homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » ps3 vs. wii vs. 360 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: ps3 vs. wii vs. 360
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 07:52      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:

Without getting too much into it:
Nintendo created a gaming console that is just that. A gaming console.

Yes Jace If you read my post you could see that i see the wii as a gaming console. But from what i've heard so far about the wii is that you can use the wii's controler to kill, shoot, stab, etc with it. Typically nintento has aimed there consoles at the younger age groups and most of the ppl who buy nintendo products fit that age category. So as a parent would you allow your kids to play a console which has the potential for them to be able to replicate violent behavior.

This is just a small issue i see with the wii but i'm not disagreeing with you that the wii isn't an awesome console. I'm just saying it has potential to blow up.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 08:06      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
quote:

Yes Jace If you read my post you could see that i see the wii as a gaming console. But from what i've heard so far about the wii is that you can use the wii's controler to kill, shoot, stab, etc with it. Typically nintento has aimed there consoles at the younger age groups and most of the ppl who buy nintendo products fit that age category. So as a parent would you allow your kids to play a console which has the potential for them to be able to replicate violent behavior.

This is just a small issue i see with the wii but i'm not disagreeing with you that the wii isn't an awesome console. I'm just saying it has potential to blow up.

The Wii may also increase your childs hand-eye coordination, dexterity, reflexes with a katana. Heck, I wouldn't be suprised if you gave your kid a boken after about 40 hours of Wii time and he didn't go running around town with other kids having massive samurai wars, dynasty style.

I do believe this to be fitting:

-

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 08:23      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

...... So as a parent would you allow your kids to play a console which has the potential for them to be able to replicate violent behavior........
This is why the games have ratings, and it's up to the parents to actually monitor what their kids are playing and what they are buying for them.

With that kind of thought you better keep DVD players out of homes with children because they make DVDs that have explicit sex, violence, killing, etc.. on them that children could potentially watch.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 09:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So as a parent would you allow your kids to play a console which has the potential for them to be able to replicate violent behavior.

Violence in computer games?

Surely not!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2006 09:59      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit that I'd never pay ps3 prices with no back compatibility. Actually I wouldn't pay that much for a console. Wouldn't want to get shot for one either. It's like they forgot the difference between real and virtual fighting.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 19, 2006 16:08      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A PS3 takes 370 watts, while the PS2 takes around 79 watts.

I had an original PlayStation which I used to play Dance Dance Mania and not much else [Roll Eyes] I don't see the point of burning more fuel for even more headache inducing arrows and rendered figures awkwardly prancing about.

Mind you, I got to play around with a PS3 a few days ago and the graphics were superb!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2006 19:27      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 360 might not be nearly as fancy as the PS3, but the core model is selling for only $200 at Microcenter. Just FYI...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 07:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the PS3 isn't all it's cracked up to be:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/arts/20game.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 16:59      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Apparently, the PS3 isn't all it's cracked up to be:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/arts/20game.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Now i might be a little bias here, but okay this article is crap besides using childish word such as "prettier" it dosn't even take in consideration that the 360 has been out for a full year while the ps3 has only been out for a few days. After the 360 was released there were massive recalls and many many patches. Of course when ever you release a new product there will be some minor problems which need to be fixed. But all these problems listed in the article can be fixed in a patch or two witch i expect sony will release.

Another problem with the article is the the author claims he has been playing the ps3 for the week before it came out and has played 13 games on the system. As my understanding is that for the release of the ps3 no mayor newpapers got there hands on a ps3 except for during conventions and press meetings. So what console is he playing? or is he just bs us?

my 2 cents (might be off my rocket here but its been a long day)

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 19:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay...Chill out with the Sony fanboyism. (Care for a rootkit?) Did you stop to consider that he writes for the New York Times and maybe they wanted a review out of him? I really don't think a professional writer/reviewer sat out in the cold morning to get the first one in stores.

Please read what he had to say about integration - I really don't think that Microsoft fixed up a crappy box after its release - it must have come out of box that way. He was really addressing software, not hardware. Reading that article, I take from it that Sony spent all their time making the Fastest Gaming System, but forgot to see if it's actually 'cool' or can be used well. It looks like M$ spent a lot more time focusing on the user, rather than on pure specs. Basically, it's like the difference between a Mac Pro and an Alienware box.

It looks like the food chain is now:
Wii -> 360 -> PS3 (in order of best to worst)

Honestly, based on the price and lunacy surrounding the PS3, I really want no part of it - the Wii seems like a damn cool device that I'd /want/ to play with.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2006 20:27            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... (Care for a rootkit?) ...

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2006 16:40      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope Santa brings me a Wii for Christmas.

The Wii appears to be the best bang for your buck. Not only is it the least expensive, but you're saving money on all of the bells and whistles that come with the 360 and the PS3.. I have a computer to do most of them.

I am a party guy, and there is nothing better than getting drunk and playing Super Smash Bros (which will be awesome with the wand) with your close friends. I am looking forward to it all!! and Mario Kart will be sweet too.

Wii > PS3 and 360

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2006 18:16      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay...Chill out with the Sony fanboyism. (Care for a rootkit?) Did you stop to consider that he writes for the New York Times and maybe they wanted a review out of him? I really don't think a professional writer/reviewer sat out in the cold morning to get the first one in stores.

Please read what he had to say about integration - I really don't think that Microsoft fixed up a crappy box after its release - it must have come out of box that way. He was really addressing software, not hardware. Reading that article, I take from it that Sony spent all their time making the Fastest Gaming System, but forgot to see if it's actually 'cool' or can be used well. It looks like M$ spent a lot more time focusing on the user, rather than on pure specs. Basically, it's like the difference between a Mac Pro and an Alienware box.

It looks like the food chain is now:
Wii -> 360 -> PS3 (in order of best to worst)

Honestly, based on the price and lunacy surrounding the PS3, I really want no part of it - the Wii seems like a damn cool device that I'd /want/ to play with.

hey buddy, when i say in my first line that what i'm going to say might be bias means that for that post my opinions are siding with sony. But when everyday there are more ppl still buying the ps2 then the 360 you can't honestly say that microsoft is doing something right.

to sum it up even further then ps3 is the console for the person who wants to be able to watch his blue ray dvds, on his hd television, and play the best looking and most graphically demanding video games out there. The wii is for the person who likes to play video games but dosn't have the time to play everyday and dosn't have the money to buy the ps3. The 360 on the other hand is for the person who thinks microsoft is a god.

1. wii
1. ps3
dead last. 360

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2006 19:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea about consoles -- the only one I particularly like is the N64, but I tend to go for DOS and Acorn MOS for games. But Sony ... dear Sony ... There is no doubt that they've helped the tech world, but the rootkit episode has done it for me with Sony. And not just the decision in the first place but how they consistently refused to accept any blame or apologise, and created more problems when offering a removal system (using an ActiveX object that opens your PC to outside control by anyone, way to go).

There's sensible defence of your intellectual property, and then there's putting rootkits onto the PCs of all your customers.

The little part that I just don't get: given all the class action lawsuits and bad press and hate that it got them, how did they ever believe they'd get away with it? Were they -- or, really, the company that wrote it for them (company execs don't ever have a clue) -- really that naive that they thought that they were onto something new, and that no-one had ever tried it before, and no-one had ever written anti-rootkit software?

I guess one really pathetic company in the UK managed to sell a useless and illegal idea to a bunch of clueless but grasping Sony execs who thought it would be wonderful.

IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 07:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gamers? your all gay
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 09:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
to sum it up even further then ps3 is the console for the person who wants to be able to watch his blue ray dvds, on his hd television, and play the best looking and most graphically demanding video games out there. The wii is for the person who likes to play video games but dosn't have the time to play everyday and dosn't have the money to buy the ps3. The 360 on the other hand is for the person who thinks microsoft is a god.

How the fsck is the frequency in which you play videogames relevant to which console you buy?

It sounds to me like you're either repeating something someone else said, or your age is showing. Maybe both.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 09:39      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no love for Sony...

DRM, RootKits, expolding batteries, properitary lock-in formats, overprices tickle-me-elmo game stations.

I'm praying for HD-DVD to win the battle on the disk front. I don't see why someone would pay the price of a PS3, when they could buy a 360, a Wii and have money left over. I don't get buying hyped up game systems when there are ever more games (including free ones) for PC.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 10:01      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Ahem*Would someone please think of the childern*Ahem* Please, exsuse the rant... But I have to... It's just such a stupid thing.

Yes Jace If you read my post you could see that i see the wii as a gaming console. But from what i've heard so far about the wii is that you can use the wii's controler to kill, shoot, stab, etc with it.

I grew up shooting natzis and mutants. I grew up swinging my sowrd and killing rock-lops. I grew up stamping on Gumbas and kicking Dr. Robotniks butt. I have never so much as been in a real fist fight, and would never kill another human being unless the lives of a loved one was in danger (note, I probably wouldn't even kill to protect my own life). Children know there is a difference between reality, and games and catoons. You don't see may seven year olds dropping anvils or handing dinamite on/to people. but, wait... lets all stop and "THINK OF THE CHILDREN"

Columbine, they used ID Games' doom to "train." Clearly they romantized about how cool the shoot-'em-up scene in The Matrix was.
Clearly any child who plays this violent game and watches this violent movie will grow up to kill and maim the general public. So, please, "THINK OF THE CHILDREN". :rollseyes:

Typically nintento has aimed there consoles at the younger age groups and most of the ppl who buy nintendo products fit that age category.

Nintendo also hides a lot of violence behind overblown explossions to avoid blood and guts. Nintendo brought us such violent games as:
- Mario Brothers
- Mario Cart
- Legend of Zelda
- Donky Kong
- Duck Hunt ... where you *GASK* shoot a real light gun at the screen.

Games don't kill people. Most gammers, no matter how young they start, don't kill people... PEOPLE kill people.

Columbine was a tragedy, but I'm 100% convinced that they would have commited that horrible act no matter if they'd seen the Matrix or not, and if they had played Doom or not.

So as a parent would you allow your kids to play a console which has the potential for them to be able to replicate violent behavior.
I'm not a parent, and it'll be a year or five before I am one... But I won't have any problem with my child playing the classics I grew up on...

Why Sony make it's batteries?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 24, 2006 14:24      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GameMaster ________ if you would care to look at some of the old topics about video game violence you can clearly see that i don't think video games lead to the deaths of people. I just think that there might be some backlash from protective parents. And yes if i had kids i would allow them to play the classics but not any of the violent games of today.

--------------------

Ernesto524
Newbie Larva
Member # 6200

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 12:55      Profile for Ernesto524     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well based on power the order is PS3 > xbox360 > Wii

But overall the Wii wins hands down based on it's games and fun factor.The wii is the only system that I see having any games that are actually worth playing. If you look at picture quality of the games on all 3 systems they look very similar. We wont see the true difference untill later on. Second I think is the PS3 just because the xbox360 has been out for a while and it still has no good games that cant be found on a PC and because sony still has great franchises like FF, Metal Gear and so on.

Posts: 5 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 18:11      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Heck, I wouldn't be suprised if you gave your kid a boken after about 40 hours of Wii time and he didn't go running around town with other kids having massive samurai wars, dynasty style.

Ah ha! You've uncovered Nintendo's secret plans to bring back the bakufu!
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2006 19:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Heck, I wouldn't be suprised if you gave your kid a boken after about 40 hours of Wii time and he didn't go running around town with other kids having massive samurai wars, dynasty style.

Nah, give your kid a shinai. Less chance of breaking a bone and the welts look way better.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 14:06      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
quote:

Ah ha! You've uncovered Nintendo's secret plans to bring back the bakufu!
Exactly! With Nintendo as the Shogun!
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2006 17:09      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
gamers? your all gay

Hey, some of us are bi you biggot.

I've missed you guys.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2006 09:02      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
gamers? your all gay

Hey, some of us are bi you biggot.

I've missed you guys.

-polar?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture