homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » i want to be a computer geek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i want to be a computer geek
hang loose everybody
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5369

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted July 09, 2006 19:41      Profile for hang loose everybody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to be a computer geek but cant i need help i dont know anything about computers help please i need to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1 | From: 1674 sterling ave. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 19:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lesson 1: Using repeated exclamation points makes you look like either an idiot or a troll. Regardless, it will typically result in little more than a few abusive responses.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2006 20:10      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to be... a computer geek!

I'm a computer geek, and I'm okay.
I work all night. I sleep all day.

Mounties : He's a computer geek, and he's okay. He works all night and he sleeps all day.

I fix harddrives. I replace their mice.
I'm an omniscient bee.
On Wednesdays I fix networks,
And teach morons PHP.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 03:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But do you put on women's clothing and hang around in bars?

(of course, the answer to the first part is pretty obvious)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 05:03      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hang loose everybody

You need to work on your grasp of grammar and sentence structure (or maybe it is just your typing) before moving on to anything more complex IMO...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 05:16      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I code and code and code and code
in pascal, perl and C.
I wish I'd been a girly,
Just like my dear Pappy!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 06:15      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a computer geek isn't something you need to work for. It just kind of happens [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 06:26      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i dont know anything about computers
there's your first problem. First learn as much about computers as you can. If you honestly know nothing i would advice watching shows like Call for Help, Dotto Tech, Attack of the Show, Click, etc they are good shows to watch for ppl wanting to learn about computers but know nothing (its like a baby taking its first step). Also hang around these forums for awhile you might learn something.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 06:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
Also hang around these forums for awhile you might learn something.

[comment class='uilleann']Actually, no you probably won't. Read /., with the comments, and a few listserves, even. Read some books on using computers, OSes, and applications, and then consider a low-level job in IT if you really want exposure. This place has many well established geeks who have no desire to talk tech frequently. [Razz] [/comment]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9340 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 07:06      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother even seeking advice on how to be a "computer geek" isnt that fairly obvious?

How do you learn anything...

I would start by taking adive from the comments ^, then get yourself some acne and take control of the world via computers...

soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 11:48      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Get a computer.
2. Stay up all night playing with it.
3. Once you've broken it, fix it. (That's important! You'll never be a computer geek if you can't do this.)

Also, being able to turn Monty Python songs in to computer related dittys does helps [Smile]

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 12:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh.

Read manuals. That's good. No, seriously. And anyone who is even ever vaguely THINKING about using PHP at any time ever please do us a favour and read the jolly old manual first will ya? k thx.

But no, I jest not, I started with an 8-bit machine and read the manual. Very informative. Then when I got a disc interface fitted, read that manual too. This was back when the disk filing system manual explained tracks and sectors with diagrams and, if you were lucky and got a Viglen DFS, explained what every byte of the file system was for in the appendix. (Down to where spare bytes were split three ways to lengthen other fields by a few bits, say, 8 to 10 bits)

But I think that being a computer geek is not a decision you make one day when you get up in the morning. "What shall I do today? Oh I know, I'll be a computer geek." If you really have to ask how, then I think it's already too late, since it's not a decision you make but a fundamental aspect of your natural mindset, to question things, to examine, read up, experiment and explore that you do without even an awareness of it.

Of course, you have be aware of computers first, and for me that was through friends' Amigas when I was a kid. And to be fair, all I wanted mine for was to play games, but, hum, I don't have any with it, only some crappy Welcome cassette. But it says here in the manual I can make it do stuff ... oooooo. So yes, we may still need a little push, a little pull, but the desire has to come from the inside of your mind, especially as how no machines now start out quite such a blank slate ready to start creating. Also, home computers that ship with manuals like that simply don't exist any more! Not that they really could, in fairness ... You'd need a whole crate of manuals!

IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 12:23      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1. Get a computer.
3. Once you've broken it, fix it. (That's important! You'll never be a computer geek if you can't do this.)

And by fix it, he dosn't mean run to the nearest forum and beg for help, or search the web frantically for a solution. when something is broken consider spending some serious time trying to fix it and if you are at a dead end then you can come to the forums or someone for some advice.
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 12:53      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I consider being a computer geek having that inner ambition to learn.

The best thing about the Interwebby is the fact that it promotes the freedom of information ("exclude: china"); if you have the will to learn you can learn just about everything you want from the internet. Computers are our gateway to information.

Never before in history has there been a massively excepted standard to present and display information as has been introduced via the internet. Me, being a 20 yo kid enlisted in the American Military, doing what I do best has me put into a situation where information is of a must and wether you're a 65 yo Scandanavian Programmer or a 12 yo Japanesse Blogger, I may have something to learn from you.

However, as Stevenback7 Said, if you can't help yourself, dont expect me to help you.

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 13:27      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE] i would advice watching shows like Call for Help, Dotto Tech, Attack of the Show, Click, etc they are good shows to watch for ppl wanting to learn about computers but know nothing (its like a baby taking its first step)

About two years ago I would have given the same advice but lets face it, TechTV is dead, G4 ruined it and their shows just don't seem as useful as The Screen Savers used to be (also Call for Help IIRC is only in Canada now). Buy some books, mess around with computers, learn a language. There is no proces to become a geek you do it in your own way. Geek is simply the name others give us.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 14:02      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by soulshine:
1. Get a computer.

Also, being able to turn Monty Python songs in to computer related dittys does helps [Smile]

You know you're really a geek when you deliberately break something so you can fix it later [Wink]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 14:15      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only prerequisites are to get your weight past the 350lb mark and stop showering, everything else is entirely up to you [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2006 16:21      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[QUOTE] i would advice watching shows like Call for Help, Dotto Tech, Attack of the Show, Click, etc they are good shows to watch for ppl wanting to learn about computers but know nothing (its like a baby taking its first step)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About two years ago I would have given the same advice but lets face it, TechTV is dead, G4 ruined it and their shows just don't seem as useful as The Screen Savers used to be (also Call for Help IIRC is only in Canada now). Buy some books, mess around with computers, learn a language. There is no proces to become a geek you do it in your own way. Geek is simply the name others give us.

Alfrin I agree 100 % with you, The screen Savers used to be something usefull but now it has just become crap and most of the stuff they talk about isn't even computer related, and most of the other shows have just droped down in quality. But i recomended watching these shows because it will give Hang Loose Evereybody a chance to see if he is realy interested in working with computers and technology without spending even that couple of bucks for a manual or wasting precious time trying to learn an art he will never master.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 10:27      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada still has decent techTV. sigh.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture