homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Free domain and hosting?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Free domain and hosting?
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 09:33      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://officelive.microsoft.com/

So Microsoft are now offering a free domain and hosting package, seemingly completely free...

There HAS to be a catch somewhere!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 11:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to it being M$-related and in general bad, I have read factual statements that it is unreliable. Do you really want to entrust your business e-mail to M$?! Windows Live mail is said to suck from what I've heard. A friend of mine converted his Hotmail account to it, and isn't pleased with it.

I can't imagine that you pay terribly much for your setup...stick with it. [Smile] (Hosting is pretty cheap these days, it seems...and so are domains.)

Aside: Can anyone recommend a cheap domain registrar to me, other than GoDaddy? I want to acquire a few domains *without hosting*, and GoDaddy has not being doing well in the court of public opinion these days.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9341 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 12:43            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or is there something a bit pathetic about expecting people to host you for free? Something about that says "leeching scum" to me. (Probably, the same people hate advertising on the Net)

Now, it has to be said, there is one advantage, your site will remain around for nearly forever. Though with the standard quality of Angelfire/Geocities sites I am not so sure that such longevity is actually beneficial to anyone.

IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 13:32      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Now, it has to be said, there is one advantage, your site will remain around for nearly forever. Though with the standard quality of Angelfire/Geocities sites I am not so sure that such longevity is actually beneficial to anyone.

lol! I'm sure in a few years time, these people will look back and some of their horrific creations and cringe.

Ashamed? They should be!

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 17:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, all anti-M$ bigotry aside, I think it's a pretty good offer.

They give you a free domain name, web hosting with generous storage and bandwidth allowance, no ads on your web page, and small, unobtrusive ads on the email page.

I've just registered personal name domains for the druidlings, not that they're interested now, but in 5-10 years when they want one, all the personal named domains will be gone.

And all I had to do was sign a little agreement in blood, something about my immoral soul...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10699 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2006 17:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
something about my immoral soul...

I'm not sure if that's a typo or if you're just clever, but I like it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 02:23      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Windows Live mail is said to suck from what I've heard. A friend of mine converted his Hotmail account to it, and isn't pleased with it.

I second that, I made the mistake have trying live mail, it has to be the worst email service I have ever had, luckily I am with Gmail, whom I am very pleased to be with, the only alright part about windows live is the messenger, but that still is a bit samee...
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 07:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Aside: Can anyone recommend a cheap domain registrar to me, other than GoDaddy? I want to acquire a few domains *without hosting*, and GoDaddy has not being doing well in the court of public opinion these days.

We couldn't find a decent registrar ourselves, so we went with the 'reseller with tucows' route. If we get enough domains, we'll actually register to become a real registrar, but that's not exactly our main business.

That being said, count me in as another one who would strongly advise against using godaddy.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 15:02      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Well, all anti-M$ bigotry aside, I think it's a pretty good offer.

They give you a free domain name, web hosting with generous storage and bandwidth allowance, no ads on your web page, and small, unobtrusive ads on the email page.

I've just registered personal name domains for the druidlings, not that they're interested now, but in 5-10 years when they want one, all the personal named domains will be gone.

And all I had to do was sign a little agreement in blood, something about my immoral soul...

Are you referring to the .name TLD?
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 15:13      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
Are you referring to the .name TLD?

No, I registered a couple of .net domains with the druidlings names (eg JohnSmith.net). Neither name is particularly uncommon, so I was quite surprised to find that they hadn't been claimed yet. With free domains now on offer, I expect all the common names to be gone very quickly.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10699 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 20:26      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tried it, www.sataniclemon.com

i can't change *anything* on that default page

sure, i can add to it, but i can't remove the entire page and build from what *I* want

there is NO ftp service, you cannot edit index.html

imo, fucking worthless

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture