homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » DST sucks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DST sucks
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted March 10, 2008 09:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else tired (literally) during this recent time change?

Leave Standard time alone! [Mad]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 09:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I get lagged every time.

But by this time of year, riding home after dark has shot my nerves to hell. Now that the sun is setting an hour later subjective, I've got some daylight on my side. This is comforting.

Assuming I don't get stuck late. Which also happens.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 10:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh look on the bright side... you're saving energy! That's the whole reason for the expansion of Daylight savings time, right?

Oh, wait... nevermind. You're probably using more energy because of DST.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 11:57      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agreed. Let's start a petition to abolish daylight saving time altogether.

(Xanthine: can't you get some light in the morning? It's better than nothing...)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2008 12:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course I can get light in the morning. But I can't put the sun back in the sky for my ride home in the evening. Now that DST has started the sun's going down at 7:30. I'm more likely to be on the road at 7:30 than at 6:30. It's nice that it won't be dark anymore. One less excuse for drivers to not see me (I have lights and light-colored jacket and helmet but it's far safer for me to just assume I'm invisible unless it's light out...and even then it's a crapshoot). It gets even better as the days get longer. In mid-summer I almost never come home after dark.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 01:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ I consider the DLS Time thing to be like jet lag. When traveling with the tents or the motorhome we don't wear our watches just let the sun rise sun angle rule the day.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 06:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My schedule is pretty messed up (I get up around 4AM, 8AM or 10 AM depending on the day... envy me yet?), so Daylight Savings Time has little to do with the sun being up or not when I get out of bed and the one hour change doesn't leave me feeling lagged at all.

Don't you all envy me now?
*smirk*

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 06:29      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a day or so. It's not really any different from, say, crossing a timezone.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 07:54      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It rocks living in Arizona because there is no DST.
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 07:57      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
My schedule is pretty messed up (I get up around 4AM, 8AM or 10 AM depending on the day... envy me yet?), so Daylight Savings Time has little to do with the sun being up or not when I get out of bed and the one hour change doesn't leave me feeling lagged at all.

Don't you all envy me now?
*smirk*

No, I don't envy you - I say that's how it should be. Ok, maybe not changing schedule every day or so, but being able to change one's schedule according to the needs. I mean rather than having standard opening hours be 9-5, would it really be that hard to change them 8-4? All year round if need be? For most white-collar and services jobs, the schedules can be adapted. Even more so in our modern world where both parents works, and more and more fathers share the task of handling children's need, there has been a push to allow for adapted working hours.

Even in academia, courses schedules are planned, and thus hours can change without much problem (beyond people's inertia). And labs are often open around the clock. So I believe it could be done.

That leaves factory shifts. But again, the hours could be changed 'round the year, and they'd avoid having disturbed productivity twice a year. Or just leave it at that, and people adapt a lot better to small, regular, natural changes (time the sun rises and sets) than artificial ones.

That's just my opinion, of course. But I think a little mind shift would be a lot more useful than clock manipulation.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2008 12:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A one hour time shift leaves you feeling lagged?

Really?

And I thought I was old and feeble.

What I want to know is, who's going to pay for my faded curtains? [crazy]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2008 04:17      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I twittered about this yesterday morning when I was feeling worn out and lagged: "Daylight savings time fucking sucks the big one".

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2008 07:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fscking hate DST. All the more so when considering computer implications...

...and yes, it hits my body hard - I'm not a morning person, and it sort of throws a monkey wrench into my routine. Maybe I should make a cup of coffee pretty soon, lest I collapse. [Razz] [I've already had a cup of tea, but I'm still feeling 'blah.']

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture