homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Amusing time waster (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Amusing time waster
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 06:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Figure out how to get from the first page to the last:

http://n.nfshost.com

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 06:58      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This looks very much like a bare-bones version of Notpr0n [Smile] Ahh notpr0n, I got up to the last 3 levels and then gave up... and when I finally got the enthusiasm to continue they had changed all the passwords- doh!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 08:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Figure out how to get from the first page to the last:

http://n.nfshost.com

Aww...you killed the fun by even suggesting what you're supposed to do. [Wink]

I saw that months ago, and a colleague of mine and I spent quite a bit of time trying to get somewhere past ~16.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 11:36      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blast, stuck at 13. Oh, well, enough slacking off. Got to get some real work done...

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1758 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 13:57      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thirteen I got lucky on. Now I'm stuck trying to get to the fifteenth page. Oh well...
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 14:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finished it (30 pages...woo) with help from a couple of co-workers who were playing with it too. I think if you put the time each of us spent on it together, we probably wasted at least eight hours of company time today [blush]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 14:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I finished it (30 pages...woo) with help from a couple of co-workers who were playing with it too. I think if you put the time each of us spent on it together, we probably wasted at least eight hours of company time today [blush]

Only 8?! [Wink]
(Then again, I get the impression you work amongst a pretty sharp crowd. [And you're certainly not the dullest tool in the shed]. =P)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 22, 2006 16:06      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose that makes me the dullest tool in the shed then... I still can't figure it out past the third page.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 18:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like this better. [Wink]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2006 21:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

I am /not/ going to click that. I don't know if I'm the one who introduced you to that (as well as all of GC), or if someone else gave you that, but fun as it is, it can waste /way/ too much time. These days, I only play it when I'm stressed out, on a big projector (just for grins).

--------------------

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 04:49      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That was one of those links that I conviently fogot/lost. I can't believe you just brought that back into my life.

Any chances for productivity today have been lost. [weep]

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 06:33      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:

That was one of those links that I conviently fogot/lost. I can't believe you just brought that back into my life.

Thinking it would end when The circle didn't have enough room to add more blue circles i spent the afternoon solving 1-10. And then eleven came along and the circles started to overlap.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 07:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

I am /not/ going to click that. I don't know if I'm the one who introduced you to that (as well as all of GC), or if someone else gave you that, but fun as it is, it can waste /way/ too much time. These days, I only play it when I'm stressed out, on a big projector (just for grins).
You gave it to me. [Razz]

Ashitaka: I've made it to 12 and then the guilt got to me and I had to get on with things.

Jace: Anything for you. [Razz] [evil]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 07:48      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another time waster:

Grow Cube

Its lots of fun, and the animations are so cute! [crazy]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 11 posted September 23, 2006 09:48            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh crap, that's evil!
IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 10:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:

Thinking it would end when The circle didn't have enough room to add more blue circles i spent the afternoon solving 1-10. And then eleven came along and the circles started to overlap.
Wimp. [Wink]
/me has gotten to level 14 (_large_ pic), but while I could have gone further, I just didn't have the time to kill.

A colleague and I found out a good test of a computer's processor speed...

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!

We told Planarity to jump to level 100. My machine choked, and after I told Firefox to "Continue" the unresponsive script, I ultimately had to kill its process. My colleague's new dual Core Duo machine finally managed to render it, but it took quite awhile. It basically rendered as one black circle, and while one could move a node, it took some time to handle the vector math, and dragging took awhile.

Mind you...I just got a good idea. I've been meaning to find a good benchmark for a new¹ toy² I've got my hands on³... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 10:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks suspiciously like my boss's cheese grater...

Just outta curiousity, did you spend that entire 85 minutes on that level or did you take a frustration break at some point?

--------------------
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 11:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That looks suspiciously like my boss's cheese grater...

Just outta curiousity, did you spend that entire 85 minutes on that level or did you take a frustration break at some point?

I took a bunch of them, IIRC. Back when I was playing, I'd sometimes fail to hit Pause, and would just walk away...and also play of the course of a few days... complete a level and then sleep, work, come back the next day.

P.S. I believe you might be unaware of what that particular box is. More Mac-interested folks will probably drool, though. [Wink]

--------------------

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 11:27      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We told Planarity to jump to level 100.

Yeah, I had a go at that, but to level 50. You can see the results here.

And yes dman... I'm drooling.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 11:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, I have some guesses and I am sure that it's newer and spiffier than my boss's year-old dual G5 (you should see that thing ray trace!). It just looks similar, that's all.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 14:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
C'mon dman, the semblance to a cheese grater is hardly new :) Very odd looking machine, the G5, although I think I prefer it to the G3/G4 towers which looked more like toys. Then again, I am quite happily settled with a yellowing beige case where the mouse has carved up areas of paint off the top :) (Though I should do something about that) And with a floppy disk poking out of A drive.

First time I've seen RAM with heatsinks though...

IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 23, 2006 15:24      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<choking with rage and suppressed technoenvy>
Dragonman I couldn't possibly make any comment on your new machine, otherwise it might appear that you were showing off, and we wouldn't want that would we?
</choking with rage and suppressed technoenvy> [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 15:45      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mind you...I just got a good idea. I've been meaning to find a good benchmark for a new¹ toy² I've got my hands on³... [Big Grin]

Damn! That's purty...real purty!

And just how much RAM are we looking at there? I think I could have a guess... but I just want to hear you say it. [crazy]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 16:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:
A colleague and I found out a good test of a computer's processor speed...

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!

We told Planarity to jump to level 100.

So of course, that's the first thing I did [Smile]

Opera only took 90 seconds or so to render it. Selecting and moving a node was painfully slow which makes it unplayable.

100 nodes

For grins, I downloaded the SWF (you never know when you won't have an internet connection and have an urge to play these things), ran it locally, maximized the window and clicked shuffle vertices (large image).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2006 17:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uill: Of course it looks like a cheese grater. However, my point was that I was quite certain that Xanthine's had her head buried in crystallography and other things, and is probably unaware of the fact that Apple released a Mac Pro, which is quad-core Intel Xeon box. That is to say, it's nothing like her boss' G5. [Wink] (And the obvious physical difference is the second optical drive bay.) Mac junkies are aware of this, and would commence drooling. [Razz]

Grum: Actually, you're looking at a measly gig of RAM. Each card has 4 slots, and there are 2 cards. This box is a 2.66 GHz Quad-core Xeon, with 2 GB of RAM, a 250 GB HD, and a dual-layer SuperDrive.

I must say, the internal design is a *major* improvement over the G5. I took some pictures of a disassembled G5 once, and I'll have to dig them up - the processor units are /huge because of the cooling components. One G5 processor with heatsink & fan is bigger than the entire Xeon section of the Mac Pro. Well done, Apple! (It even got compliments from a rather anti-Apple colleague of mine [who loved to knock the bad internals of the G5.])

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture