homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Google Mars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Google Mars
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 20:10      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine most of you have seen this already, but for those who missed it, Google Mars. I bet we'll get driving directions for Mars soon, too. [crazy]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 15, 2006 21:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me loves Google Earth, especially in G-Force navigation mode!

I've been flying around Vancouver Island, Vancouver, and the western states... very fun. :-)

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 02:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBWITW,PB Snaggy______________I wonder if by doing this we would become targets of the Govt. Vs Google case?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 06:22      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find Olympus Mons. Help! [Frown]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

merr
Geek
Member # 2193

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 07:52      Profile for merr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This should be really helpful when I plan my "Tour Across the Solar System" for May. =)

--------------------
"I wish they made a vending machine that sold vending machines... it would have to be real f*cking big!" -Mitch Hedberg

Posts: 179 | From: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 08:15      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
I can't find Olympus Mons. Help! [Frown]

Either search for it or click where it says mountains and scroll through.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 16, 2006 11:20      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if they are going to put this info into the next X-Plane, They already have a lot of earths surface Now if only I could afford to get it.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 13:51      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...I wonder what's next? Google Titan? Or maybe
Google Enceladus ? [Smile]

There's liquid water there, so there's a good possibliity of more Google market share... (hey, even alien microbes need driving directions!)

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 19:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... those professionals need to go back to grade school:

quote:
Detailed models suport conclusions that the plumes arise from near-surface pockets of liquid water at temperatures of 273 kelvins (0 degrees Celsius), even though Enceladus has a surface temperature of about 73 kelvins (-200 degrees Celsius).
Hmmm... I was taught in life science that the correct term is "Kelvin," not "kelvins." We must've attended different schools. [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 01:34      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The correct term is Kelvin. Named after Lord Kelvin.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 23:26      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually unless it is exactly one of them, the correct term is Kelvins. Unlike Celsius one never says degrees Kelvin, but instead just Kelvins. Look it up.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2006 23:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:
Actually unless it is exactly one of them, the correct term is Kelvins. Unlike Celsius one never says degrees Kelvin, but instead just Kelvins. Look it up.

Actually, according to Wikipedia the correct term is 'kelvins' (note the lack of a capital K).
The SI symbol for kelvins is, of course, capital K

</pedant>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2006 12:24      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You of course are correct about the capitalisation. Unfortunately I don't have to look it up, I am aware of Resolution 3 of the 13th CGPM decision on that SI unit.

That should teach me not to post after returning from a pub at 2:00 AM.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture