homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Comparing Apples to Lemons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comparing Apples to Lemons
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2009 00:50      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to get it out of my system.

It's worse than comparing Apples to Oranges.

It's how the recent M$ ads strike me.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 10, 2009 01:38      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd prefer to say comparing Apples too Grapefruit. Fuck Grapefruit. Anyway, I must praise how they're able to show the lowest denominator of the tech ignorant ones, yay for Microsoft :/

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2009 02:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ I love the line "I'm not cool enough for a Mac"

To me its like gasoline and diesel cars. They will both get you to a destination but how much does it cost to get there?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2009 10:54      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! Working that analogy a bit farther, the Diesel car may be cheaper to run, but it's a bit noisier and stinkier than a gasoline powered car. And Hybrids are even quieter, but more expensive up front. It's all about the user experience again.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2009 16:05      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You wouldn't ever catch me using Windows voluntarily, but I think these two ads are the most effective Microsoft anti Apple campaign so far, and they are effective because at their centre is an undeniable nugget of truth. Over the last 18 months or so, PC hardware has dropped in price considerably, and Apple's prices have not. Indeed in some cases they have increased their prices, so there is now a significant price differential for similar spec hardware, which was not the case 18 months ago. While this will not discourage existing users, it may well dissuade some switchers, particularly after this campaign. The disaster that was Vista has given Apple a terrific opportunity, but with Windows 7 on the horizon, that may not last very much longer, and my feeling is that this is a bit of a fumble on Apple's part.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2009 19:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
these two ads are the most effective Microsoft anti Apple campaign so far, and they are effective because at their centre is an undeniable nugget of truth...
...there is now a significant price differential for similar spec hardware

Sometimes I think Mac users are their own worst enemies.

I was in a computer shop last week, looking at 1 TB external drives. They had Western Digital drives, the 'Essential Edition' in a green box, and the 'Mac Edition' in an orange box. The hardware is identical (USB2 only, no Firewire) but the 'essential' comes formatted in FAT32, while the Mac Edition is formatted for HFS+.

The Mac version cost 25% more.

Why do suppliers charge 25% more for putting the word 'Mac' on the packaging?

Because they can.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2009 18:54      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Druied,

That happens, and it is sad.

There are some things that don't work on a Mac. Then that drive will work with re-formatting.

I'm sure there are some non-technical oriented people who don't know which products are safe to buy.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 12, 2009 19:20      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I think these two ads are the most effective Microsoft anti Apple campaign so far, and they are effective because at their centre is an undeniable nugget of truth. Over the last 18 months or so, PC hardware has dropped in price considerably, and Apple's prices have not.

I disagree. A market share leader should be wary of attacking #2, particularly when #2 is a premium niche product. Inevitably it hurts number one more.

First. It's free advertising for the competition.

Second, it's also price advertising. Price is not a brand enhancer. What a brand does in this situation is advertise that you are worth less. That is a big plus for a premium niche brand.

Even little kids know this. If the child wants a Tickle Me Elmo for Christmas, he's not settling for a Giggly Goofy because Mom and Dad say the other one is overpriced because it is the "cool" brand. Try it.

Another example. Purina would never compare their main store brand Dog Chow on a price basis against IAMS dog food. Purina costs $8 a bag, IAMS costs $32 a bag. You tell me the difference in specs. You spend $3840 over the life of a dog for IAMS, $960 for Purina.

When Coke created New Coke because they were losing the Pepsi challenge, that was a mistake.

You don't sell more Chevys because you announce it's cheaper than a BMW. People already know that.

Yes, M$ has cut it's prices, but that is because they don't have the premium brand equity to maintain their price. They also have a product problem with Vista.

What a premium product needs to do during recession is to communicate value. That's what Apple will do.

Strategically, the M$ ads are a sign of desperation. One thing I can say is they are probably getting lot of co-op dollars from their trade partners. That is a double-edged sword, too. It equates all the brands as the same.

That brings up another example. You don't see Apple advertising with Intel Inside on them do you? That would be accepting co-op dollars to extend their budget, but it would also dilute the brand, making Apple more generic.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 11:13      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks like there's a new, slightly more honest one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJSuduTrPs&feature=player_embedded

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 11:20      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
looks like there's a new, slightly more honest one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJSuduTrPs&feature=player_embedded

That is awesome!

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 06:42      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Apple bitch slaps Microsoft's "Laptop Hunter" ad campaign.

"A PC is no bargain when it doesn't do what you want. The one thing that both Apple and Microsoft can agree on is that everyone thinks the Mac is cool;" says an Apple spokesperson.

Ouch.

But seriously, what were the Microsoft marketing dweebs thinking with that whole "not cool enough" thing? No wonder Apple had to respond. The temptation there is just overwhelming.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture