homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Maybe I *should* get an iPod...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maybe I *should* get an iPod...
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 19:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...since it seems they're multi-functional!

http://ap.lancasteronline.com/4/ipod_rescue

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 14:30      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So they are!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 15:12      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
So they are!

But of course they are - you can use the Zune as a blunt trauma-inducing weapon, and you won't even see the bloodstains on the camel turd colored model [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 15:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comrade: A Cat-5 garrote is much cheaper. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 15:43      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
So they are!

But of course they are - you can use the Zune as a blunt trauma-inducing weapon, and you won't even see the bloodstains on the camel turd colored model [Smile]
When I read the headline the first thing I though was, "There is no way someone managed to hack an ATM Network with a goddamned iPod."
baker_nat
Geek
Member # 116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 08:07      Profile for baker_nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the article, think ipods are overpriced. You can get the same for 1/2 the price.

--------------------
Visit my site: -

http://www.splashtech.co.uk/natb

Posts: 171 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 10:20      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by baker_nat:
Like the article, think ipods are overpriced. You can get the same for 1/2 the price.

Links? Products? Do they include an easy to use interface? And easy to use music management software for my computer?
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 10:22      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now you can track/stalk people if they have the Nike iPod sport kit. Article here.
baker_nat
Geek
Member # 116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 12:02      Profile for baker_nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately i dont live in the US. Something like the Creative Zen series would provide some better VFM.

A quick google search turned up the following

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=UW-F029&cat=MP3

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1951860&CatId=2475

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855102239

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855189005

So there are plenty of alternitives to the ipod, most of these support video, are between $80 and $130, and have 1-2GB of memory

Ok so ipods often have more memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855101431

-- but this is the nearest apple offering of the same league, $159.99

--------------------

Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 14:49      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes there are other MP3 players, but have you ever used some of the god awful software they include to manage the music on it? Not worth the headache! People that complain about the iPod being over priced & "just a fad" are usually the ones that have never used one. I bought 3 or 4 different MP3 players to save $.

In the end I returned each one or sold them on ebay due to them being being a major headache to deal with, i.e. Archos player kept crashing and losing all the music, RCA lyra, was nice but the Music Match software was a POS, and a couple generic ones, I forget the brands but they were just drag the files onto the player, no music management software. I went with an iPod.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2006 17:36      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used other people's iPods and I still believe that they are overpriced fadware.

I still like my old Jukebox3 and will hang on to it until it fries the logic board. Considering I can replace the hard drive and anything else I need. Plus the Linux and Amarok do a fantastic job of supporting my Jukebox.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
baker_nat
Geek
Member # 116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2006 05:07      Profile for baker_nat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the software is abominable, such as the software used in sony's walkman. Like an ipod, it uses it's own format, but will leave (and this is a very rough guess) about 10% of the files, saying it is unable to covert.

The two i have used, are consideraby smaller fare, a 256 model and a 128. The 128 was made by advent, and was the simplest device in the world, i simply transfered the files manualy, or using the software of my choice (usualy mplayer). The thing was sturdy, and still works in a mates pocket to this day. On the other hand the Packard Bell audiomove 256, is one of the most appauling pieces i have ever seen. Transfer of files, and the flashdisk element are fine, but every time i install a new battery, i have to scuff the ends up to create resistance, so that it will accept the higher voltage, and even then it has to drain the battery by restarting itself repeatedly.

Cheaper models are something of a mixed bag, but most sites will show customer feedback, telling you what others thought of the product.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 00:07      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
I have used other people's iPods and I still believe that they are overpriced fadware.

I still like my old Jukebox3 and will hang on to it until it fries the logic board. Considering I can replace the hard drive and anything else I need. Plus the Linux and Amarok do a fantastic job of supporting my Jukebox.

True, but they also support the iPod nicely, I'm led to believe. Plus, if you're after a big storage capacity player (as in 60Gb or 80Gb say), the iPod is really the only game in town AFAIK.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 07:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the cost argument, but I really must say that I'm very impressed by the iPod's software. It has a very usable UI.

That said, I can't justify the expense for myself, as I simply have no real need for an MP3 player. When I fly, I take my Zaurus with me, and play MP3s and Oggs via shell script. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 08:12      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dragged my feet for months on buying an iPod, but in October I sprang for the 80gig model. I can play mp3s on my Palm Tungsten T5, after all. However, I now regret waiting so long. I've owned a few mp3 players over the years (mostly from Creative) but the iPod beats them all, hands down. The ease of use actually encourages me to use the iPod more often, and the capacity? I've got this season of Lost and an entire season of Foster's Home for Imaginary friends on it, plus a ton of podcasts and the music I've loaded. I haven't even used half the capacity yet.

I only have one complaint, and that's a minor quibble. I can't sync the device to my Windows machine at work and my Macbook at home. I won't complain too much though. [Wink]

If anyone's looking for a great podcast, check out 7th Son, a free podcast novel by JC Hutchins. But don't try to jump in where the story is now - go back and download the first episode of book one. It's great stuff.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 08:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want an mp3 player that holds lots of songs, displays id3, but I don't need a big screen, just works as a usb mass storage device so I can use it on any computer I please, and has a rechargeable battery, and a usable ui.

Or even better, an api and lets me write my own damn mp3 player software.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 08:54      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, good thing I have one, I go on mushroom hunts all the time, but if you're out for rooms then you wouldn't call the cops would you?
Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 11:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
if you're after a big storage capacity player (as in 60Gb or 80Gb say), the iPod is really the only game in town AFAIK.

I got the (then) biggest iPod, and like it a lot, but if I was replacing it, I'd get the shuffle. I rarely use my iPod in anything other than shuffle mode, so the shuffle would give me the features I use regularly in a size I can clip to my keyring, longer battery life, and enough $$$ left over to buy one each for the rest of Clan McDruid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 12:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... if you're after a big storage capacity player (as in 60Gb or 80Gb say), the iPod is really the only game in town AFAIK.

In the range of new... sorta.

But WRT my old Jukebox. The last known drive size installed on one was, I believe, 60GB. But I think I am going to give an 80GB a shot sometime when finances are going better.

All I need is a phillips screwdriver and a 2.5" drive.

Who knows, maybe I will end up an iPod user, someday. But those new Zens don't look too bad.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2006 21:06      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
... if you're after a big storage capacity player (as in 60Gb or 80Gb say), the iPod is really the only game in town AFAIK.

In the range of new... sorta.

But WRT my old Jukebox. The last known drive size installed on one was, I believe, 60GB. But I think I am going to give an 80GB a shot sometime when finances are going better.

All I need is a phillips screwdriver and a 2.5" drive.

Who knows, maybe I will end up an iPod user, someday. But those new Zens don't look too bad.

I bet you could stuff a 120-gigger in there. Beat that, ipod [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 00:41      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
if you're after a big storage capacity player (as in 60Gb or 80Gb say), the iPod is really the only game in town AFAIK.

I got the (then) biggest iPod, and like it a lot, but if I was replacing it, I'd get the shuffle. I rarely use my iPod in anything other than shuffle mode, so the shuffle would give me the features I use regularly in a size I can clip to my keyring, longer battery life, and enough $$$ left over to buy one each for the rest of Clan McDruid.
Well, yes, there is that. However, even though I use it on shuffle often, there were killer features I required on the video version, namely large storage (whole music collection on one device with spare room for backuping up stuff/using ipod camera connector/etc), and a screen so I can rate the song that's playing if it's unrated thus far.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 08:38      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Something like the Creative Zen series would provide some better VFM.

If I recall correctly, weren't the Zens discontinued after incredibly low sales?

(There was a Creative shop next door to my former Apple Store employer, and they lasted...oh, I'd say about four months before shutting their doors for good. We Apple cultists threw a party in the breakroom.)

Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 01:29      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
quote:
Something like the Creative Zen series would provide some better VFM.

If I recall correctly, weren't the Zens discontinued after incredibly low sales?

(There was a Creative shop next door to my former Apple Store employer, and they lasted...oh, I'd say about four months before shutting their doors for good. We Apple cultists threw a party in the breakroom.)

Creative make iPod accessories now after their patent suit got "Steved". Apple supposedly settled for $100 million or thereabouts, but the deal involves Apple being able to recoup that money as other mp3 player manufacturers pay up on the patent (which has effectively been validated by Apple agreeing to pay up on it). Creative announced at the same time that they'd signed up to make official iPod accessories. End result, Apple will probably make even more money from being sued by Creative (and Creative should make a tidy sum too), also giving Creative an elegant way out of the trying to be an iPod market.

They still actually make mp3 players, but I doubt it will be for too long. Especially if Microsoft throw enough money at Zune marketing to capture the small bit of the market that the iPods don't cover.

If you've got an old player that's happily working for you, then that's cool. But I wouldn't dismiss the iPod just because it's popular. While Apple's marketing for the iPod is nothing short of excellent, it's also a class leading product. Not necessarily for any specific feature (although the interface is way ahead of the competition) but the combination of those features for the price. It also helps that it's not fugly.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 07:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And more on Zune vs iPod...
http://daringfireball.net/2006/12/apple_universal_conjectural_transcript

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(Again, nicked from Digg/apple :-/)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture