homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Goodbye GC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goodbye GC
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2009 23:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In good conscience, I can no longer continue to participate in a forum where slander and libel are allowed to stand as fact and abuse is heaped upon those who dare to stand up to the offender.

I will check PMs and email if anyone wishes to contact me, but I will no longer be reading or posting in the forums and I do not know when, or if, I will ever resume doing so.

Fairwell.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 00:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
later,

Did I miss something?

These " golden rule" conversations seem cyclical. Was it always so?

Ash

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 07:47      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't check the forums much either. To much politics not enough Tech.

What happened to all the discussions about computers, digital photography, HTML, C++ and all other things dealing with electronics?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 16:19      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you check in regularly, just in case. To borrow from the band Rush, "[. . .] changes aren't permanent, but change is."

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 17:00      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope to run into you again Steen. It always has been a pleasure reading what you had to say.

I don't recall these conversations being as necessary in the past, but that we can't seem to end these cycles involving the exact same person would be the issue.

I enjoy politics, tech, history, whatever. I just have fun disagreeing with people amicably without having to walk on eggshells around certain topics, and a particular poster in particular. I'm still lurking, though I've been busy and less inclined to post.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 17:38      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
hatever. I just have fun disagreeing with people amicably without having to walk on eggshells around certain topics, and a particular poster in particular.

Yes, eggshells.

You never know when somebody will get upset when you compare them to a meth addict.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 18:48      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Yes, eggshells.

You never know when somebody will get upset when you compare them to a meth addict.

CP

Jeez Colonel as I said before You certainly can dish it out, but any time you get anything batted back, you act all sensitive, and start crying for mummy. Hard to believe a little flower like you was ever in the military. Perhaps you were in the army in the same way that you are black (i.e. not much and not really)?

Just grow a pair.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 20:43      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
[QUOTE]]Jeez Colonel as I said before You certainly can dish it out, but any time you get anything batted back, you act all sensitive, and start crying for mummy.

I'm not the one with the hurt feelings, Cali. Not the one quitting like Steen. Not the one crying for Snaggy. Not the one comparing people to meth addicts. Not the one who demands others shut up because they disagree with other political views. Not the one demanding people grovel. Not the one who took a minor disagreement out of the political forums thread and made it into a donnybrook in the news forum.

What a bunch of whiners.

Don't like the political posts? Don't read them.

Want more geek stuff? Respond when geek stuff is posted, or think up your own geek posts. Pretty simple isn't it?

Grow up Cali, Grow up Steen. Grow up Sxepto, Grow up Garlic.

Bunch of whining hypocrites.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 21:01      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:

What happened to all the discussions about computers, digital photography, HTML, C++ and all other things dealing with electronics?

Unfortunately Mac D, people don't read them. Or post them much anymore. And when a post is made on something geeky there isn't much response.

Post on Request for Comments regarding how internet protocols were established? 3 Posts.

Post on an Easter candy parody of a Steve Jobs presentation, zero posts.

Post on a cool geeky chair by Snags gets barely a half a dozen posts.

Post something political and there are more pages than most threads get posts.

I had a wonderfully geeky conversation this wee with somebody who admired one of my geeky posts involving over half a dozen exchanges of private emails. The "member" has never posted in here.

If you want to read geek, post geek. It's as simple as that.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 23:00      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
hatever. I just have fun disagreeing with people amicably without having to walk on eggshells around certain topics, and a particular poster in particular.

Yes, eggshells.

CP

Can't say I was particularly upset this time, as the similarity in behavior is more than passing. However, if you don't want to be compared to a meth addict, then don't act like one. Avoiding paranoia, obsessive behavior, and delusional constructed realities would be a good first step. The cyclical nature of your behavior would also mirror tweakers, who tend to get clean when their behavior becomes so extreme that even they can't ignore it any more, only to eventually fall back into it months later.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 23:29      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Unfortunately Mac D, people don't read them. Or post them much anymore. And when a post is made on something geeky there isn't much response.

Post on Request for Comments regarding how internet protocols were established? 3 Posts.

I had a wonderfully geeky conversation this wee with somebody who admired one of my geeky posts involving over half a dozen exchanges of private emails. The "member" has never posted in here.

Colonel Panic

I wouldn't stop posting those geeky ideas. I read tehm. I just usually don't have anything intelligent to add. Because politics is so dumb, most people can add something.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 03:35      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]I'm ... meth addicts. .... demands others ... political views..... wiffle waffle.... whiners..... whining hypocrites.
CP

You side stepped my original question. It was:-

quote:
Perhaps you were in the army in the same way that you are black (i.e. not much and not really)?
As you said in your thread on race and geeks....

Interesting.

I grew up in the immediate post war years, the 50's and 60's. Of my father's generation, there were two distinct ex military types. There were people like my father, who were generally very humble, because they knew they owed their lives to everyone around them, and only talked about their experiences reluctantly when pressed. He told me that WW2 was, in the main, 5 wasted years, though he was grateful that the army taught him to get on with, and appreciate everyone, from every walk of life. The most he would say about his decorations, was that he got them for being "a good chap", and that it was all due to him stumbling around in the woods and ending up in the wrong place. I understood his reluctance, after all he lost, among others, a beloved elder brother in the notorious Changi prison, and his best friend at Monte Cassino. The other type, were a rather pompous lot on the whole. They constantly referred back to WW2, used their military rank in civilian life, were full of bombast and bluster, and liked to say things like " I didn't fight in WW2, so a young layabout like you can (insert vice of your choice here)" . If one enquired a little more closely, one usually found that those from this latter group had actually spent most of the war at a desk job, or perhaps in the catering corps.

I hope you can see that there is a distinct parallel here between the real deal, the humble and genuinely heroic Moman, who has seen and done things no man should have to see or do, and whose military service haunts him, and yourself, full of piss and vinegar, constantly demanding respect for your alleged service to your country, who can't get on with anyone unless they constantly massage your ego. So my enquiry as to your actual military record, (like yours about geeks and race), is serious and genuine. After all you have as good as admitted that your racial sensitivity has no foundation, you look white, you were raised white, you are culturally white, and you act white. It swims like a white man, quacks like a white man, you are Colonel, in every single sense that matters, a white man. What on earth can anyone say to you that might "hurt" you, little flower, unless either you are secretly ashamed either of your ancestry, or perhaps of something in your past? In which case who is really the bigot here Corporal Panic?

Yes, interesting....

--------------------

Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 06:38      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Colonel Panic

I think it has more to do with all the people that did post on geek topics got scared off. They got sick of the politics and the name calling and the hate. This used to be a happy place I could come to. And it should return to that. We just need to get the politics out more and I think that people will start back up with the nerdy talk and maybe new members would stay when they see the stuff they came here to see.

Most of the posts that I have see here would be more at home on forums on other pages. So people move on when they see that "Geek Culture" has nothing to do with geeks but rather just what the residents of the white house are doing. If I wanted to see people talk about that I would go to a different website.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 14, 2009 08:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're on our first real vacation in 10 years, and we're at a place with no Internet, so I don't know what's going on and don't have time to find out now.

somebody email me the Cole's notes.

[shake head]

Note to self: This is the last time I go somewhere without Internet access. [ohwell]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted April 14, 2009 08:42      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two years ago this place was quite fun to get involved, with games, geeky and relationships talk and small flames, but it was fun. Until politics came. I tried to participate on those threads but I felt it became a battle between never-changing sides and it became a steering maneuvre for some forum members in order to take some people out of the forums. Please, can we get back to that I really liked form this community?

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 09:20      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And because of all the political bickering, Snaggy made a section called "Politics/Religion/Current Affairs". I was glad to see this area created to give people a place to argue over pointless topics that have been beaten to death.

I generally avoid this area as it pointless to waste my time & energy on such topics.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 09:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ TheMoMan Here __ Please do not hold me up as a hero, The things I witnessed and the MOS I took only for the better pay.

Become flight status $110/month. Independant duty $55/M Hazard (JUMP) pay $110/M Then if these were done in an area of conflict there were no taxes on any of that years earnings.

So at the start I did these things only for the extra money to spend at the bar and drown my dreams, then there were the promotions, and each of those bumped up. So better to call me a mercenary than a hero. Yes I have been shot at, almost all Vets have, Yes I have been at deaths door as others have passed through. Yes I saved lives, it was my job.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 16:10      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan your modesty does you great credit.

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 02:07      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem isn't posting political threads. Geeks being geeks are into, and passionate, about pretty much anything - politics included. So political discussions are appropriate to be included on the forum, and can be very interesting.

However, name calling and playground style bullying is not appropriate. We're all apparently intelligent people on here, so lets all grow up. And if in doubt, don't feed the troll

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 06:37      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
I wouldn't stop posting those geeky ideas. I read tehm. I just usually don't have anything intelligent to add. Because politics is so dumb, most people can add something.

I think that is the most sensible comment in this entire thread. Stibbons is a close second.

(I don't actually want to waste my time trying to follow more internet drama. I just wanted to commend them both for being eminently reasonable.)

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 09:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
... I just wanted to commend them both for being eminently reasonable...

Hey, lady -- if I wanted reason, I'd go read frikkin' Kierkegaard. I came here for an argument!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 16, 2009 10:13      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I came here for an argument!

Did I just hear my name? [evil]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 10:40      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth Spungo:

quote:
I came here for an argument!
No you didn't...
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2009 11:26      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, this is abuse...
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture