homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - All the news that's fit to print

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - All the news that's fit to print
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 09:16      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stole these from someone named Roosto. The New York Times claims to be "All the news that's fit to print". So where do you get your news? Print/TV/Net?

1. What is your preferred trusted news source?
2. What is a news source that you will never trust?
3. What is the news topic during the last calendar year that you feel got the worst coverage?
4. What news item do you feel got too much coverage in the last calendar year?
5. If you had complete control of your favored news source(s) (answer to question 1), what would you do with it that is not already being done?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 09:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. T3h interweb. But for the most part, that's for technical news (which I'm most interested in)
Otherwise...NYT for detailed world/national news. I happen to rather like the WSJ, though.

2. TV news - it's crap

3. Last...uh.... year???
*whoosh* There goes my memory.

4. See #3

5. Get rid of the compulsory online registration. [Big Grin] In the meantime, there's always BugMeNot.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 09:31      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your preferred trusted news source? I don't know that I trust any of them anymore. Journalism print and television is so driven by ratings. It is least common denominator for most. I do like Google news because I can play stories off each other from different outlets.

2. What is a news source that you will never trust? National Enquirer

3. What is the news topic during the last calendar year that you feel got the worst coverage? America in general doesn't do too well on international news that doesn't have a bearing on us directly.

4. What news item do you feel got too much coverage in the last calendar year? After Paris Hilton.... hmmm Not that I don't have sympathy for her family, but I was suprised by the amount of coverage given that young girl who was killed on break in the islands.

5. If you had complete control of your favored news source(s) (answer to question 1), what would you do with it that is not already being done? It would be nice if Google News could include more nonwestern news sources than they do. They do a lot, but ... However it might be a language thing.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 09:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Fark. Believe it or not. There are no non-partisan news sources out there, and most journalists think their annoying alliteration is clever, so I would rather read funny and weird stories. I *never* go to cnn, or fox, or cbc, or any of those sources. They're just not worth my time -- and the scaremogering is getting on my nerves.

CNN.

3. What is the news topic during the last calendar year that you feel got the worst coverage?
The whole Paris Hilton phone hacking thing -- any coverage of that stupid fscking bimbo is too much bad coverage -- which kind of feeds into 4.

That damn bird flu.

Honourable mentions:
- Brangelina
- Brad & Jen Aniston
- Britney & Cletus Federline
- Wacko Jacko
- any coverage of the airheaded people in Hollywood, really.

I don't like Moby, but a great quote by him comes to mind (I'm paraphrasing, I don't remember it exactly.. but the gist is there):

"I went to some Hollywood parties and soirees, and realised after talking to some movie stars that none of them were as funny or interesting or smart as any of my friends."

5. If you had complete control of your favoured news source(s)

Nothing.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
sancho
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 12:35      Profile for sancho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
5. If you had complete control of your favored news source(s) (answer to question 1), what would you do with it that is not already being done?

1. What was the phrase at the start of the Xfiles TV show "Trust no one". That is my watch words.

2. Foxnews has to be the worst "news" (by news I mean fear mongering) source for anything.
3. The war in Iraq. Does anyone else find it suspicious that the only stories come from Baghdad and Faluga. The reporters never have to leave their hotel that way. Why can't anyone be honest about the true reason the US invaded - Americans want to drive large vehicles and not pay five dollars a gallon for gas. Lets get honest... By the way, I drive an S-10 that gets 25mpg and I work in the oil and gas industry in Texas.
4. Harriet Myers nomination - the press screwed that up. They lost the nomination for her before the senate hearings started. She is an accomplished attorney with a good public record. Sandra Day O'Connor blazed a trail for women in the legal community. (She graduated #2 from Stanford Law, but could only find work as a legal secretary. She was the ONLY female federal judge for a long time.) Myers followed behind O'Connor, but is still part of the generation of women who broke the old boy network. The press hated her because she was the friend of the President and never once looked at what she did in the legal community. Now Bush is able to put in an idealog who could set the country back 40 years. Anyway... what was the question?
5. If I could change any media source I would make it maditory for all reporters to be able to write a complete sentence. Also reporters would have to know something about what they are reporting. I get so tired of science reporters who I honestly think could not pass 8th grade science. I mean Global Warming my ass. Suddenly the climate is changing - guess what dork - it changes all the time. Want to stop the biggest contributor of greenhouse gas emmissions - then stop those damn volcanoes from errupting.

Don't even get me started on the media - they all suck!!!

--------------------
Geologists for the reunification of Pangea!!!

Posts: 14 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 12:51      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to listen to public radio a bit in the mornings. I keep an eye on a few other sources, too, but take them all with a grain of salt.

I strongly distrust any TV news. It's particularly geared towards attracting viewers, not informing them.

I'm not sure. International news in general is often lacking.

That ridiculous Michael Jackson trial.

Not sure.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 13:36      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Daily Show with John Stewart -- remember, more Americans get thier news from The Daily Show than any other nationality [Razz]

No, really.. I'm listening to NPR - National Public Radio

"Local" TV News because it's mostly fluff and crap, and Cable TV News, the whole lot of it, CNN, Headline News, and especially, completely, entirely, Fox News! 24 Hour Cable News is 1 hour of actual news (i.e. what actually happened) and 23 hours of opinion and speculation. National network news isn't so bad, but it's not particularly great either.

The Downing Street Memo, the letter that pretty much single-handedly proved that GWB led us into Iraq KNOWING that there were no "Weapons of Mass Destruction."

Michael Jackson, nuff said

Buy more radio stations and bigger transmitters, and start podcasting/streaming the hourly news online.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 14:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

le Show - Hosted by Harry Shearer. He reports so many stories from so many sources. A lot of the stories, you never really hear about.

Fox News, local TV news aka the crime report, blogs

Although it got a lot of coverage, hurricane Katrina got a lot of the wrong kind of coverage.

Michael Jackson and all the pretty white girl kidnaps of the week.

Have more episodes of Dick Chaney - Confidential! They are hilarious. I can't wait for this week's broadcast. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 15:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Stole these from someone named Roosto. The New York Times claims to be "All the news that's fit to print". So where do you get your news? Print/TV/Net?

1) BBC
2) Anything American. Bunch of fearmongers.
3) Everything that's come to light about the WMDs and lack thereof. That's gotten too little. And bird flu got over-sensationalized.
4) Oh where do I start? Michael Jackson. Natalee Halloway. Terri Schiavo. Bird flu.
5) If it ain't broke don't fix it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 15:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Terri Schiavo. Bird flu.

Argh...Why did you have to remind us of the former?! =P

The latter was mentioned by you and others (newf, I believe)...and I'm rather tired of seeing 'end of the world' news about it. One blog I follow - Fergie's Tech Blog - posts /every/ time there's a story about it. Grrr....

But...I've been staring at today's NYT crossword for ages, and wondering what 'Bird ___' might be. Finally...it clicked! [Big Grin]

Thanks!

Edit/P.S. Erm...except that it's probably wrong. *shrug*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 10:26      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Boston Globe, BBC.

Fox News, the Boston Herald.

Frostbyte and his "meth lab," which was just riddled with assumptions and falsified testimonies. The whole damn thing just wreaked havoc on his family and friends...and Boston's out one fantastic party house.

Bird flu; it's the SARS of 2005. Also, that "GOD WARRIOR" chick on some reality TV show.

I'd omit the sports pages, since sports != news.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 13:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Guardian, and the BBC.

The Daily Mail - a nasty, twisted little newspaper.

3. What is the news topic during the last calendar year that you feel got the worst coverage? Hard to say really, but generally in the UK media there is still a tendency to devote multiple pages to individual deaths of white Europeans and then have a footnote along the lines of '...and 16,000 people were killed in (insert name of exotic location here) when a volcano erupted...".

Big Brother... once they were all in they should have just nailed the door shut and turned the cameras off. [Razz]

The Guardian - scrap the sports section!
The BBC - scrap the Licence fee!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 16:22      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BBC and Radio 4 in particular. Radio 4 is one of the things that makes me proud of my country. It is by far the best radio station in the world.
quote:
All US TV News, which too often seems be only a mouthpiece for your government. A sorry state of affairs.
quote:
Here in the UK over the last couple of years, in a manner frighteningly similar to what happens in Orwell's "1984", this phony "war" without end on terror is being used as the reason to whittle away many of the historic and hard fought for liberties that define a liberal democracy, in particular freedom of speech and freedom from imprisonment without trial. The only people who seem to be taking this matter seriously are our MPs and the Upper House. The Press and the general public here seem largely unconcerned. This concerns me greatly.
quote:
I am not much interested in gossip about people I am interested in, let alone the dreary "celebs" that sell newspapers. On the other hand the earthquake in Pakistan and its continuing aftermath disappeared from view in the media almost instantly. No wonder they hate the West there.
quote:
I am not sure that I would want to change much about the BBC, but I think the biggest contribution I could make to news media everywhere would be to hire a top quality assassin to take out Rupert Murdoch, as he has been and remains the main impetus behind nearly all the worst developments over my lifetime.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture