homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » pick my next bike! v.gotta make a decision pretty much RIGHT NOW

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pick my next bike! v.gotta make a decision pretty much RIGHT NOW
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted May 24, 2007 16:41      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bike 1:

'98 Bandit 1200s
45+k miles, never dropped, barely a scratch, might need a rear tire
$2700, i ride away
private seller

-

bike 2:
'98 triumph spirit
30k miles, excellent condition
$3500 after tax, dealer fee, reg, etc. (might be able to bitch at 'em to get 3200)
local dealer

-

need to make a decision by ~9am tomorrow, as the guy who owns the 1st one is going on a 3-week trip and will be gone from his house by 10

#1: got cash in hand
#2: would have to wait until end of the month to actually pick it up (even though i went in and flashed a few dozen $100 bills at the salesgeek, 3200 is a bit over what i want to spend considering i need gear as well) (actually, 2700 is way over too)

pros and cons of each bike?
what would YOU get?

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 16:54      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Behind this door is bike Number 4.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 17:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had my druthers ( And the cash) I would go with the Trump. But I like that kind of self abuse.

Though from what others have told me they are no longer are plagued with electronics by the Prince Of Darkness and are quite reliable. Plus you have the locking bags, a nice feature if you need to keep tools safe. [Wink] Plus beats the hell out of the green duffel bag I plan on using with mine.

But the Bandit being Japanese has a reliability record second to none. And more than likely be cheaper on both service and parts.

Since both are over 1000 cc's you are going to be paying a higher premium for insurance. Just the nature of the beast. Probably not a bad idea to check hat out. And also run some numbers on what general service will cost for each

But really if you are asking for opinions, buy a speed triple!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 17:10      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's a '98 triumph adventurer with cb600 bars on it (and resulting chips in the tank from smacking them), a seat that needs replacing, 17k on it

looks nice, but not for the $2500 price tag the shop wants for it

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 21:01      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I wouldn't bother with that.

If they already put a set of crappy bars on it and fsckd it up by doing so. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there is a host of other issues.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 05:47      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trump, hands down.

Electronics are a lot better than they used to be. Saddlebags are great, I rarely go anywhere without them -- cool mornings and hot afternoons you have a place for your coat. In fact I keep jeans, shirt, socks, etc. all packed up in big ziplock baggies, so I can take off on a moments notice.

Six months from now you won't miss the $500.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 06:06      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Triumph, first an foremost you are getting it from a dealer so there is going to be a guarantee.
I no longer buy bikes from personal ads, private sellers, etc. as I have only had bad experiences with them.

At least I hope you can trust the dealer [Confused] .

Though seeing your record with motor vehicles, should you not buy a Sherman Tank? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 10:30      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, just get a Vespa - g33kch1x dig 'em, and you'll have less opportunities to severely damage yourself (although I highly doubt there would be much difference between bike meets truck and Vespa meets truck scenarios.)
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 10:51      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Dude, just get a Vespa - g33kch1x dig 'em, and you'll have less opportunities to severely damage yourself (although I highly doubt there would be much difference between bike meets truck and Vespa meets truck scenarios.)

vespa
on the highway
in south florida

yeah, if that's not a deathwish, i don't know what one is

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 14:09      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I ever rode a death trap machine the Vespa/Lambretta scooter design is it...

Well that and the old Yamaha RD with the original square cut tyres...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 14:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what didja get?

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 16:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Well, what didja get?

I didn't get nothin', I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 17:04      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the group W bench. [Razz]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2007 18:26      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perverts...

May I take your order?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 26, 2007 09:58      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Triumph are one of my customers and I can tell you that they love their bikes and the new factory is a thing of beauty. I can also agree that the triple is the best engine for road use in the U.K. - it might not fit so well in the U.S. depending on how you drive and what your local roads and traffic are like.

Of course, Triumph don't have the HUGE R&D budget that Yamaha do but the Bandit is a budget built bike and it can really show. On the other hand, my neighbour has one and he seems happy enough (although he just took his advanced test on his 900 Diversion instead). Took the Bandit to Scotland for the weekend though - I'll let you know how that turned out, if you like . .

Anyway, Triumphs no longer have Lucas electrics and they don't leak oil, and they don't need a right leg like a rhino and the patience of a saint to get them started, and you only really have to spend all weekend polishing them if you like that sort of thing. They go, stop and steer like any other good quality motorcycle and the triple has the most beautiful engine note - none of your potato-potato here.

If I were spending the money (and I'm not because I have a lovely Honda Blackbird with Yoshi carbon road cans) then I'd get the Triumph because of the cachet and the quality. Which Triumph I'd get I'm not sure - the Sprint would be in there though.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture