homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » This game is strange

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This game is strange
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 15:06      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deception

I'm not really sure what to make of it.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 5 posted May 15, 2006 15:40            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Send e-mail to "[email protected]" ...? I am not sure how that'd work. Also, fsck finds 14 bad sectors and fixes three every time you run it. So where are the fresh bad sectors coming from while I'm trying to repair his drive? (Not that MS-DOS has fsck anyway, or permissions. I think they were aiming for scandisk or chkdsk.)

Oh well, the command line won't work any more. Firef*ck opens the find bar when I try to type now, grr.

IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 15:53      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
Send e-mail to "[email protected]" ...? I am not sure how that'd work. Also, fsck finds 14 bad sectors and fixes three every time you run it. So where are the fresh bad sectors coming from while I'm trying to repair his drive? (Not that MS-DOS has fsck anyway, or permissions. I think they were aiming for scandisk or chkdsk.)

Oh well, the command line won't work any more. Firef*ck opens the find bar when I try to type now, grr.

no idead WHAT that was about^^^^

Anyways, I don't know why you said that was a game. Absolutely nothing happened.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 15:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm? I opened the link, and got a page with a photograph with links overlaid, but no idea what I was meant to be looking at. In the middle was the word "Deception" in red, which I found could be clicked (the cursor had not been changing to a hand over it) and did so, and the game appeared to proceed.

The rest will become clear once you try it. It's actually a proprietary "CIVDOS" which wants to be an IRC client [Smile] All commands in all programs are preceded with a slash. I guess that's why it has both a C prompt and fsck.

And I presume you do know the difference between fsck as in fuck, and fsck as in file system check? I will forgive you for being too young to remember scandisk though [Smile]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 16:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a game.

The part where you can't type any more is probably due to losing the focus on the entry field in the page. Typeing / brings up a find dialog in Opera when I click out of the invisible entry box, so I would guess Firefox is doing something along the same lines. Click around just after the fake command prompt until it gives you a text cursor, then you should be able to type.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 18:11      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the part where 'elvis' is typing the message to you took too long. I got bored.

If there was a way to speed up the rate at which his 'text' appeared on the screen, maybe i'd give it another shot.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 18:24            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, yeah that was dumb. And hey, how comes he never made any typing mistakes and have to correct himself?
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 19:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good lord, "numa numa" is a valid command and has the results you'd expect.

I am such a sucker for this kind of thing. At least it's not a leaky water faucet dripping out a message in morse code which, when decoded, turns out to have also been encrypted with an enigma cypher.

/me beats his head on the wall just remembering that one and goes to bed, but only after bookmarking the site.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 19:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
numa numa? hahaha ... That added to the sex guide, I'm beginning to wonder about you :>
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 19:31      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann: Some of are just that good at typing. [Big Grin]

For those of you who think the site is weird, I've spent hours trying to figure out much weirder things.

Hmm, was that a confession? [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 20:53            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, that reminds me... ICQ chat rooms. Has anyone else ever used those? There's a setting whereby you can view what the other person is typing while they're typing it, and if neither of you can type, then it's so funny. Obviously, you can guess what they're saying before they're done, so you can be banging out completely mistyped text in reply to misreading their completely mistyped text, and watch each other trying to correct all the mistakes. Or worse, if there are three of you or more :)

After going from Mac ICQ to Windows/gaim maybe two years ago, I've not had the pleasure of this activity :) Certainly, our typing didn't look like that Elvis fellow.

Actually, I did try using the Firef*ck JavaScript Console, which, while it can investigate and report on CSS errors and check up on my bank balance, it won't let me adjust any JavaScript page variables, such as the one that governs Elvis's "typing" speed. Instead I had to just look up the filename of the next page in sequence and feed it to the address bar. (Heck, view source and you can read Elvis's text straight off ;)

This was of course so that I could see what "numa numa" would do :)

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 01:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me pokes in her head to ruminate

What's Google-analytical? I've never heard of it. And what's up with urchin?

/me wanders off to Google...

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 09:57      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grrrrr help me , I dont understand computer commands !
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 12 posted May 16, 2006 10:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a "thorned zero fortress" anyway?

The commands used in CIVDOS are not taken from MS-DOS. The basic thing to remember in CIVDOS and CIV software is that for help, type "/help" or "/?". This should present you with a command list for that program, such as the main command interpreter.

(How I figured this out I have no idea, I can't see why the fuck they can't use MS-DOS commands if they're using what appears to be DOS -- what else has a C prompt? After all, the first thing I typed was "dir" -- to see what's on the machine.)

The other thing that cheeses me off is that it has no command history :-P Pressing up arrow does not recall previous commands I typed. With no "dir" command I can't figure out how to load DOSKEY into its start-up config and reboot. I'd have to see what commands are available in the binary directory. Nor does it seem to have any shell built-ins [Razz]

[/sad, sad nerd]

Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 20:03      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you said meant nothing to me.
What is a uilleann ?

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2006 20:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, we need to induct you into Using Really Really Really Old Computers 101 [Razz] (Like, dig out an old Research Machines Nimbus 80186 (yes, unlike most "186" PCs which were really 8086s, the Nimbus was one of the few real PCs with an 80186 CPU)).

I have so little clue where to begin based on your existing level of understanding, however, that I will spare you today's lesson [Smile]

But suffice it to say that before all this "point and drool" stuff with meeces and high resolution graphical displays, computers were operated by typing in lots of arcane and totally immemorable commands. If you're really old, you'll remember before we even got that far, like, punch cards and front panel switches! [Eek!] However that was before my time.

There is only one command that every newbie absolutely MUST RECOGNISE:

format c:

If anyone tells you to type that anywhere, don't. It will erase your hard drive. It's a common, mean-spirited prank to trick unknowing people into typing that.

We'll have to get you into ipconfig, netstat, ping and other goodies another day :>

[------pretend--that--UBB--does--horizontal--rules------]

Last I read, the definition of "uilleann" is unknown! Goodness. It's supposed to be Irish for "elbow" but apparently this is not true after all. uilleann pipes are a bellow-driven type of bagpipes used in Ireland. It's a silly name to choose as it looks overly feminine and I don't even play the instrument. But it's too late now, d'oh.

Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 05:36      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[EDITED]

One thing to understand about most comand line, interpraters, terminals, and DOS Prompts is that you can always figure it out.

There will always be a help command, most of the time if you type something wrong, it will tell you what the help command is. Always try "help, ?" some terminals allow for you to type part of the word, a space, and a question mark and it will list commands that start with what you typed.

Some basic commands

dir -- shows current dir
tree (me thinks) -- shows a directory tree
chdir -- changes a directory
chmod -- change permissions on a file or folder
mkdir -- make a directory
rm -- remove (deloete)

http://www.ss64.com/bash/ -- for linux commands
http://www.bsd.org/unixcmds.html -- for Unix commands
http://www.ucgbook.com/index.php3?page=http%3A//www.ucgbook.com/dos%2520commands.html -- DOS Commands

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 06:15            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace, what shell are you referring to there? dir lists the current directory in COMMAND/cmd, but ls is the *NIX equivalent. (To be fair, I think dir works in *NIX shells too.) To list a directory tree in cmd is tree, I presume it was the same in COMMAND.

chmod for example is *NIX, the nearest thing a DOS PC ever had was attrib. I have no idea what the NTFS equivalent of chmod is, but the net command might offer it. net seems to be a 50-in-1 fix-everything tool for Windows NT that does nothing well and everything badly. (You always know you have to use net to do anything but spend forever trying to find which subcommand to use!)

Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 08:25      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank uil and those are not neccessarily for DOS. Different ones work in different situations. Was just showing some basic commands as examples.
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 12:46      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This game is really making me annoyed. I am completely stuck with over 50 words which I think might have SOME significance somewhere. GAAH!!

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 14:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a look.

It'd be nice if I either knew DOS or if the thing was in Unix. I can get around in Unix. DOS I can't handle without a mouse and nice GUI. :/

Everyone who never expected me to say anything remotely like that raise a hand. [Razz]

I'll try again later. Back to work with me.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 7 posted May 17, 2006 15:22            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DOS ever had a nice GUI? (Other than Windows) I suppose DOS Shell was cute in its own strange little way; I liked how I could run several programs at once (but not concurrently, obviously) with that. And it came with cutesy colour schemes [Smile]
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 16:32      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly doubt it is anything programming intensive- its more like notpron, solving puzzles and piecing clues together.

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture