homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Scammers getting smarter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scammers getting smarter?
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 19:32            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had his scam arrive in my inbox; take note of the link in the e-mail. Someone's getting cleverer.

---

Dear Friend

This email should be treated with utmost confidentiality and if you are unable to assist please delete this message and keep confidential. Thank you. My name is Sgt. John J. Sloane ; I am an American soldier, serving in the military with the Third infantry Division in Iraq. I and my superior moved funds belonging to Saddam Hussein, the total is $38,000, 000.00 (Thirty Eight million US dollars) this money is being kept safe in a secured location. You
can go to this web link to read about events that took place here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm

Since we are working for the government we cannot keep these funds, we have decided to look for someone to help us keep this funds this is why I have contacted you, so you can keep it for us in your safe account or an offshore account. We will divide the total funds in three ways. You will take 30%, and 30% will be for me, and my superior will take 30%. 10% will be kept aside for expenses. This business is confidential, and it should not be discussed with anyone.

Note that there is no risk involved whatsoever. If you are interested I will send you the full details, my job is to find a good partner that we can trust and that will assist us. Can I trust you? To ensure confidentiality, when you receive this letter, kindly reply me via this e-mail: [email protected], i am using this email for security reasons. Please signify your interest including your confidential telephone/fax numbers for quick communication and also your contact details.

Yours sincerely

Sgt. John J. Sloane

IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 04:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uilleann______________________I have recieved many of the same type of requests, Usually some oilfield engineer, killed leader or the whole family ran off the road no heirs.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 05:05            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ones that use a reputable news source to back up the e-mail? I've never had one before. I guess I just don't get enough e-mail. (I don't)
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 13:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, the victims aren't getting any smarter.

I mean, really, who falls for the old "I've got $38 million in stolen money, and I've picked you at random to receive $11 million of it, in exchange for a few hours of your time" scam?

Mr Barnam was right, but with the increase in the worlds population, there's now one born every 11.3 seconds.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 14:42      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry U,

I have a nephew who was transferred from his original assignment to transporting gold bullion and US currency that was in Hussein's vaults.

Every shipment he was involved in protecting went to shipping containers destined for Halliburton.

The money has not been seen since.

Of course this is a scam.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 15:47            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it's a frigging scam :P Why do you all think I'm asking if it's a scam or not? I just find it amusing what they'te trying now. And the usarmy.com e-mail address (note: the US military uses .mil not .com)
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 07:26      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 09:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann: Wow. You're right. They are getting smarter. That's kind of scary.

Then again, a fool and his money are soon parted, right?

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 10:00      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get your free usarmy.com email here.

That's how they make it look legit.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 11:29      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people really do fall for it. My boyfriend's grandmother once sent away $30 for some kind of processing fee so that she could get the $100,000 she won in a contest she never entered. The family has to be cautious of what she does so that she doesn't lose all her money to a scam.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 13:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some scams are far more believable than others.

I recently got an email purportedly from a law firm trying to track down beneficiaries for a deceased estate. It all looked quite official, with correct spelling, grammar, and an actual contact address here in oz.

I didn't fall for it, because as a recent arrival in this country I knew for certain that I didn't have any great-uncles who'd made a fortune in the mining biz in Western Australia 40 years ago, but I can see how the average non-moron could be taken in by such a plausible-looking scam.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
chicgeek
Geek
Member # 1556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2007 14:34      Profile for chicgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you see how many different versions there are of that scam, it's almost funny ... until you realize the scam is still out there because people are falling for it. Then it's sad. For a few minutes, at least. Then it's funnier.
Posts: 235 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 07:35      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I got some 10-15 of those "nigerian scams" in my gmail spam box at any given time, but the most popular spam is the "there´s a problem with your paypal account", which leads to a fake paypal site for login, and from the volume, seems too many people never read the paypal read me which says "Never enter your password into any site except ww.paypal.com"
Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 17:43      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working in a library, I see too many older people who have gotten various scams and have gotten themselves enmeshed. It just makes you want to cry. They have limited funds and see a chance to leave their family something.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture