homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Some serious thoughts about the USA's future. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Some serious thoughts about the USA's future.
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted April 26, 2006 06:09      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's done is done at this point. I don't think there is a point to placing blame anymore. Whether Bush lied, was fed misinformation or just flat out didn't care enough to do anything beyond trusting his instincts doesn't matter. What matters is where we go from here. I don't give a rat's a$$ what faith the president identifies with; what concerns me is his seemingly absolute reliance on it.
A neighbor once told my mother:
"Compared to what G-d can do, all your good works are like a pile of dirty rags"

Well why bother even trying then? G-d will save us and we'll all live in a happy utopia. I don't buy it. Even the most devout "good" (by "good" I mean the ones who don't use their faith to push others down or gain political power) christians I know don't believe that they don't need to work hard to get where they are, and while they may credit G-d for giving them the strength to persevere, they don't just wait for magic (for lack of a better word) to occur.
The problem is I don't believe President Bush is one of those "good" Christians.
Now is not a time for our President to be sitting on his a$$ praying to G-d to get him out of this bloody disaster.

I expect him to own up, admit mistakes were made and outline plans to fix it. If it helps Bush solve problems to pray, that's fine, just don't tell me I should join you. It bothers me that Bush tries to legislate faith, it's people like him who drove me away from mine. Bush may never be listed among the ranks of the great presidents, but he can still avoid being listed among the worst. In order to do that he needs to stop looking to G-d for anything but personal strength, and start looking to facts before making decisions.

//For those who don't know, writing G-d is a Jewish tradition used to avoid writing His full name. I had stopped honoring it, as I have not believed for a long time (and still don't) but I feel now that respect for such traditions is important, especially now, when religious freedom in the US seems to be on the verge of being legislated out of existence, by people like President Bush who cannot seem to accept that there may be another way, or believe it is their duty to save us from ourselves.
I, as a non-religous person of Jewish heritage accept and honor the right of others to believe whatever makes them feel whole, so long as it does not interfere with another's life, liberty or pursuit of happiness. When will the current administration recall the Constitution and do that for me?

// I am astonished at how a couple days off from work totally changes my outlook on life. I think I need better stress management skills [ohwell]

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 11:53      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
The second scenario is if the mid-term elections result in the Democratic Party regaining the majority.

Don't you need a 2/3 majority for impeachment?

It would have to be a fair landslide to deliver 2/3 of congress to the dems.

Indeed.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture