10:41.

But don't worry... we have reassurances that swine flu will not be a big deal.
(honestly, this is the first time a psychic has said something that didn't immediately set off my BS meter... granted, she's parroting what the CDC has said, but still).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6361 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 09:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's SARS all over again! Whee!! Remember SARS? How it was new! And it's killing people! Except when you sit down and crunch the numbers, SARS is less deadly than your ordinary flu. Didn't stop the world from going mad though. [Roll Eyes]

/me is not impressed or even all that concerned...yet

I'm blaming the press. They're doing a piss-poor job of passing real information along and an excellent job of creating panic.

Steen, I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 10:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just SARS but bird flu, Mad Cow Disease and a long list of others.

I think humans just evolved to worry about immediate dangers and we instinctively latch onto whatever dangers are presented to us, whether they're realistic or not. Intellectually we can overcome the tendency but, unfortunately, the majority of people rely on emotion and instinct rather than intelligent thought.

I'm quite cynical, aren't I [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 10:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ Everybody __ Is stomping on Chicken Little.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5421 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2009 12:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://doihaveswineflu.org

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

HongKongMusic
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 19785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 18:13      Profile for HongKongMusic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what are they doing in YOUR area for prevention? Here in Hong Kong, the usual paths for transmission of colds are cleaned with bleach hourly, including elevator buttons, door buttons. There's 3-part decontamination mats inside every public doorway. Public toilets are cleaned 3 times a day. A holiday camp on the edge of town has been dedicated as a quarantine center. And that's just what's happening this week, when there's only 1 reported case here....
Posts: 4 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 21:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HongKongMusic wrote:
So what are they doing in YOUR area for prevention?

Nothing different than from any other year, which is appropriate since several hundred people die in this country from the flu every flu season and this particular strain has killed only one person as of yesterday according to the CDC.

Yes, it borders on being a pandemic, but pandemic refers to the spread of the virus and not the severity, a fact that is conspicuously absent in news stories (probably because it would calm people and reduce ratings/readership).

The fact is, you aren't that likely to catch it and if you do, you're very unlikely to die from it. Most people just recover on their own and, as far as I know, the few who have died did not seek medical help even when they were having trouble breathing, their fingernail beds were turning blue, etc.

And now that I've added something valuable to the conversation, we'll get to my real reason for posting:

The CDC/WHO has been pushing for this to be called H1N1 to avoid the inappropriate association with pigs (which are already being killed for no reason in some places due to stupidity and panic.

I was looking at that name earlier and, due to my unfortunate exposure to 1337 speak, I actually read it as "hiney flu" at first.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 03, 2009 22:58      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not eating at Taco Bell 'cause like I heard from a friends, friends, friend that his brother's cousin's uncle heard from a friend that read it on facebook from a person that posted on twitter that had a cousin that posted it on myspace from a post he saw on a fox news forum that you can like get it from eating Mexican food.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2009 23:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from HKM
quote:
So what are they doing in YOUR area for prevention?
feeding the fear...

Since that will increase sales of Tamiflu ( produce ca 800m from where I live) and increase overall the standard of living In my city. This will halp because there is a direct relationship when comparing standard to the likelyhood of dying from desease. (influenza included)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2009 08:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've noticed extra signs next to the Purell dispensers on campus.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2009 09:29      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cancelled the trip I wasn't planning to make to Mexico.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6520 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 07:32      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to look at pigs or even pictures of pigs.
Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 08:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My company sent out a memo today offering face masks and tamiflu to anyone traveling (on busuness) and who thinks they may need it.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 09:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
I refuse to look at pigs or even pictures of pigs.

Me too. I also refuse to recognize the sovereignty of Mexico.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6520 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 12:15      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S. No Longer Advising Swine Flu School Closures

From the article... "Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Tuesday that the swine flu virus had turned out to be milder than initially feared."

Well... DUH! [crazy]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 12:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
U.S. No Longer Advising Swine Flu School Closures

From the article... "Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said Tuesday that the swine flu virus had turned out to be milder than initially feared."

Well... DUH! [crazy]

*sigh*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2009 23:07      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that really changed around here was the overabundance of bad swine flu jokes. I've been recovering from a bad cold that developed into a bit of a sinus infection. Hearing "swine flu" every time I sneezed or blew my nose was getting a little old.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.