homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » What do you wear to work? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What do you wear to work?
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 20:32      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always jeans with either a t-shirt or a short sleeved casual button up shirt. And NEVER a Polo style shirt!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mephisto

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 666

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 21:39      Profile for mephisto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Today it was my Zend php5 tshirt.

--------------------
"Liberate tutame exinferis."

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 00:03      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Work being uni - a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and maybe a shirt over the top.
Work being internship this summer - I've no idea what the dress code is yet!

Posts: 1152 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted May 11, 2007 01:33      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working from home - whatever I like, or not as the fancy suits me (bit of a shock for the delivery people though). On the road, Logo'd shirt from my main client (if I'm representing them) plus suit, or just the full suit / tie.

It's not the visits that kill me it's the driving in a full suit - I usually take some scruffy shorts and a t-shirt to wear in the car and change just before I get to the site.

Or if I'm travelling on the bike (motor variety!) a pair of Draggin' Jeans and some Triumph low boots plus the logo shirt. A lot of my clients are media types and actually find the suit odd / amusing. A surprising number are also bikers which helps - including Triumph motorcycles themselves.

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 03:41      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dress pants, dress shirt, dress shoes. Thankfully no tie or jacket, though. Damn corporate dress code.

On the plus side, Friday is jeans day during the summer. [hearts]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 05:32      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever I happen to pull out of the basket of laundry that's waiting to be folded and put away. Today it's jeans and a polo shirt.

Yay for no dress code.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 634 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 09:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeans and a t-shirt. They don't pay me to look pretty.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:59      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I wore black slacks and a black polo. I've got the next four days off for training, comes with mileage and per-diem plus they're springing for a hotel room. I'm going to sleep on my little sister's couch and pocket the hotel money.

After this weekend I'll be wearing a lab coat and safety glasses to work- I get to teach my own chemistry lab over the summer semester and possibly through next year!!! Power!!

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 11, 2007 16:09      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
As I'm a sweaty tomato wheezing through town on two wheels, it's a close-hugging t-shirt and a pair of manky, old jogging pants... complete with a layer of dried road-mud up my back, and a residue of yellow drool and lung-haemorrage.

Glad to hear nothing's changed since I've been away.... [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 11, 2007 16:37      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snupes! [Applause] What a treat! Lovely to hear from you again! How are you? Are you well and happy? Do you still like it here in the UK? etc. etc. [Smile]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 17:21      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snupy!!! Wow, it's been a while [Big Grin]

How's things?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 17:45      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
As I'm a sweaty tomato wheezing through town on two wheels, it's a close-hugging t-shirt and a pair of manky, old jogging pants... complete with a layer of dried road-mud up my back, and a residue of yellow drool and lung-haemorrage.

Glad to hear nothing's changed since I've been away.... [Wink]
Well, howdy doody, Ma'am! Yous sump'n of a stranger round these parts of late. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 19:36      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome home Snupy!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 20:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. A blast from the past. Hi.
Posts: 2905 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 22:23      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snupy! Hi! Hope all is well in the UK with you.

As for me, I'm with quantumfluff. Pajama pants and a t-shirt - when in a really good mood, my "geekier than thou" t - socks optional according to weather.

Of course, when I'm out on a job, it's the basic black on black - or A/V peeps that may get on camera. Or, the odd guest chef gig, where I wear a white coat and crazy colored baggy chef pants.

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 22:38      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eek! Sorry!
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 22:39      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double post - argh!
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 22:41      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
arghh!
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 09:50      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, howdy doody, Ma'am! Yous sump'n of a stranger round these parts of late. [Smile]

Ok, now that reminds me of another thing that bugs me-the word is SOMETHING, not "summit", like a lot of people say here...where the heck does that come from???

I'm fine, Calli-yes, still loving it here, except for a few things:

-everything closes so darned early here-and what's the deal with Sundays?!
-There are about 12 different words to describe rain
-the media in this country are obsessed with footballers and their wives
-customer service is...well, an oxymoron most of the time
-restaurants put butter and/or bacon on everything!

On the plus side:

-everyone is sooo friendly
-it's always green and pretty
-people are in such a good mood when the sun comes out
-the Thai food here is awesome
-Sunday dinners
-the lovely accents
-Posh is America's problem now

I do love living out in the country, though. We're close enough to Leeds to make it convenient, but also have the quietness of village life.

Thanks for saying "hi", everyone!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 12, 2007 10:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snups! awesome! great to read you! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8183 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 11:24      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soon I will be sporting fatigues.

-

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 14:06      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and what I wear to work-black pants and black Trophy Pet Foods polo, both laden with dog hair! We deliver pet food to anywhere from 5-25 dogs a day. and, of course, we always have to say hello!

Some of our customers are here:

www.trophyleeds.com

--------------------

LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 18:44      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To work? How about to crew? Since that in itself is a job? [Wink]

Navy spandex shorts, bright blue racer back tank-top, gray sweats that say "CREW" on the bum (Yes...I'm guilty of wearing them.) white work out tee, and a light green zip-up jacket that says, "American Eagle" on the back. Of course by the end of the row this morning I was down to my bare layers of shorts and racer tank because it was just too damn hot. [crazy]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 21:08      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It varies, but I dress professionally. Usually a skirt and blazer or suit.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 09:05      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Docs, Black Dickies and a button up shirt. I have nicer stuff, but since I began to do tech work in a factory, anything lighter than black generally winds up black anyway...

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2476 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture