homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » In this economy... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: In this economy...
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 09:35      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...I am a blessed man, indeed. But, alas, it seems that I am the kind of person that would complain even if he were hung with a new rope. I have this knack of taking a blessing and turning it into a problem... Meh. :-/

I have a fairly steady job, though I don't like it as I am underpaid and unappreciated. It's not the money so much as it's the constant feeling of having no value. I continually get the message from my employer that I am worthless and little more than a tool, resource and/or an asset to them. And they remind me rather frequently that I'm a rather expendable asset. Not a happy place to work... though my parents and most "reasonable" people are quick to remind me that "I'm lucky to have a job with the way things are.. blah blah blah." Honestly, though, I just am sick and tired of being mistreated and emotionally beaten down! If my feelings of being used and taken advantage of aren't sufficient, certainly the dream I had recently where I killed my boss and then stood over his dying body and screamed at him "YOU ARE HEARTLESS, YOU ARE SOULLESS, AND PEOPLE DON'T DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE THIS, YOU FUCKING BASTARD!" is a sign that I am under significant distress and need to find other employment.

I have been working, as a contractor through my current employer, at Northwest Community Schools in Jackson, MI, for the last two months, 3 days a week. They really like me out there, and they are fun people to work with. They appreciate me. I get many "thank yous" from the staff, both verbally and through small tokens of appreciation, often in baked form. They passed a bond issue during the last election and so they now have $5.5 million to spend for technology purposes. Much of that is going into badly-needed electrical upgrades, but the majority of it is going into new technology; the first goal of which is to finally become free of Windows98 boxes. They will have a lot more equipment to support, so they will need more staff and want to hire someone full time, namely: me. The tech director has said to me "my goal is to make you a full-time employee." One issue with this is the time line for doing that is still quite fuzzy. There's a lot of stuff to do with the bond issue and dates and numbers yet to crunch and sort out, but I am assured of a position there once the dust settles.

This is a really sweet gig, if you just go by the numbers alone: about $35k/yr salary (the final number is still subject to negotiation), plus $20k/yr benefits package, 2 wks. paid vacation, medical, dental, optical, sick leave, and a pension that will transfer with me to any school in the state. I'd be in line to buy real estate in Jackson, property values are very depressed there: I found a 928 sq. ft. house with a full (unfinished) basement on 1.38 acres out in the country for $19,900. It needs new siding, maybe a new roof, but is structurally sound. I'd estimate no more than $10K in home improvement costs. I could have the house paid off in 5 years, easily.

The other major issue I have with this choice is my education. I still don't have a fscking Bachelor's degree, and though I've made significant progress towards getting mine in the last 3.5 years, I'm still at least a couple years away (that's a couple years as a full-time student). If I took this job in Jackson, it would *severely* slow down my educational goals. I'm looking at 8 more years of school, best-case scenario, though it's more likely 10 years; that is if I've not gotten frustrated with the whole thing and just quit by then. This leaves me in the world of I.T. for at least 8 more years, and possibly cements me there for life. I've already been in I.T. on a more-or-less professional level for 8 years, and I am already finding it hard to break away and attempt to start a new career; 8 more years just glues me in even more.

Now for option #2. Since the beginning of October, I have also been taking on the duties of Music Director at my church. The previous music director left because he found a job at another church with better pay and benefits. My church has been struggling financially, so they decided to try and float along with volunteers until January when the new fiscal year starts for them. They asked if I would be willing to take on the music scheduling and make sure that there is a music group at every weekend and Holy Day mass. I don't believe that they realized the complexity of this task. I have had all of 3 weekends off since the beginning of October, the rest of the time I've been playing at one or more masses per week. All volunteer, all unpaid.

During this time I've also organized the Christmas Choir; made copies of music, organized practices, taught parts, made a practice CD for the choir members, and ran rehearsals every Wednesday since October 22nd. I've led the Community Choir (which plays at 8:30AM.. ugh), and done my best to help with the organization of the College Choir. On top of that, I've been putting together weekly "Mass Music Menus" to help our music ministers select liturgically-appropriate music. I've recruited new musicians and singers and helped the music ministry grow. All in my spare time, all volunteer, all unpaid.

My work at the church has certainly *not* gone unnoticed. Fr. Phil has told me "I'm amazed, you're here more than the last two music directors I've hired put together." The congregation is singing again (our last music director had almost completely squelched them.. long story), random people I don't even know are thanking me for bringing "good music" back to the Mass. A previously-dying music program is being resurrected by *my* hands! I admit, humbly, that I could do nothing without our ample supply of talented volunteer musicians and singers, but my organization and leadership are shining through and finally mending the wounds left by the last two (fairly useless) music directors.

With January approaching quickly, the church is starting to put together a list of potential hires to fill the music director position. I am at the very top of that list. They want me, and the part that is hard for me to swallow is that I know they *need* me. The downside is that they can't pay me very well. $15/hr. for a max of 19hrs./wk. is not much at all. That comes out to $14,820/yr. and no benefits.

The plus side to this job is that it is part time, and the hours are VERY flexible. This would give me plenty of time for classes and the ability to take a full class load fairly easily. It's better than my current job in that the hours and pay are steady. I would keep my current apartment, and I could walk to both work and class. It is enough money for me to live on, though it would be a shoestring budget.

The key advantages to the church position are these: finish my degree in 2 to 3 years instead of 8 to 10; it is directly related to my field of study (music education); *very* low-stress position which could alleviate my Type A personality tendencies; it is something I love to do; and I would be officially in charge of something rather than just a drone.

So I am very torn. On one hand there's money, a house, the possibility to retire as early as age 57 with a full pension, but the stark reality of never having a degree and being stuck in the high-stress world of I.T. my entire life. On the other hand there's the continuation of poverty, but with it a true sense of service, the ability to get my degree quickly, and work in a very low-stress field.

The real question is: which choice will I regret less; not taking the money and starting my life or not sticking with my goals and toughing it out?

edit 2 add: left out an expletive in my dream

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 09:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No clue. MMKK, you know yourself better than any of us. Maybe there are a couple of posters here that may be able to gauge how you are gonna feel about these decisions.

But here is my $0.02. I don't care where you work, you will get pulled under. Be it in the name of God, or the almighty buck. Work can suck no matter where you are.

But let me put it to you this way. In 40 years, what do you want? Which path will get you there the best?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 10:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd be a dumbass not to take the good [paying IT] job. [Smile]

And that's incredibly cheap for a house - get it!

HAND [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 10:36      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warning: I may be saying something very stupid, it's an outsider point of view, and you may not want to trust my advice on that subject.

Why not have both?

Take up the musical director job. That's what you really want to do, and you know you're going to regret it if you don't.

Then, you say you are currently working 3 days a week at the school. Keep it so, or even lighter. If you do your work well (read: plan and streamline), they could have a IT student do the grunt work, and you do the planification and decisions. Or do take the decision with the student, and call it training. If it goes anywhere close to what I know, the school could get subsidized for the student's pay, the student gets a valuable, hands-on, real-life internship, you get more experience, and the school still gets the tech support with someone they trust - you.

You probably won't get all the benefits, but you may still get some. Talk with them; they probably already have the structure to manage part-time employees.

There may be another option, though. How is the school's musical training? Do they have any? Would they be interested in hiring you at such position, since it is your field of study? All the while, you could still be there to give a hand on the tech support. This could be enough to fill in the money gap. Or do musical tutorship. Or plan a musical band in collaboration with the school, and get a little more money there.

If they like you they way you say, they will be more than happy to help you achieve your dreams. Talk to them, see what you can work out - and keep your sanity!

Good luck!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 12:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ MacManKrisK ___ Why are you so focused on a degree, what doors will it open, you still have to push or pull to get in. That said I like Stereos view, do both, one to pay the bills one for the joy. I had a very good friend with a Doctorate in Law tell his wife that my Journeymans Card was more valuable than his degrees. Because, I was not an objectionable alien to any developing country. Just my half Nickel.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5422 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 13:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the degree going to be in? What do you want it for? Are you in because you're trying to learn something you love or so you can get a nice job ala what you've just been offered [Wink] ?

You're looking at a pretty sweet situation without the degree. Seriously. You have a third choice. Drop the degree and take both the Music Director job and the IT job and have the best of both worlds. Clearly, there are people who value what you do without the degree. And you never know, you may be able to work out finishing, somehow, someway. It doesn't have to be the straight, hard march I've taken. Not all who wander are lost.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 13:38      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacMan,
Get a big piece of paper, write down all your pro's and con's so you can see them in plain sight. Take a step back and look at it. Then crumble it all up and go with your heart! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 14:00      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth CommanderShroom: But let me put it to you this way. In 40 years, what do you want? Which path will get you there the best?

Whoooo..... that's a good question. In 40 years I'd like to be able to say I've touched lives and actually made a difference in this fucked up world of ours. That's why I'm getting a degree in music education in the first place.

Dragonman97 said: You'd be a dumbass not to take the good [paying IT] job.

That's precisely what my parents, and any sort of rational thought says. There is, however, more to life than money.

Uttered Stereo: Why not have both?

The school district job is in Jackson, the church job is in Ypsilanti. Those are 50 miles apart. Plus, having both jobs would completely prevent me from having the time necessary to complete my degree. The school wants a full-time employee, and they've been burned in the past by student tech assistants. The school is legally unable to hire me as a teacher if I don't have a degree.

TheMoMan chimed in: Why are you so focused on a degree, what doors will it open, you still have to push or pull to get in.

The I.T. field, though sometimes thrilling, leaves me ultimately feeling unfulfilled. There is always something to be fixed and no real headway is ever made. The longer I spend in the field, the more I see technology as a major hassle and complication, and the less I see it as a time-saver or a useful tool. True, it may take less time to perform a certain task, but that time is more than made up for in downtime when a repair is needed. Which brings me to...

Xanthine spake: What's the degree going to be in? What do you want it for? Are you in because you're trying to learn something you love or so you can get a nice job ala what you've just been offered?

I am majoring in music education. I was at one time majoring in elementary education until it became apparent that when I am in a room of 4th graders I become a 4th grader myself. Great fun, indeed, but hardly an atmosphere conducive to learning. I am, in all things musical, a music theorist. I love chords and intervals, rhythm and timing, keys and scales. For me, music, and especially "music theory" is the most perfect bridge between art and science. Music, to me, is Robert M. Pirsig's "quality." Sing me a tune and I can write it down, bring me a melody and I can write an accompaniment for it. Honestly, I am exceptionally skilled at writing accompaniment for a melody, as I generally suck at writing a melody and/or lyrics, it's great to be able to flesh out someone else's melody.

So then, why music education? Because I have a need to espouse knowledge upon people. I adore public speaking and sharing ideas with others. Ideas can only meet their full potential iff they are shared with others. My other subjects of impassioned geek-level interest: old VWs, green 7-finger-leafed plants, and the beauty of the open source model are all far too specialized to be of use to ordinary people. I have two subjects that I know well enough, and that are needed enough, to teach: music, and computer/network maintenance and repair.

There is art and creativity in music.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 14:23      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK,

It looks like you answered yourself. Success shouldn't be measured in dollars in the bank and stuff in the house. It should be measured with how you feel when you go to bed, and how you feel when you awake in the morning. Unhappy is unhappy, and doing what you love, and being able to eat at the same time,even if it is bologna and not steak, is worth a lot more than anything.

This is coming from a person that has lived on both steak, and Spam. And while I may on occasion I may miss the steak, I still wasn't worth what I had to pay for in self-worth to get it.

Follow your heart. And even if you decide down the road that it wasn't what you really wanted, don't regret it.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 14:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK, in that case be a mad man. Stay in school. Get the degree because you can't have the job you want without it and you need the training. Take the Music Directorship because you love it, you're blatantly good at it, and you need the training. Chase that dream until you catch it or fall down bleeding in the road. IIf this is what you feel you were meant to do, you do it. You'll may never be rich in money, but you'll roll in that other kind of currency no one seems to value: the true, soul-warming satisfaction that comes when you're following your path.

Don't listen to the sensible people. They get in your way. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 14:35      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to disagree with the "take the money" approach. If you can live on what the church is paying you, then take the opportunity to do what you love and achieve what you want from life. Once you get locked into commitments like house payments, it will be a lot harder to make big changes and take chances.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 14:55      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

But I'm feeling quite confused by the people who refuse to see
A simple way of life don't make you the loser

Posts: 6361 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 16:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ MacManKrisK Okay you convinced me go with what fuels your passion.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5422 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 17:00      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not get the best of both worlds - find a place that offers tuition reimbursement so you can work on your degree while making decent money? You might have to sell your soul to the corporate devil, but it's a small price to pay, IMHO.
Posts: 1092 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2008 18:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Why not get the best of both worlds - find a place that offers tuition reimbursement so you can work on your degree while making decent money? You might have to sell your soul to the corporate devil, but it's a small price to pay, IMHO.

What he said. [Smile]

But back to my original post: It may not be as lovely a thought, but realistically, it's a good paying job, and you're young enough to handle the work. You can always teach, but right now you have a great opportunity in front of you: A job with great benefits and what sounds like a great set of coworkers, and the possibility of getting a *house*! In /this/ economy, the odds of Social Security being around by the time you're old enough to collect is slim to none, and unless you want to work until you're [avg. life span -5-10 years], it would behoove you to take care of yourself /now/, while you're able to.

Those are my $0.02, which adjusted for deflation, may not be enough to throw in a wishing well.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2008 05:37      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still pending a decision, but you've all given me some good things to think about. The other problem with the "church job" is trying to figure out how to disappoint my parents... yet again.

When TheMoMan said: you still have to push or pull to get in.

He reminded me of The Song of the Chipping Sparrow (MP3 Link direct from Seth's Homepage (~2.7M)) by local artist (and Blissfest legend) Seth Bernard. Specifically the lyrics "nothing's certain except departure, arrival, push and pull, all at the same time 'till your dying day."

Seems to sum it all up, eh?

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2008 07:11      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
The other problem with the "church job" is trying to figure out how to disappoint my parents... yet again.

Disappoint them? You have to remember that this is your life. If the problem is that your parents are anywhere like my mother, that is, so preoccupied by their offspring's financial well-being that they forget to take happiness into consideration, then it's just a matter of how to say things. Explain them that your are making a carreer move, rather than a job one. Say that you do that in order to get a diploma, that this will open you new doors, that it is a small step backward to jump farther, and tell them about the teaching positions it will allow you to take. (Teachers should still be a respected position in our society; your parents could agree more easily to a lower pay if it means greater social respect.) Don't forget to push the respect you get from your church's community from this work, and how music can be an essential part to people's sanity in this hectic world. (Could musicotherapy be an option with your diploma? Even if you don't consider it, a possibility at working in the health sector could help them agree with you.)

And if they don't understand, then let them be disappointed. I'm sure you love them, so you don't want to hate them 20 years from now, because you'll blame them - and yourself too - for missing this opportunity.

I'll say it again: it's your life - not theirs. They had their chance, don't waste your own at trying to fulfill their dreams instead of yours. As time goes on, they'll find out your were right, and they'll be happy - and proud of you.

P.S.: As I got tired of hearing my mother's monetary concerns, I started hearing my father's voice supporting me.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2008 08:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom told me once that an important part of growing up is learning to not care what your parents think. Something to consider?

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2008 11:04      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK - you know what I think about the choice facing you, so I won't labour the point again - I will say that I wish you all the best with whatever you choose to do and I hope you make a decision that you can look back on without too much regret. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by MMKK:
The other problem with the "church job" is trying to figure out how to disappoint my parents... yet again.

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
My mom told me once that an important part of growing up is learning to not care what your parents think.

Picking up on these two points, I would add the following thoughts as my two penn'orth:

1) You are somebody's offspring, therefore it is your job to disappoint them several times. This is a way to measure how much you have differentiated from your parents as an individual personality.
2) Parents should not expect to feel proud all the time, as that is selfish. If they are proud all the time, they have raised a mini-me and, therefore, failed as parents.
3) It doesn't matter how many of the offspring's life choices are disappointing to the parents, the ideal situation is for them to be able to say that "yeah, on balance we've raised a good kid". Yours have. Don't sweat it. [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2008 12:49      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy. [shake head]

I tend to read my horoscope(s) every day, just out of habit, something to do, a way to waste time at work, etc. They very rarely relate at all to my day or mindset, and then there are those rare ones like today....

quote:
Aquarius:
If you want things to be different, then make them so! It's never too late to move down a different path in your life. You can't let your age, your income, or your current romantic status hold you back from doing something that you think will make you happy. Every day offers a new opportunity, a new set of choices to make -- and this day is no different. You are working awfully hard at coming up with excuses -- it's wasting time, and it's wasting your energy. You know you can do it, so do it!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2008 18:17      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really I work in HR now, I see people with just HS degrees making $90k today. Really, you just have to work at it. The only thing I wouldn't neglect in all of this is food, and overall health, but you can save in other places.

Good Luck, sometimes you don't need the education to do great.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 05:30      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it seems to me that you've made an uncomplicated decision quite complicated. Easy to do, considering it is one which may well define the rest of your life for better or worse.

But, consider what you yourself have said: The I.T. field, though sometimes thrilling, leaves me ultimately feeling unfulfilled.

Question answered, I think. How many times have we all heard, Money doesn't buy happiness. Go for what your dreams are... And, perhaps I should take my own advice as well. [ohwell]

I can see why you struggle with the decision. The prospect of a well paid job, owning a house.. Seems fantastic. Maybe even unreal. But, if you're miserable doing it, what good is it?

Then again, if you're willing to be miserable in that position for 8-10 years while finishing your degree, and find yourself owning a home by the time you move into the career you actually dream of, that would be the move to make. It just becomes more difficult though, since it will become all too easy to get stuck in that position.

Then you'd have to be like my old History teacher. He worked as an electrical engineer for 23 years, bought a house, raised a family, and put himself through school. He retired at the age of 51. And became a full time history teacher. The low teachers salary didn't matter, since he already owned his home, he had a very diversified investment portfolio which promised a comfortable life for him and his wife, as well as college for his two daughters whether he continued to teach or not, and supplemented his pension with his teaching salary which allowed him to afford just about anything he found himself wanting.

Seems like a good life to me... But, it would require the wherewithal to endure working that job you dislike, the stress that comes with it, for so long; and still put forth all the effort of furthering your education along to the goal you hope to achieve.

...hmm... I'm pretty sure I just made an argument for both side, didn't I?... In the end, I think you should go with your dream. If you aren't happy in your work, what's the point? Especially full time. Spend most of your week miserable. And the time off is just spent trying to destress from the week. Or, spend your time feeling fulfilled at your job, and happy in the knowledge your education is progressing quickly toward your ultimate goals. And, in that situation, your dream job may still allow the time to continue your service to your church as well.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 13:26      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I owe you guys another update. I'll work chronologically backwards... no... screw that, I'll just bounce around.... I'll mention up front that I've been asking God for signs to point me in the right direction... and I've been getting them.

Today I got Chinese food for lunch. Sesame Chicken, fried rice, egg roll. Lunch combo. Oh... and a fortune cookie. Interestingly, the place where I most frequently get my Chinese food changed fortune cookie manufacturers. It's a good thing, IMHO, because I was always disappointed with the "fortunes" that were really more like inspirational sayings than fortunes. Things like "a smile accessorizes any outfit;" hardly what I'd call a fortune. Then there was today's fortune: "Take that chance you've been considering." That's all I have to say about that...

About a week ago I'm pondering this decision. I say towards the aether, "just give me some sign!" Two minutes later I'm getting into my car (which is || parked out front) and the car in front of me has a bumper sticker that says "Live Simply." Hrm....

Last week, during one of my intense sessions of thought about the topic at hand, I came to the realization that the music director position might just well be a step toward becoming a member of the ordained clergy. I've always kind of had an inkling of becoming a priest, from the time I was 8 years old. I recall other people telling me that they thought I should think about the priesthood. And it seems that every few years this inkling comes back and I successfully beat it down for another year or so. Just more food for thought...

Thursday was Thanksgiving Day here in America. Pilgrims, Native Americans, Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole, and Football all rolled into one. Of course the subject came up about my jobs, and to be honest, Mom was far more supportive of my taking the church job than I'd ever anticipated.

Dad just retired this year, now that he has some free time, he's been volunteering at church a lot. One of the things he does is take his guitar and play music for the Friday masses at the nursing homes in the area. He asked me if I would like to come along the day after Thanksgiving and play the piano with him. It was a great chance to play music with Dad again and so I did it and received a very warm welcome. [Smile] A small, time-compressed mass with an attendance of 5 or 6 people is quite a different order from traditional Sunday mass, but I found the mass, and the devotion of the attendees quite moving. [Smile]

After mass was over, Fr. German Perez-Diaz (a Colombian native, btw), the priest at my parent's parish, turns to me, without any pretense or context and says, "Amigo, have you ever thought of becoming a priest?" I think that my response was a rather startled "Who told you?," though I'm not entirely sure because I was quite startled at the question. He then continued to tell me that he thought I would make a good candidate and that I should talk to my diocese's offices and get more information and see if I can discern a calling. *sigh* I need to stop asking for signs....

Sunday night I was driving home, through a snow storm. I wound up taking some back roads because the highway was so congested. The traffic scares me when the weather is bad because there's just more things to hit. I wound up turning down a road too early and wound up on a very nasty dirt (read: mud, slush, and nastiness) stretch of Ellsworth Rd. As I'm driving, the road conditions continue to worsen, and I'm only able to go about 20 MPH. I then thought to myself, "This road is treacherous, it's scary driving, but at least I know I'm going in the right direction." And then I realized that could be quite the metaphor for life.....

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 15:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2008 00:54      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't quote me if you listen and things go wrong.. But, I still think that's the right direction. You obviously are happy doing it, and that's what really matters.

As I said.. Money doesn't buy happiness.

Actually, it feels on topic to mention the classic "For what would it profit a man if he should gain the whole world, but lose his soul"... I know taking the tech job doesn't quite equate to losing your soul, but if it costs you feeling fulfilled.. And leaves you wondering what would have been different if you had explored this potential calling.

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.