homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Meanwhile, back in Penny Lane

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Meanwhile, back in Penny Lane
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 02:38      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an interesting story in the Gruniad about some Liverpudlians wanting to change the name of the street "Penny Lane", that the Beatles wrote a song about. They want to rename streets that are named after slave traders, apparently one of which was James Penny.

I was wondering what you people thought about that? My view is that it is a reminder from history of the wrongs of our fathers: Those that forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

I don't think it really matters whether the beatles wrote about it or not, I would still object to changing the name of a road. Even the rude ones (possibly NSFW - rude street names).

And it will confuse postmen.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 16:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I would rename it. I'm sure it is a tourist attraction for people who know nothing of the real reason for the name. Also history is history. Sanitizing it doesn't take things away.
Also on a practical point, we renamed a street after a newer famous son here. No one locally calls it that. We all admire Mr. Sullivan's accomplishments, but the other name has a 100 plus year stronghold on our memories when giving directions, which are now wrong when we give them.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 16:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about renaming it after another Mr. (or Mrs.) Penny? Or after the money denomination? This way, it would still be Penny Lane! I'm sure it could be done with a lot of other names, too.

(Oh, and as an aside, there was major city amalgamations in Quebec a couple of years ago, and that required street names change to eliminate duplicates. Postal service did just fine.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 16:50      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
(Oh, and as an aside, there was major city amalgamations in Quebec a couple of years ago, and that required street names change to eliminate duplicates. Postal service did just fine.)

You can only have so many Rue Tabarnacle before it's just being silly. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 18:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man...so many highways in NY have been named...I rarely recall what they're actually named. I'm a numbers guy... not really into names. The only ones I remember are the FDR, Van Wyck, and the Deegan. If the first has a number, I don' t know it, but the latter two are 678 & 87, which I'd just assume use, if not for other people not knowing them that way. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 18:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big fan of historical revisionism, I think it's better to learn from the errors of the past than try to sweep them under the carpet.

Imagine if the US tried to erase slavers from their place-names, there's a lot of Washington and Jefferson streets that would have to go...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2006 00:26      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see the argument for changing the names of the streets.

If the street was named after slavery then for the negros that is a memory they would rather forget, I know it is nearly impossible to forget that your family used to be a part of slavery, but to be reminded of it every time you walk past a sign post Im sure that gives good ground for an argument.

And with the anti-racist society we live in today, things like this are taken very seriously so it does'nt suprise me they are doing this.

p.s - I love that Gropecunt wiki page!

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2006 17:54      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the Druid on this one.

And changing the name of Penny Lane won't change the name of the tune -- so the dude lives on anyway.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2006 16:23      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
I'm with the Druid on this one.

And changing the name of Penny Lane won't change the name of the tune -- so the dude lives on anyway.

CP

Not to mention the hordes of aimless, disgruntled tourists that would be created by a name change like that. You wouldn't want to crush the dreams of some poor Beatles fan who trekked all the way to Liverpool to see the famous street, now would you? (Come on, think of the children! [Wink] )

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture