homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » 200 calories

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 200 calories
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 17:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So that's what 200 calories looks like

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 17:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen_________________________You seem to find the damnedest stuff or your network of friends has some very strange tastes.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 18:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's a bit of both. You should see the links I've been given/found this evening that I didn't post because they don't belong on this site [Eek!]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 18:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: Boing boing. and Digg.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 18:34      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok but I've always wondered which weighed more:

100 Kilos of Carrots or 100 Kilos of Broccolli?
I failed metrics.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 18:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
MoMan: Boing boing. and Digg.

digg annoys me too much, but I do go to boing boing and also engadget, gizmodo, cruel, shiny shiny,slashdot, the link of the day from userfriendly and lovely friends of the sort who send me links first thing in the morning that say they found a rotisserie that makes excellent gyros, but actually link to meatspin.com (NSFW, I wouldn't go there if I were you), plus some searching of my own. There are others, but those are the link blogs that I most commonly browse.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 19:38      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm always amused by statements like this:

"According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the average adult needs to consume about 2000 - 2500 calories to maintain their weight."

Particularly when we understand the average adult has one breast and one testicle..

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 20:42      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow I love this! mainly because carrots, celery, canned corn, pasta, and tuna make up pretty much my entire diet.
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2007 20:47      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
I'm always amused by statements like this:

"According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the average adult needs to consume about 2000 - 2500 calories to maintain their weight."

Particularly when we understand the average adult has one breast and one testicle..

CP

[thumbsup] Haw haw, I am totally stealing that line.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 01:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely you meant 200 kcal or 200,000 calories.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 06:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka wrote:
Surely you meant 200 kcal or 200,000 calories.

I was wondering who would say that. In the US, we have the screwy concept of a dietary calorie that equals 1,000 real calories. I have no idea why, but I suspect it comes from the same mindset that created a sizing system that allowed for women to not only be a size 0, but to allow for sizes smaller than 0. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 07:49      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[ohwell] that made me hungry...

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 09:31      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you burned more calories eating celery than the celery gave you nutritionally, in theory being a negative calorie food?
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 09:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
I thought you burned more calories eating celery than the celery gave you nutritionally, in theory being a negative calorie food?

Interesting. Such a food could technically exsist but I have never heard this. I assume you are speaking of the stalk an not the root. Where did you hear this?

Also, I like the idea and pictures are well done but the scientist in me would have had a measuring stick (metric) in the picture to help gauge scale.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 10:00      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:

That's what I heard too. And it seems it's true!

I especially like this part:
quote:
Though chewing might feel like a somewhat strenuous activity, it burns about the same amount of energy as watching paint dry.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 10:50      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:

Surely the average (mean) adult would have just under one testicle and just under one breast, in the same way that the average adult only has 1.9 legs?

Actually, I'm not so sure about the breast one, given women outnumber gents. Depends if the number of women with one (or two) missing breasts is large enough to overcome the input of the "extra" women with two. Oh, and what about hermaphrodites with at least one of both. It's all so complicated! [Smile]

Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 13:27      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I didn't know better, I would choose to live on the Jellie Bellies [hearts] . Unfortunately, my Reality Distortion Field won't compensate for the lack of nutrition this would cause, so I'm resorting to the various healthy foods listed. My Super weakness: Dr. Pepper and Mountain Dew. Yes, yes, I confess [Razz] .

Tominfla otherwise known as tamiflu (BA said it first!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture