homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Ad Age Profiles Mac Users

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ad Age Profiles Mac Users
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 15:46      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting and informative read from the leading journal of people who make you buy things you don't want.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=123350

Honestly, I don't know a SINGLE Mac user like this!

[shake head] [shake head] [shake head] [shake head] [shake head] [shake head]

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 16:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:

Well, Casa del Druid got its first Mac at the command of my creative, stationwagon-driving, coffee shop frequenting, sneaker-wearing, organic-food-buying, perfectionist, liberal, greenie wife.
Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 17:16      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • Superior: Kinda, but I don't think anyone notices
  • Open: I guess. I do drink at Starbucks sometimes.
  • Perfectionist: Absolutely.
  • Music Maven: I do buy more music than my friends, but only because I don't like bittorrent.
  • Not Dogmatic: "...shy away from looking to religious or moral leaders for guidance and believe kids should be exposed to moral circumstances and encouraged to draw their own conclusions" - most definitely.
  • Not Modest: Probably true.
  • Eco-minded Greeny: Nope.
  • Satisfied with my purchase: Yes.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 17:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the article, Mac users download and pay for far more music than PC users. Half of them reported downloading music in the same time period that only sixteen percent of PC users did.

... but over 90% of computer users use something other than a Mac, so ... let's see... 90%*16%=14.4% of computer users used something other than a Mac to buy and download music. 10%*50%=5% of Mac users used their Macs to buy and download music.

5% is far more than 14.4% in Ad Age's universe, it seems. [crazy]
(and that's with me being very generous because Macs are around 6%-8% of computers according to the article, not the 10% I rounded up to)

Oh, wait, I forgot...these are marketing people doing this. Of -course- they lied!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 17:42      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see...
quote:
From the article:
Given that 95% or so of all computer users own a PC...

95%, plus the 20% or so who own Macs, plus the, umm, 5%? who run Linux or some other *NIX, adds up to... hmmm... an incipient migraine. Say it with me: "Market share is not the same as market penetration."

quote:
From the article:
...low creativity, that is. Mindset Media found [PC owners] tend to be realists who are emotionally steady...

So creative people are unrealistic and emotionally unsteady?

quote:
From the article:
Research found that 79% of people who had purchased an Apple computer in the last 90 days were "very satisfied." That compared with 59% and 58%, respectively, of those who bought PCs from competitors...

We're far more satisfied because we're self-righteous pricks. It has nothing to do with the product itself. [devil wand]

quote:
From the article:
... drive station wagons as their main cars...

Gag! Pickup truck. 4x4.

quote:
From the article:
Superior... Not Modest... Arrogant...

Maybe a little bit...

quote:
...the leading journal of people who make you buy things you don't want.

Maybe that's why I never buy anything... [crazy]

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 18:19      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Following max's format...
  • Superior: Oh yeah. Very.
  • Open: Yeah. If I think it, you hear it.
  • Perfectionist: Only when it comes to code and mathematics.
  • Music Maven: I refuse to use P2P services for acquiring my music. On the other hand, I will borrow a friend's CD and rip it into iTunes...
  • Not Dogmatic: Only in that I think careful observation and testing can yield the answer to any problem. This is usually called "science." I also believe that everybody has a right to "do their own thing", so long as it doesn't impact involuntary participants. I guess that makes me a libertarian.
  • Not Modest: I'm probably the most modest person you'll ever meet.
  • Eco-minded Greeny: Not really. Only an environmentalist insofar as I think certain things need to stay the way they are/were for humans to maintain the highest possible standard of living.
  • Satisfied with my purchase: Sure. But this old G5 iMac is starting to show its age...

Am I the only person who ever gets tired of the "macs are for artists" stereotype? I go to a primarily engineering/science university and at least half the laptops here are macs. I'm certainly no artist, but I love apple computers. You simply can't beat the hardware/software integration, and the UI is, for lack of a better term, "purdy".

I like apple machines because they're also unix machines. I can write some code on my linux machine, and migrate it over to my Mac without changing anything, even if it's written in C. I can do clever things on the commandline that you simply can't do in a windows environment, but at the same time I still have those nice graphical tools for when I need them.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 18:49      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh,

Is it my imagination, or does this article smell like a JOT comic is cooking around the corner?

[Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2008 19:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
According to the article...

Steen, I believe the explanation for this anomaly can be found here [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 03:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
According to the article...

Steen, I believe the explanation for this anomaly can be found here [Wink]
Not really. When one or more of the major points is a complete fabrication, it can't be said to be a minor detail. Thanks for trying, though [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 04:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
]Not really. When one or more of the major points is a complete fabrication, it can't be said to be a minor detail. Thanks for trying, though [Razz]

When less than 10% of the population account for around 1/4 of the downloads, I think it's fair to say that they download more (per person) than the others.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 04:59      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Very interesting and informative read from the leading journal of people who make you buy things you don't want.

http://adage.com/article?article_id=123350

Colonel Panic

You are not the only one.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 05:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ I'm trying to figure where I fit. Lets see four Macs, one with Ubuntu on it. Two Pc's one never goes on line, it is used for the GPS in the motorhome. and Ham radio software. One old Gateway with Suse and Ubuntu on it, also ham software.

I have never downloaded music because mp3s sound so crappy. I use all of my boxes as tools, and then diversions. So for online a Linux and a XP laptop, sure am glad that Compaq built that laptop with the rescue disk built right into the hard drive, it only takes a few minutes to clean out the wifes laptop and get it set back up for the next round of virii off the net.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 06:52      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I go to a primarily engineering/science university and at least half the laptops here are macs.

I think in our Earth Sciences department, people's personal machines probably run Mac > Linux > Windows. Actually, you can go further and look at which groups stereotypically use each type of machine: Climatologists and mineralogists use Macs, geophysics always run Linux, and sedimentologists tend to use Windows. Strange.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 07:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ sedimentologists aren't they bottom feeders like lawyers?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 11:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
]Not really. When one or more of the major points is a complete fabrication, it can't be said to be a minor detail. Thanks for trying, though [Razz]

When less than 10% of the population account for around 1/4 of the downloads, I think it's fair to say that they download more (per person) than the others.
Mind giving a source for that data point? It sure as hell isn't in the linked article and I haven't seen any report that splits out online music sales by OS.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 13:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mind giving a source for that data point? It sure as hell isn't in the linked article and I haven't seen any report that splits out online music sales by OS.
I was quoting your calculation
quote:
Steen:
According to the article, Mac users download and pay for far more music than PC users. Half of them reported downloading music in the same time period that only sixteen percent of PC users did.

... but over 90% of computer users use something other than a Mac, so ... let's see... 90%*16%=14.4% of computer users used something other than a Mac to buy and download music. 10%*50%=5% of Mac users used their Macs to buy and download music.

Going by the raw figures above, 16% of PC users vs 50% of Mac user -> Mac users 2.5 times more likely to download music.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 14:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:

Umm... no you weren't. My calculation gave 10% of the PC users as Mac users (a made up number that exaggerates market share in Apples favor, as I stated) and only half of those, 5% (exaggerated), bought and downloaded music. You cannot infer that Mac users account for 25% of all music that's bought and downloaded from that, as there is no information on volume of music purchased.

Even the percentages of users aren't cut and dried. Using myself as an example, I purchase and download music* quite often. I also own systems with Mac OS, Windows, Xen, a couple of flavors of Linux and one very buggy home brewed OS that sort of makes it past POST but not much else so far. Which category do I fall into? (besides geek)

*almost always DRM free stuff that comes directly from the artist rather than Amazon or iTunes or any of the other regular stores. I also buy CDs directly from artists too, if I can, because they get their royalty plus the profit margin the store would usually take (and the CDs sometimes show up signed, which is kinda cool).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2008 15:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Famous Druid wrote:

Umm... no you weren't. My calculation gave 10% of the PC users as Mac users (a made up number that exaggerates market share in Apples favor, as I stated) and only half of those, 5% (exaggerated), bought and downloaded music. You cannot infer that Mac users account for 25% of all music that's bought and downloaded from that, as there is no information on volume of music purchased.

Ok, would you be happier with
quote:
When less than 10% of the population account for around 1/4 of the downloaders
My dictionary link is looking more and more justified... [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture