homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » You can get anything you want........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You can get anything you want........
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 7 posted April 03, 2009 14:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...at Alice's Restaurant!!!!!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 03, 2009 16:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like some herb-roasted passenger pigeon, please.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2009 16:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
♫...Excepting Alice...♪

Steen: just find one of those places that offers "Breakfast anytime", and ask for herb-roasted passenger pigeon in the 18th Century.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2009 19:23      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Applause] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Applause]

Groovy!

Thank you Grummash.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 03, 2009 22:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember listening to this song 20 years ago.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2009 05:38      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Grum,

That brought back a pleasant memory of watching Arlo and Pete Seeger singing on the lakefront at Milwaukee's Summerfest in the summer of 1983. It was July 4th, and the two fellows wrapped up the concert singing Woody's Classic, "This Land is My Land" as fireworks exploded behind them over a moonlit Lake Michigan.

It remains one of my finer memories.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2009 06:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________ Colonel Panic __ Not trying to thread jack but I remember watching fire works down town Flint about that same time frame. Now I was facing the launch site, when in my right ear came a KA-Thump, about like a 90mm tube that sucker was well aimed it went up over the viewing area and lit up the whole sky. Burned for about a minute, and held up the city display. Many in the crowd were saying I never saw a fire work like that. You could tell the vets because they were all going turtle.

Now back to the regular thread.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2009 14:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP - that sounds like a party I would have enjoyed. If you had to design a "classic" music moment it would probably look a lot like the gig you were at.

1983, however, was just about when I first heard "Alice's Restaurant" - on a crappy tape-cassette deck, sharing an eighth of good hash with a few good friends. Oh! to be 19 again. [crazy]

TheMoMan - I've seen a similar effect from big fireworks. Many moons ago I worked in a biker's pub, and one day a box of full-size display fireworks were "obtained" for little party in the back yard of the pub. We had a couple of mortars, the ones where you bury the tube in the ground and then drop the charge (about the size of a large orange) straight down and light the fuse. They made everybody go quiet, as you can imagine. But when someone lit a 3-foot coil of Chinese firecrackers, the "Rat-Tat-Tat" sent the guy who had seen too much in the Lebanon with the Red Cross diving under the kitchen table.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2009 16:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ Grummash __ What I was describing was really a (Battle Field Illumination Flare) read as Magnesium under parachute. Fired from about three blocks away from the viewing area. Over there was a huge parking area, that I think was used for the impromptu single shot. That thing lit up the city like daylight.

Most of the Vets knew what it was. Most of the rest did not.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture