homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » School violence (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: School violence
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 20:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank god they stopped these maniacs before the Energizier Bunny wound up dead [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 28, 2007 22:00      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think that Sasquatch County principal might have over-reacted? Even more than suspending students for bringing realistic squirt-guns to school? I'm certainly glad to learn that Tom Cruise is safe- it would be a shame for the Scientologists to lose him so soon after they proclaimed him a representative of a superior alien race.

Wow, I'm glad that I haven't gotten in that much trouble for all the times I've used the word "kill." To think, I might have gone to juvenile detention for trying to kill someone with kindness. Or for killing the weeds in the driveway. I wonder why he is declining to reveal the specific wording of this... um... threat. Is he embarassed? I am.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2007 22:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News Update: A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a Mr Wile E Coyote, after death threats were made against a roadrunner.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 00:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
News Update: A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a Mr Wile E Coyote, after death threats were made against a roadrunner.

And yet Acme is getting of scott free. Someone has paid for good lobbyists. [crazy]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 07:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All__________________________I have to admit that it does seem like an over reaction. However School Admins are running scared, No one wants their school to be the next Columbine. Who really knows what kids have gottin their hands on. there was a kid in Detroit who was close to critical mass in a garden shed, he was only trying to generate heat, he did it by getting his hands on the ionizing pellet in smoke detectors (lots of smoke detectors). Could have been a real problem, he was smart enough to keep two less than critical mass stock piles that he labeled as radioactive. A Dearborn cop pulled him over for some infraction saw the radioactive symbol and searched the car and then the home, at that time the Feds became interested.

So how much work is it to make a dirty bomb?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 07:49      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teachers and the admin are supposed to have conversations with the students at their schools about what will happen if anything of that sort is found or heard. They also have to send Code of Conduct forms home with the students. They probably should talk more about what the consequences are. Although this might not have been a serious attempt, the admin did the right thing, as they are supposed to create a safe environment for the children. A prof of mine told us a story once about how a student of his stated he was going to go home and kill himself over the weekend in a joking manner. It was shrugged off, and the kid climbed a tower and was going to jump. My prof was called and managed to talk him down.

It's tough being the teacher to have to make that call.

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 08:23      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Hi All__________________________I have to admit that it does seem like an over reaction. However School Admins are running scared, No one wants their school to be the next Columbine. Who really knows what kids have gottin their hands on. there was a kid in Detroit who was close to critical mass in a garden shed, he was only trying to generate heat, he did it by getting his hands on the ionizing pellet in smoke detectors (lots of smoke detectors). Could have been a real problem, he was smart enough to keep two less than critical mass stock piles that he labeled as radioactive. A Dearborn cop pulled him over for some infraction saw the radioactive symbol and searched the car and then the home, at that time the Feds became interested.

Where did you hear that? I didn't know you could make a nuclear bomb out of Americium, let alone get enough for two sub-critical masses from a bunch of smoke detectors. Was he trying to make a 'dirty bomb' that just flings radioactive stuff everywhere, or an actual nuclear weapon?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 10:09      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if MoMan's story's true or not, but I've also heard a derivative of it, including old parts from old school grandfather clocks which apparently also had some radioactive chemical in them.

Apparently he was actually trying to perform some sort of scientific experiment, and had no intention of harming anyone at all.

Judging by the Internet, however, I'd suggest the likely scenario is that it's purely fictional.

The school would have done well to sit down with the kids and ask them what was up. Chances are, they'd have come clean. Sounds like something I would put on my 'myspace' page if I was lame enough to have one.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 10:34      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
idiots, the school that is.

We all know you can't kill Oprah and Tom, and the energizer bunny has long bean beamed up with the alliens.

But i find it funny the drastic measures they take against these kids and how some ppl are reacting to it. At my school not a day goes by where someone says something which in the states would be taken as a serious threat. And its not like my school is bad or anything - quite the opposite my school is probally one of the safest schools to be in Canada. Its just that we are smart enough to distinguish the difference between some list some teenage girls made up out of boredom or fun and the real thing.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 11:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
I didn't know you could make a nuclear bomb out of Americium, let alone get enough for two sub-critical masses from a bunch of smoke detectors. Was he trying to make a 'dirty bomb' that just flings radioactive stuff everywhere, or an actual nuclear weapon?

Sounds like an urban myth to me, but...

It's actually quite difficult to achieve a nuclear explosion, as the fissionable material has a tendency to heat up and melt through whatever container it's in. In nuclear weapons they basically they fire several carefully shaped sub-critical masses out of a gun towards each other.

So, whatever his intention, the worst he'd actually have achieved is a bright flash, a smoking hole in the ground, and some contaminated ground-water.

[edit] Not an urban myth and not a terrorist plot, just a science geek who didn't know when to stop.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 14:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nerdwithnofriends & drunkennewfiemidget_____________The story first appeared in the american publication Readers Digest. He frequented antique shops and even found some old radium paint. I forgot how he got some of the materials, but he wrote to Smoke Detector companies posing as a science student working on a Science Fair project. He was trying to be just short of critical to generate heat. He was not trying to build a weapon just a heat source. He was smart enough to keep the sources seporate because he did not want it to go critical unattended. The AEC dug up a lot of the back yard and barreled it up and off.

The Famous Druid ____________Yup thats the kid I read about in the condensed story.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 15:17      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again why is the FBI concerned about some kid making a heat source with smoke detectors? I would have given the kid a scholarship and told him not to blow up his parents and stay in school.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 15:35      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I like the only person here who made lists like that as a kid?

Because...I believe the proper statement would be "omg wtfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffz".

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 18:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If I understand what a "dirty bomb" is supposed to do (make a great big radioactive mess) then it's not much work at all. Assuming, of course, you can get the material.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 19:18      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
nerdwithnofriends & drunkennewfiemidget_____________The story first appeared in the american publication Readers Digest. He frequented antique shops and even found some old radium paint. I forgot how he got some of the materials, but he wrote to Smoke Detector companies posing as a science student working on a Science Fair project. He was trying to be just short of critical to generate heat. He was not trying to build a weapon just a heat source. He was smart enough to keep the sources seporate because he did not want it to go critical unattended. The AEC dug up a lot of the back yard and barreled it up and off.

The Famous Druid ____________Yup thats the kid I read about in the condensed story.

It should generate heat no matter what. Radium isn't cheap... it took Mme. Curie like ten tons of pitchblende to isolate a milligram of it. He truly must have wanted to generate a lot of heat or energy; the thing is, it's putting a lot of energy, whether not he could have felt it as warmth.

I've been doing a lot of research on nuclear physics and the Manhattan Project lately, so this stuff kind of interests me. If anybody's looking for a good read, I recommend Classic Feynman.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 19:20      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say hang the little girls.

Give them a fair trial, then hang them.

We just can't be too sure anymore, so why take chances?

These little girls have probably been exposed to video games, anyway, so it's a matter of time before the ticking time bomb of violence takes its horrible toll with these mini-terrorists.

If this seems too harsh to you, well then the image of these little girls dangling Saddam Hussein-like from a rope ought to motivate you to get involved with the local schools and prevent a future tragedy like this.

Hang 'em.

Unless, of course, their parents are huge financial supporters of the Republican party. Then give them the Dick Cheney Medal of Meritorious Recklessness and a mid-six figure job pretending to run something in Iraq from a secure bunker.

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 20:40      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if they cut-out yearbook pictures and pasted them into a scrapbook, too...

"That's why her hair is so big, it's full of secrets."

Is it any wonder why this country is a joke?

--------------------
"I love humanity but I hate people." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Posts: 102 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 03:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen_________________________Back to school vioence
had the two lads that shot up Columbine High School really known how to use the propane they took into the building, it would have been a much more difficult body count. They were bent on self distruction so they did not care, once they got their list compleat or nearly.

A few years back on one of those home vidio TV shows a couple just happenoned to be filming a valley view when a mansion on the other side blew up. The owner of the mansion had laid off the help and gone to Europe for the summer, The last night he had at the mansion, cooked steak on the balcony and then pulled the gas grill inside turned off the control knob (but not the wheel valve) called for the limo and got on the plane. Three weeks later the propane being heavier than air settled in to the low point of the mansion and was found by a spark or pilot light.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 07:29      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan:

There is a vast difference between what Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold did and what this group of girls did which should not be ignored.

The girls' MySpace posts (taken down now, but still in Google's cache for the morbidly curious... no, I'm not providing links or directions) took the tone of "I think we should kill the energizer bunny too... those commercials are annoying." By comparison, Eric Harris was posting about how many pipe bombs he had built and how many guns he had collected.

The girls had no weapons. Eric and Dylan had 12 gauge shotguns, 9mm handguns and a variety of poorly constructed bombs.

The girls have no previous criminal record. Eric and Dylan had been previously caught with stolen computers and a judge decided both needed psychiatric help.

Understand... I don't think the girls should have gotten off without punishment, but I believe the punishment should fit the crime. Charging them with conspiracy to commit murder seems a bit over-the-top considering that their list of 'victims' includes a fictional character (it also included George Bush and the FBI got involved, although that wasn't in the linked article and we only wish he was a fictional character).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
catgoddess
Geek
Member # 6838

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 08:05      Profile for catgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap... George Bush is real boy? I thought those news stories were just urban legends...

I'm not even sure how the connection can be made between these girls and Columbine. Yes, they're all high school students. Yes, they had friends.

OH MY GAWD! File charges. Sound the alarms! It's the next Columbine. Teenagers filled with angst and hatred... what an oddity of adolescence.

You would be hard-pressed to find a person who hasn't made a comment like, "go jump off a cliff" or "go play in traffic" or any other variation thereof. Whether you make it public, or keep it inside your head with the other voices, makes no difference. You're all going to jail now.

I agree, that in this politically correct culture we live in, that the girls should have been told about the effects their blog had on others. But comparing it to Columbine is a stretch of the imagination.

--------------------
"I love humanity but I hate people." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Posts: 102 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 08:45      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, from what I've seen and read, administrators often feel they have to over-react in order to appear to be taking sufficient measures for the public. Anything less, and they can end up in a lot of trouble with public opinion, and could lose their jobs. Having dealt with a more than a few overprotective parents of college students, they can be just plain idiotic, but surprisingly good at getting other parents to go along with them, and I can only imagine how bad it gets at the high school level. It's stupid, but it's the society we live in, where children must be protected from absolutely everything.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 08:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen & catgoddess ______________________That becomes the problem, How do you tell the difference between Little Darlins and the ones that would pull a trigger. The school admin has to protect all of the students, so he dumps the problem on the local prosicuter. So is it blown out of proportion maybe if your child is not on their list. A local school admin here in Michigan ot into a heap of trouble because he tried to strip search some students claiming that they did not have any consitutional rights.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 09:35      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a problem that could be resolved by educating the fools in these districts before they're allowed to breed. Their children are safer in schools (even the ones without metal detectors) than they are in the car during the ride to school. Schools are still, statistically, the safest place in the world for children. Recent (obsessive) media coverage of isolated incidents has lead to (misguided) expectation of danger from fellow students.

If parents really want to increase the safety of schools, they should pay more attention to the (nasty) crap that the lunchrooms are allowed to serve their children and the fact that children are often not allowed to run on the playground (due to liability issues if they fall). More children will die of early-onset diabetes and obesity-related complications from these myopic policies than will ever die of gunshot wounds.

Beyond that, education has been shown to lengthen life-spans more than any other variable. If we want our kids to live long, happy lives, we should insist that schools actually educate them- you know, teach them how to think critically- instead of just drilling them in preparation for some Federal standardized (stoopid! Fscking Lame!) test!

We should make it easier to fire crappy teachers and by increasing teacher sallaries increase the likelihood that we will hire good teachers. A big chunk of the military budget should be diverted to education and universal health coverage for children- what good are safe borders if the citicens within them are uneducated? By increasing the level of health care children receive we can effectively increase their average I.Q. AND lengthen their lifespans AND reduce the amount of money they must spend on healthcare when they grow up.

Instead of running around trying to prevent highly unlikely scenarios from occuring, lets focus on the likely ones and spend our money where it will do the most good. I hear a lot of politicians talk about family values, but I see very few of them legislate in ways that are good for families.

That's my rant. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 09:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScholasticSpastic wins this thread. The end. It's over. Nothing to see here.
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 30, 2007 09:51      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I win? I WIN??!! I never win anything! This is soooo cool! Oh, my gosh, oh, my... okay, breath... um... ... ack!<thud>

... ... ...

Wow, it's a good thing I had those jumper cables on my nipples because I'd be dead now if I hadn't!

I'm a winner!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture