homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » In case you aren't depressed enough (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: In case you aren't depressed enough
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 17:13      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
June 11, 2006 12:36
A few years back I had the privilege of going to a coachs lunchen at a Big Ten school. This event was for alumni and fans of this school. The Cigars and pate were of the highest quality, The impression I got was when the coach invited you into the receiving room and line that it was what can you bring to the alumni fund to help our athletic programs, and I do mean cash.

Let's analyze this:

1. (edited) "when the coach invited you, it was what can you bring to the alumni fund ... and I do mean cash."
    Implies: The Big Ten school expects to get several thousand dollars from each guest.

2. "The Cigars and pate were of the highest quality"
    Implies: The Big Ten school gives away "free" cigars and pate.

Conclusion: This is not a free luncheon. Money is being taken on an exchange of goods.

quote:
June 12, 2006 18:35
It is time for the pendulum to swing hard left again.

[shake head]   The vast majority of Americans are neither Radical Left nor Radical Right. You support an extreme minority over a useful middle-ground for the majority, so how is that different from a regime?

FYI: Democrat poop stinks also, so don't be so quick to praise them as the perfect solution.
quote:
Louisiana Democratic Rep. William J. Jefferson is under investigation in a case involving allegations of bribery. Authorities say they had videotaped Jefferson last summer taking $100,000 in bribe money and that agents had found $90,000 of that cash stuffed in a freezer in his Washington apartment.

(editor's remark) Mark Twain's observation: "It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress."

quote:
June 12, 2006 18:35
After 8 years of the Clinton Presidency, and the greatest period of prosperity our nation has known....

Are you talking about the same guy who treated the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center as a local issue instead of International Terrorism? Apparently he didn't understand that foreign terrorist organizations had declared war on the US at least half a dozen times during his administration. He had one or more chances to get bin Laden without US military force, but he declined. Yeah ... he saved some money.   [shake head]

quote:
(edited) ... can't afford health insurance.
During a hospital stay, one tablet of Aspirin can cost $20 (or more). Medicare basically has a policy of "we pay anything the doctors want us to pay," so the result of government subsidized medicine (Medicare) has been healthcare that no individual can afford.

quote:
(edited) Inflation
Cheap gas for more than a decade has been the result of political price-fixing. Now that US gas prices are acting more like world gas prices, it's a shock to the economy.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 17:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agents had found $90,000 of that cash stuffed in a freezer in his Washington apartment.

Cold cash (haha, I slay me)... as opposed to what? Hot, buttered cash? With two eggs any style and a side of bacon?

Does anyone have any idea where the phrase "cold cash" comes from? I'm actually curious.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 19:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Cold cash (haha, I slay me)... as opposed to what? Hot, buttered cash? With two eggs any style and a side of bacon?

cash, bacon, spam and eggs
bacon, spam, eggs and spam
spam, spam, bacon, cash and spam.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 06:48      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anybody actually likes paying taxes and I think that most people agree that taxing the poor is no help to their condition, but the flaw I find with current economic policy is that the "tax and spend Democrat" has been replaced with the "don't tax and spend even more Republican." It's quite odd because fiscal conservatism is based on reducing the federal budget as justification for a reduced tax burden.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 07:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
I don't think anybody actually likes paying taxes (...)

I have no problem come April. I have received much from other's people taxes - free schooling up to the 12th year, close to free for the next two, and way under the real cost for my failed attempt at mechanical engineering and successful one at computer science (and still now, as I am working on a Master degree and will receive a grant). Free medical services (for what I have used), free dentist and optometrist services up to 12-16 years old and such. It is now fitting that I pay back with a part of the salary I make, thanks to all that. Sure, like pretty much everyone else, I feel I never have enough money. But I'd rather make more than pay less. This is the society I chose (or more precisely, I choose to stay in), so I am willing to pay the "price tag" that comes with it.

At some point, if my good fortune continues, I expect to make an extra gift to my governement, probably with a request to use it on long-term development projects, or education (OK, it's pretty much the same). This will be my "thank you" note to the generous people that make up my country.

(Plus, I feel better at night, knowing that even if we're not perfect and some people still fall through cracks, at least we try, and we are willing to improve.)

So you could change that "anybody" for "many people"; it would be more exact.

(Somewhat related: Rich Canadians more likely to avoid sales taxes, study says )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 10:30      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideally, taxes should be seen as a patriotic duty to support investment in one's country. After all, if the country goes broke no one benefits (except deficit economists). The strange anti-tax stance the right has taken probably represents more of a marketing move than anything. After all, it's very very very hard to campaign against someone who's claiming "I'll lower your taxes" without proving beyond a doubt that something else will get raised instead (i.e., fees, etc). The tax cuts and tax break promises are a smoke and mirrors illusion. Eventually nothing will remain to cut (and the lower classes won't be able to shoulder the increases to make up for it soon). It has to stop somewhere. But in the end, we should be happy to pay our fair share of taxes (key words: FAIR SHARE), as an investment in our country. But, of course, we all know those tax dollars probably go to pork barrels rather than to programs to improve society. That's the rapala hook catch.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 14:42      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A similar topic was on these boards a few years ago, and someone mentioned tax as membership fees for society. I like that idea.

And I figure, the rich should pay more taxes because they gain more from society. Their kids get better funded educations (which entails better classroom and technological resources, as well as more expreinced staff), their roads are better paved, they can afford better quality food (milk and orange juice are more expensive than coca-cola) they have more opportunity to travel, and, on account that they probably don't work two jobs, more free time. Also, better health care. Their houses are bigger, they simply have more space, a larger portion of the ocuntry, physically.

And I don't think that the rich are any more productive than the poor. I don't like judging someone's worth or productivity on the money that that person makes. That sort of a system puts investment bankers as more neccessary to society than nurses, which doesn't seem right.

Everyone is worthwhile to society. As Captain Janeway would point out, you have to give them opportunity and resources.

Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 15:59      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
But, of course, we all know those tax dollars probably go to pork barrels rather than to programs to improve society. That's the rapala hook catch.

I figure paying taxes is a bit like giving money to homeless people. I know most of the money is probably wasted, but there's always the chance it will go right where it's needed.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 16:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
I don't think anybody actually likes paying taxes (...)

I have no problem come April. I have received much from other's people taxes - free schooling up to the 12th year...
I quite agree.

The aussie taxpayer paid my fare to come to Australia 40 years ago, they paid for my schooling, and my University education, they even paid a (grossly inadequate) living allowance while I was at uni. When I had eye problems, they paid for the operations to fix them, and when I was out of work they paid to put food on my table.

Now that I'm working, I pay buckets of tax, and I'm happy to pay, because I wouldn't have any of it if the taxpayer hadn't invested in my future.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 16:36      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:

If I work my whole life saving for my children to have a better life, why should the government tax my children (when I've already paid the damn tax on it once) be penalized for my death?

So basically if someone is rich enough to leave enough money to their kids so that they don't have to work a day in their lives you are ok with that. What about the cycle of dependency that welfare brings.

Why is it ok for those kids who are lucky enough to be born in a wealthy family to not have to work a day in their lives? They are basically getting a meal ticket for life.

Why do conservatives cry foul when some poor girl needs help who is 21 with a kid and no husband because he's a deadbeat? She needs help to be able to stand on her own two feet so she can make a life.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture