homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Twitterific? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Twitterific?
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2009 07:41      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found a long, interesting (if somewhat ranty) article on the subject of Twitter today. For those who can't be bothered to read, the article basically decries Twitter as the demon bastard child of Web 2.0, destined to turn us all into narcissistic prats who can't have a coherent thought longer than 140 characters.

It seems to me that Twitter is a pretty divisive platform. You either love it or you hate it. As a relatively new convert, I find it very useful for quickly sharing links, pictures and random ideas... but I also roll my eyes at my own self-indulgence when I see yet another tweet in my history about how much I hate my job or what I'm having for dinner.

As someone who works (though thankfully not for much longer) in the PR/Communications industry, it's pretty scary to see how much PR and Marketing people are jumping all over Twitter as the new revolution in personalised, real-time product pushing. From what I've seen, it's unlikely to go away any time soon.

If you use Twitter, what do you like about it? Do you see any cause for concern? Do you think it's likely to become as ubiquitous as, say, Facebook? Post below or send me an @reply if rushed [Wink]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2009 08:07      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The coolest use I've seen of Twitter thus far is real-time translation of the Pirate Bay trial happening right now. Twitter users (@sofia and some others) are listening to the Swedish audio stream via sr.se or SVT and tweeting it in English. Obviously not every word, but enough to get the gist of what's happening.

I'm not sure what cause there would be for concern. I don't see how it could be particularly successful as a platform for unwelcome advertisements. Just block those users. (But I do always get a kick out of "ZOMG the end of English as we know it!" and "Please, will someone think of the attention spans!" hyperbole.)

My favorite part of the article had to be: "Ed. Note -- Twitterers invited to respond to this article in the comments or on AlterNet's Twitter feed."

Also... my kitchen smells like catfood.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2009 08:35      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
140 characters should be enough for anyone. [Razz]

Twitter is great for people like me who don't really have anything to say and would struggle not saying so in a space larger than 140 characters. Even I can say nothing within that space, and don't have to worry and fret over filling up a larger space with my nothing. Nothing is not a gas -- it does not fill all available space. Nothing has limits. My nothing doesn't get lonely within 140 characters. It's not like it's a big room of words and my words are standing in the corner, feeling left-out and trying to summon-up the courage to chat to those cute-looking words over there by the dance floor. Maybe after another beer they'll be less embarrassed...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 23, 2009 09:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Twitter is awesome, and most people, after initially thinking "what's the point in this?", will see how useful it is. It is an awesome source of breaking news if you follow the trends. The Hudson plane crash was the latest demonstration of that.

Of course it is super evil too, and a huge time waster, but a kinder gentler evil when compared to Facebook. [Razz]

I use an iPhone app called Summizer to keep track of what people are talking about, who posts links to our comics, and replies to me. I also like to follow the trends while watching a TV show like Heroes or BattleStar, or any event... some of the comments are hilarious. There is a free trial version of Summizer now, get it.

Pogue did a great story and video on Twitter, check it out here...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/technology/personaltech/12pogue.html

@Snaggy

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2009 14:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me is one of the grumbling people who doesn't get the buzz...

I just read Pogue's piece, and as interesting as it may be, I just CBA to create *yet another* account, and I tend to loathe social networking sites.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2009 23:48            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I tweet. I follow about 180 people, and have about that many followers. I tend to say whatever's on my mind, and I think it's caused a few people to unfollow me (like liberals who can't stand to hear a little conservative talk), but I'm not too worried about that. I'm not out to be Wil freakin' Wheaton, just share info with people in easy-to-digest 140-byte chunks. [Smile]

The people I follow fall into several categories: Second Life people, EVE Online people, conservatives (including a number of people in Top Conservatives on Twitter, #tcot), and "everything else." My own tweets vary accordingly.

IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 02:01      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I don't see how it could be particularly successful as a platform for unwelcome advertisements. Just block those users.

I think what creeps me out is not so much obvious spam/advertising, but the insidious way in which huge corporations are setting up their own Twitter accounts in order to try and make you feel as if they are on your level, communicating to you directly, and inviting you to enter some awesome new design a t-shirt competition to win one of their latest gizmo or Vitamin E infused energy drink. Or something [Razz] ... And by following them and allowing them to follow you, you're giving them this whole stockpile of personal info, likes and dislikes, as easy as you please, almost without realising that you're doing it.

I know this sort of thing is not new, so I'm not even sure why I'm ranting, really. I guess if you want the ability to share information with anyone in the world, there are certain inevitable consequences [ohwell]

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 06:10      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fs:
[qb]And by following them and allowing them to follow you, you're giving them this whole stockpile of personal info, likes and dislikes, as easy as you please, almost without realising that you're doing it.

Finally a valid justification for using multiple twitter accounts and randomly tweeting disinformation.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 06:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I don't see how it could be particularly successful as a platform for unwelcome advertisements. Just block those users.

I think what creeps me out is not so much obvious spam/advertising, but the insidious way in which huge corporations are setting up their own Twitter accounts in order to try and make you feel as if they are on your level, communicating to you directly, and inviting you to enter some awesome new design a t-shirt competition to win one of their latest gizmo or Vitamin E infused energy drink. Or something [Razz] ... And by following them and allowing them to follow you, you're giving them this whole stockpile of personal info, likes and dislikes, as easy as you please, almost without realising that you're doing it.

I know this sort of thing is not new, so I'm not even sure why I'm ranting, really. I guess if you want the ability to share information with anyone in the world, there are certain inevitable consequences [ohwell]

Oooh, hey - thanks for that! I was really beginning to wonder what the angle was for big companies setting up Twitter...that makes plenty of sense, in a thoroughly creepy manner.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 07:27      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I such disconnected to prefer getting things done rather than talk about it, and to just keep mum about the time I waste? ("I've started working on my victorian-era underwears! Gotta go back to sewing." Might as well just work on it and show off the finished garments.) I don't twit. (Aside, I don't know if it is taken/modified from English, but in Quebec French, a "twit" is a whacko: "C't'une gang de twit" = "They're just a bunch of nutjobs." "C'est ben twit!" = "That's really dumb!")

The only one I "follow" (that is, I go on the page; no rss, and no feeling bad if I don't go for a few days in a row) is Othar's, because it's related to one of the webcomic I follow. Now this one is a creative use of a twitter account: first person storytelling, in short chunks of thoughts or action reports, as if it was really happening. Except that it happens in a steampunk world with no Internet... Well, suspension of disbelief is part of storytelling, isn't it?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 08:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo: Consider instead the word 'twitter' - which bears a largely different meaning from 'twit.' Perhaps you've heard the phrase "She's all a twitter..." or summat like that?

--------------------

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 09:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda knew "twitter" meant some sort of mindless chatter (well, now I know for sure as I've checked), still this doesn't exist in French, leaving only the word (and meaning) coming first in my mind. But that's just mindless prejudice, of course. I'm not judging those who do use Twitter. (I try, anyway.)

Yet, even though I can see the point where it helps people keep in touch, I can't help but find it narcissistic for this "need" to let the whole world know about you. What happened about sending private emails or joining an email list so that you retain some control about who knows what about you.

I guess I am becoming an crazy-old-(but no cat) lady... [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 10:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago I created a Twitter account for the sole purpose of preventing anyone else from making one in my name. It has (and will only ever have) one post which I think says something about my opinion of Twitter...

http://twitter.com/GrumpySteen

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 24, 2009 10:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Following! [Razz]

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 10:39      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't say that twitter does anything for me, but GrumpySteen's post did lead to me to open an account just to ensure there are no other grummashs tweeting.

Stereo - in English, a 'twit' is a particular type of ineffectual fool, but not necessarily a full-on 'whacko'. I would assume that the relevant reference is 'twittering' which is what little birds do in the hedgerows, and therefore the smallest unit of 'twittering' is the 'tweet'.

You may, or may not, have heard of this song
which was recorded by The Ink Spots:

When My Sugar Walks Down the Street
Writers: Irving Mills, Jimmy McHugh, and Gene Austin

When my sugar walks down the street
The little birdies go `Tweet, tweet, tweet`
And in the evenin` when the sun go down
It`s never dark when she`s around

She`s so affectionate I`ll say this
And when she kisses me I`ll stay kissed
When my sugar walks down the street
The little birdies go `Tweet, tweet, tweet`

And when my sugar walks down the street
All the birdies go `Tweet, tweet, tweet`
And in the evenin` when the sun go down
It`s never dark when she`s around

She`s so affectionate and I`ll say this
And when she kisses me I`ll stay kissed
And when my sugar walks down the street
The little birdies go `Tweet, tweet, tweet

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2009 10:55      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Because the world needs to know about my every bowel movement

A motto I live by day in, day out... [Wink]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2009 00:53      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Following! [Razz]

Same.

--------------------

skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2009 02:03      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Following! [Razz]

Slight tangent, but... Snaggy, I used to follow you, but then one day your updates stopped appearing in my feed and your name disappeared from my 'Following' list. Went back to your profile and tried to hit 'Follow' again... but when I press the button nothing happens! [Confused] [Confused] ... anyone know a solution?

@greenfelttip

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2009 02:17      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another Twitter/Facebook/tell-the-entire-world-what-you're-doing-service concern.

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2009 03:45      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Yeah, I tweet. I follow about 180 people, and have about that many followers. I tend to say whatever's on my mind, and I think it's caused a few people to unfollow me (like liberals who can't stand to hear a little conservative talk), but I'm not too worried about that. I'm not out to be Wil freakin' Wheaton, just share info with people in easy-to-digest 140-byte chunks. [Smile]

The people I follow fall into several categories: Second Life people, EVE Online people, conservatives (including a number of people in Top Conservatives on Twitter, #tcot), and "everything else." My own tweets vary accordingly.

I've unfollowed people for that reason. I have a limited amount of time and energy to put into things like Twitter, and I'm not going to squander it on things that don't add value, or come with too high an annoyance quotient. It's not like a forum where I have to coexist, to some extent, with people that I don't particularly like. Nobody is entitled to be in my twitterstream.

One thing about Twitter, unless you make your profile private, everyone can see who your "friends" are and where your interests lie. Even if it didn't annoy me, I wouldn't want to be associated with racism, bigotry, homophobia, religious extremism, etc. so I'm not going to follow it. You can tell a lot about a person by the kind of company they keep.

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2009 05:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ WHY? __ WHY? __ WHY?__WHY?__WHY?__

So I have givin you the 5 WHYs?__ so what is the real purpose?

Where I worked if something went wrong or someone got hurt there was the 5 WHYs?__ Just asking.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted February 25, 2009 08:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
skylar... weird.

I've requested a following from you, maybe that will fix it. If not, let Twitter know.

skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2009 09:08      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following request accepted [Smile] ... but I think it hasn't made a difference as to whether I can see your updates.

Twitter has been duly notified... what a great test case to see if their customer support will give me another reason to rant [Wink]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2009 12:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Present company excepted of course...
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2009 19:12      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I just CBA to create *yet another* account, and I tend to loathe social networking sites.

I don't use Twitter myself, but I have friends that do. These people aren't the ones tweeting about the quotidian, so I am interested in what they say. Fortunately, it's something I can subscribe to with an RSS reader, and I can personally avoid Twitter itself. [Smile]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture