homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Gameboy, playstation...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gameboy, playstation...
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 06:21      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is more of a question than a news clipping but...

quote:
Sony has defended its decision to offer two versions of its forthcoming PlayStation 3 (PS3) games console.

Senior Sony executive Phil Harrison said the models were aimed at different types of consumers.

The console is due to go on sale in November, with prices starting at $499 in the US and 499 euros (£341) in Europe.

What my question is that how come back in the days of just a Gameboy, or just a Playstation it was the same model for around 5-6 years before the Gameboy Light came out, or even around 8 years (or more??) before the PS2 came out. How come there is so much pressure to spew out new models one after another nowadays? How are we poor folk meant to keep up?

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 08:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if sales are rather disappointing for the PS3 and the XBOX 360. I know I'm not going to spend five hundred dollars on a game console. If the the Nintendo is going to be in that range, none of them will get my money.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 09:11      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nintendo Wii is estimated by industry analysts to sell for $150-$200. The Wii does not support HD, this makes sense being that it is still a small percentage of people that own HD sets. I'm looking forward to getting a Wii the range of games offered appeal to me as an "old school" gamer yet offers some cool new stuff. The Wii should also be interesting for my wife, shes is quadriplegic and the new controller may make gaming easier for her (the Nintento DS has been great for her, especially Animal Crossing which can be played with just the stylus).

Sure some of the games looks amazing on the 360 and PS3, but I'm not willing to drop $500+ for a gaming system!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 09:27      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the sound of things, Nintendo might just clean up. High-end graphics are cool and all, but gameplay really needs to come first. Some of my all-time favorite games were on the Super Nintendo. Here's hoping that the actual system is a lot better than its name.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 10:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
The Nintendo Wii is estimated by industry analysts to sell for $150-$200. The Wii does not support HD, this makes sense being that it is still a small percentage of people that own HD sets. I'm looking forward to getting a Wii the range of games offered appeal to me as an "old school" gamer yet offers some cool new stuff. The Wii should also be interesting for my wife, shes is quadriplegic and the new controller may make gaming easier for her (the Nintento DS has been great for her, especially Animal Crossing which can be played with just the stylus).

Sure some of the games looks amazing on the 360 and PS3, but I'm not willing to drop $500+ for a gaming system!

My sentiments exactly. I think they've gone nuts in this regard.

I own: A PS/2, SNES, XBOX, NES, N64, GC, and Gameboy Advance. You know what gets the most play from me? The SNES and NES.

Best game of all time as far as I'm concerned is FF3 for the SNES, followed by FF9 for the PS1.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 17:49      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a PSP (that I didn't actually have to fork out money for) and I have to say the games selection for it is pretty craptastic. I want to be enthusiastic about the PS3, but if it comes out with as poor a choice of games, what's the point of buying the console, esp. at that price? At the moment I'm more interested in using GTA for the bootloader hack of the PSP firmware & try my hand at some of the homebrew games or do some development of my own.

I do feel like there are some fun games out there for the PS2, but because of regioning stupidity I have to fork over a small fortune in shipping to get new US games via Amazon & such. There should be a way for someone who has changed regions to legitimately change over their console & games without breaking out a soldering iron. [shake head]

Edit/Post Script: Oh, and while I'm whinging, can I complain about the cost of PSP games too? AU$80 for a selection of 20 different driving games or WWF Smackdown? No thank you.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted May 11, 2006 18:33      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i still have my gameboy i bought in 1990 (built in 1989) that still works [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

all i play on it these days is tetris, because there's 3 vertical lines on the right side, and they're just outside of the collums to fill, and i play it while doing laundry

batteries last..... well hell, i don't remember the last time i changed them [thumbsup] [Big Grin]
probably have less than a dozen times since i bought it

that, freinds, is staying power!

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2006 19:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
i still have my gameboy i bought in 1990 (built in 1989) that still works [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

that, freinds, is staying power!

Now why can't you find a car like that?!

*Hey! Don't hit me! SOMEBODY had to say it! [Razz] *

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 06:10      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Best game of all time as far as I'm concerned is FF3 for the SNES, followed by FF9 for the PS1.
Hear Hear, then again for me its FFVII

Only bad thing is now, Square-Enix is stupid and has to make them all into MMORPGs, costing us another arm and a leg.
If Im going to spend 500 bucks, it will be on upgrades to my computer.
When will they learn to do this on a computer. Look at WOW. (Note: Author doesnt play WOW) Its like the most popular MMORPG, and its a COMPUTER GAME!! All the best mmorpgs were on computer. FFXI is on pc, and has no where near the popularity of Diablo II for how old it is, or any of the newer games on computer.

Another thing is, game makers have 4 major things and several more minor ones to make games for. Thats a lotta work. Back when it was just NES, look how many games there were, as there was ONE console. Half the problem with these console makers is they need to sign contracts with the major game producing companies and they might actually get ppl to buy their consoles as they will have games ppl like.

Something also, while good graphics and stuff is good, all these fancy DVD players they are adding on are crap in my book. Theirs no support for them yet, and wont be for several years, atleast till Blockbuster (video rental co.) puts them out and all the other major sellers do too. Ppl like basic dvds, and can get cheep players for 30 bucks or so. So why do I need to drop 700 dollars for one of these new ones. WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO SPEND 700 BUCKS ON A NEW DVD PLAYER??!? (this is suppostly what they will go for when they come out, and one reason why PS3's will be costing so much, as they have this built in.)

Ok I quit ranting now [Smile]

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture