homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » You know you're getting old when...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You know you're getting old when...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 10:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Doctors start looking younger and younger

quote:
From TFA:
New Doctor actor is youngest ever

Matt Smith has been named as the actor who will take over from David Tennant in Doctor Who - making him the youngest actor to take on the role.

At 26, Smith is three years younger than Peter Davison when he signed up to play the fifth Doctor in 1981.

Smith will first appear on TV screens as the 11th Doctor in 2010.

I haven't seen any of his work, anyone have any opinions on whether he'll make a good Doctor?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 13:02      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I hate the idea of him as Eleven, but then I hated David Tennant as Ten when he first started because I loved Christopher Eccleston so much as Nine. It will probably be the same thing for me this time. Personally I will be much more disappointed if the next companion is another 20-something girl from early 21st century Earth who falls in love with the Doctor.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 13:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ No, No, No, No, You're getting old when all of these names do not ring a bell and you remember Tom Baker, & LLala Ward.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 14:21      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm open minded about the new guy. The main thing for me was that none of the heavily-rumoured candidates got the job. I really didn't see Doc 11 amongst that crowd.

I must admit that I haven't seen the new fella in anything so far, so I have no opinion on his acting. I did watch Dr Who Confidential to hear the announcement and my first thoughts were less than charitable - " What a funny-looking bugger he is!" Still, being a funny-looking bugger has never hindered any of the previous Doctors! [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 14:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ I had so much fun posting the first I did it again.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 15:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I will be much more disappointed if the next companion is another 20-something girl from early 21st century Earth who falls in love with the Doctor.

Me too.
I'm hoping for another warrior-woman in a skimpy animal skin outfit.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 15:56      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I unno he kinda looks like edward scisorhands....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 18:56      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So far I hate the idea of him as Eleven, but then I hated David Tennant as Ten when he first started because I loved Christopher Eccleston so much as Nine. It will probably be the same thing for me this time. Personally I will be much more disappointed if the next companion is another 20-something girl from early 21st century Earth who falls in love with the Doctor.

I'm with PB 100% on this. Loved Eccleston and thought they casted Tennant to give teen girls (and boys) something to swoon over. Now, it's not that I hate to see Tennant go, but that I've just gotten used to him. I've seen Smith in Ruby in the Smoke and the sequel and he looks very different in costume, without the puffy hair. Once he's in the Doctor regalia, whatever he chooses, I think I'll get used to him, too, but the initial look at him in the Confidential made me do the classic Doctor "What...what?!"

I've just dug out my old DVDs and am watching Parting of the Ways with the 9th Doctor, Captain Jack and Rose...sniff, I still miss Eccleston.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 20:02      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we still have a year to go, and then it will be an all new me. [Big Grin] I will miss Tennant but I suppose all things end. Unfortunately, not much will be happening in the Whoniverse this coming year except the specials. I just hope they are extra special all things considered.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2009 23:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, one click begat another and I inadvertently learned that the Beeb has a YouTube channel, and guess what's headlining it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zog-6SrGxE0&fmt=18

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
robohackmaster
Geek Larva
Member # 20970

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 11:49      Profile for robohackmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading threads like this... i REALLY need to get into this show...!
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 16:54      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Peebs and sosumi, in that Christopher Eccleston was my favourite Doctor by a long margin. I am rather surprised that his career since then seems to have stalled, as he has both the screen charisma and acting chops for a top flight career. My first impression is that the new Doctor seems to be in the usual mould, a cerebral character with more than a dash of English eccentricity. This is a sound (if rather safe) base on which to build the character, the rest is up to his talent. I don't know his work, but Matt Smith comes across in the interview as an intelligent and grounded person, so he looks promising. It will be interesting having a younger actor, as this will make the character more vulnerable, and make the relationship with his assistant more equal, and that relationship will probably be the key to any success he might have. David Tennant was, for me, at his best when he had Catherine Tate to spar with, and Eccleston would have been much less interesting without the wonderful Billie Piper. The assistant is the everyman figure that the audience identifies with, and is, if truth be told, the most important role in the show. If she works, he will shine, but if she is dull, we cannot care about him.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2009 22:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To Peebs quips about young assistants: It's probably way too soon for Prof. River Song to enter the picture, but that's a story I certainly want to see, and she's past her twenties. [Smile] [Razz] I rewatched the 2nd half of the Library series last night...great episode!
(Why do people have to remind me of previous Doctor Who episodes - it leads me to kill large bits of time! [Wink] [albeit quite well enjoyed])

Unfortunately, I don't have the first series at hand - I caught it via Netflix; I shain't likely acquire it until it's on some kind of discount. As such, quips like these "I've just dug out my old DVDs and am watching Parting of the Ways with the 9th Doctor, Captain Jack and Rose...sniff, I still miss Eccleston." bring back fine memories, but I'll probably need to re-add that to my queue, as it's been a goodly while since I've seen that -- that was a fantastic arc, as I recall.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 14:46      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
...It's probably way too soon for Prof. River Song to enter the picture...

I reckon we'll be seeing her in at least one of the final Tennant episodes...there's just far too much implied history/intimacy between them to just let that story line drop.
quote:
(Why do people have to remind me of previous Doctor Who episodes - it leads me to kill large bits of time! [Wink] [albeit quite well enjoyed])
You're a fine one to talk! [Razz] Not having cable, I was unaware of the new Who series; hadn't seen any since the Tom Baker and Peter Davison episodes were aired on PBS oh so long ago. Then you (it was you, wasn't it?) mentioned Torchwood, which led me to seek those out, then it's mention of the Canary Wharf War led me to find the related Who episodes on the now defunct Stage6 (and at the Boston Public library with their ginormous DVD collection and the old fallback...Amazon), which of course led to having to see what led to that, and so on...but yes, a quite well enjoyed way to kill quite a lot of time (for which I am grateful). [Big Grin]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 15:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah yeah...pot kettle wibbly wobbly. [Wink] [Smile]

Regardless of who informed whom (and you did get the story right), I still owe you a pint or three. [Razz]

--------------------

stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2009 20:24      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/popculture/988c/?cpg=ab

I think he seems like he'd be a good Doctor.

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 17:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon, but I'm failing to grok the link relevance. Care to enlighten me?

--------------------

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 21:29      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Pardon, but I'm failing to grok the link relevance. Care to enlighten me?

-
I see relevance; however, it should say "You never forget your favorite Doctor" given the tone of some posts. [Wink]

And the copywriter for that item...well...just should not be working for ThinkGeek if they don't know what that t-shirt refers to!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2009 22:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, it's clear now - thanks for smacking my forehead against the table/website. [Smile]

I was trying to play a game of 'connect the dots' to either The New Guy, DT, or CE. Whilst doing that, the /idea/ of the t-shirt went /way/ over my head. [Razz]

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2009 17:49      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that same shirt though it had an image of an endoscope instead of a TARDIS.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 16, 2009 11:22      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! [Eek!]
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2009 16:26      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter Davison will always be the screw-up brother, Tristan Farnon from "All Creatures Great and Small". Following Tom Baker made it worse.

Tom Baker was my first and only Dr.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture