homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Hugo Nominations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hugo Nominations
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 01:30      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This year's Hugo Nominations are posted.

How cool that Schlock Mercenary is nominated! Is this the first time a webcomic is on the list, does anyone know?

And how to choose between Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and Doctor Who: "Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead"???

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 08:11      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends how you see it. I know that last year, Phil Foglio was on the list of nominees as best professionnal artist for a cover book and two comics (one web adaptation of printed material: "What's new with Phil and Dixie", and one first published on web: "Girl Genius").

But it is the first year (to my knowlege) that there is an official "Best graphic story" category that comprises webcomics. If the next WorldCon maintains it, it will become a permanent category.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 08:28      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
Depends how you see it. I know that last year, Phil Foglio was on the list of nominees as best professionnal artist for a cover book and two comics (one web adaptation of printed material: "What's new with Phil and Dixie", and one first published on web: "Girl Genius").

I was asking about comics that originated on the web. I'm pretty sure Girl Genius started out in print?

quote:
But it is the first year (to my knowlege) that there is an official "Best graphic story" category that comprises webcomics. If the next WorldCon maintains it, it will become a permanent category.

I don't think it comprises web comics exclusively. I'm pretty sure most of the nominations are print. It would be pretty awesome if they added a web comic category though.

--------------------

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 08:36      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my e-ballot and I am making my decisions. But I think "Who" will get my vote in that category, the question is which ep. I'll have to dig out and review the episodes

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 09:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:

I was asking about comics that originated on the web. I'm pretty sure Girl Genius started out in print?

True enough in absolute form; but for a few years, it's been available on the web first, then published on paper. So it's all about how you define webcomic. (Web only? started on the web but may have moved to other media? available on the web at some point? something else?)
quote:

I don't think it comprises web comics exclusively. I'm pretty sure most of the nominations are print. It would be pretty awesome if they added a web comic category though. [/QB][/QUOTE]
Could be a word misuse on my part. To me "comprises" does not mean "only with", but "among others". It wouldn't be the first time that I fall for a false friend.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 09:44      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
I got my e-ballot and I am making my decisions. But I think "Who" will get my vote in that category, the question is which ep. I'll have to dig out and review the episodes

Oh I don't think there's any contest between the Dr. Who episodes up. "Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead" is orders of magnitude better than the other nomination.

--------------------

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 13:11      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo I fully expect to see you at Anticipation! If you are a fan, and if you want to meet these geniuses. Go to the con. I am running the ASFA suite with a friend of mine. It's almost on your doorstep, be there! Experience the parties, laughter, the sadness, all of it.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 20, 2009 13:30      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
Stereo I fully expect to see you at Anticipation! If you are a fan, and if you want to meet these geniuses. Go to the con. I am running the ASFA suite with a friend of mine. It's almost on your doorstep, be there! Experience the parties, laughter, the sadness, all of it.

'Course I'll be there. How I could miss this chance? And why do you think I have those three costumes (or more) planned? One from Girl Genius, one (or two) victorian/steampunk day dress, and one victorian/steampunk inspired ball gown.

So if you see a woman with a black tailed vest carrying an heliograph, or wearing a violet, black and gold outfit (hopefully with bird-looking armbands), that's me! (I'll be going by the name of Stereo of Wildthoughts, the first and second.)

Oh, and either I'll be at the dances or I'll put on my own steampunk ball. Gotta use those ballroom dancing lessons! [Big Grin] (Oh, but for the night, the colors are going to be emerald and copper.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture