homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Search Engine Privacy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Search Engine Privacy
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2006 18:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"When you are looking at that blank search box, you should remember that what you fill can come back to haunt you unless you take precautions," she said.

Apparently the Bush administration is subpoenaing (sp?) all the top search engines, purportedly to discover harmful-to-minors content. Google's refusing to succumb.

The article is here.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 04:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn_______________Cell phone records track our where abouts and Google tracks our thoughts. Welcome BIG BROTHER.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 05:43      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who cares? I trust Google not to sell my data or use it for anything I don't want, and I don't look at anything on the 'net that would get me arrested.

I like the fact that Google's not complying, but not because I'm worried about my data.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 08:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I care. Not because I search for naughty content or information on devising weapons of mass destruction, though. I care because I believe this sort of data mining by the government infringes on the modern concept of personal privacy in a way that would make our forefathers shudder. I haven't completely thought this all out, but it makes me uneasy.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
AntonTakk
Mini Geek
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 19:16      Profile for AntonTakk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad google is fighting this, especially since other search engines aparently just rolled over.

just a thought, if I were in google's shoes, and lost the fight, i'd just fax the sections of binary data from their DB that are requested, but then again, I like to be an ass when I think i'll enjoy it.

--------------------
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!' - Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posts: 83 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 21:28      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what google should do, a big "fuck you" to Bush. It should release it's page rank algorithm and crawlers etc to the open. Let everyone make their own databases of sites, then bush couldn't do shit about it because it would be like your own search engine, personally, your software. So you can do what you want.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 21:49      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the original article it says something about taking precautions (I think I quoted a part of it) when you do Web searches. How? What precautions?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 22:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clear your cookies routinely, and don't log into Google while searching. Use Safari's private browsing mode, or Firefox's 'Clear Private Data' feature (carefully, though!). Also, common sense dictates not searching stuff that might raise red flags.

I think if maswan were around here, he'd agree with me that there is a sizable bit of concern to be had about privacy w.r.t. Google. For now, we can only hope that they will "Do no evil," and protect our data fiercely, but if they ever decided to /really/ use the information they have...I don't even care to think of that. If someone was adequately bored, and willing to buy me coffee, or some other brew, I'd probably bore them to tears with details of all the things Google can presently do with their currently available resources (as best as I can speculate [they have many minds sharper than mine in their employ, no doubt]).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 22:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This afternoon NPR aired an interesting—if somewhat scary—interview with the head of SearchEngineWatch.com. Check it out here.

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 11:46      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Clear your cookies routinely, and don't log into Google while searching. Use Safari's private browsing mode, or Firefox's 'Clear Private Data' feature (carefully, though!). Also, common sense dictates not searching stuff that might raise red flags.

I think if maswan were around here, he'd agree with me that there is a sizable bit of concern to be had about privacy w.r.t. Google. For now, we can only hope that they will "Do no evil," and protect our data fiercely, but if they ever decided to /really/ use the information they have...I don't even care to think of that. If someone was adequately bored, and willing to buy me coffee, or some other brew, I'd probably bore them to tears with details of all the things Google can presently do with their currently available resources (as best as I can speculate [they have many minds sharper than mine in their employ, no doubt]).

And don't forget Sarfari's "Stealth Browsing" mode in the firewall settings. Also there are a few cookie managers out there and Pith Helmet for Safari has ad blocking and other things with cookie management and filters for individual sites.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 12:12      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush has such disregard for the sanctity of the constitution. It makes me ill.

Don't forget he can show up at my library and demand any info he wants. And if I let anyone know his people have been here, I do jail time.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
AncientOne
Newbie Larva
Member # 2544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 13:14      Profile for AncientOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue isn't whether particular individuals do or do not have anything to hide. If the U.S. government has probable cause to believe a particular individual has broken a law, it has the ability to obtain a search warrant (from a judge) and require Google to turn over its records with respect to that individual.

What strikes me about this case is that the government appears to be asserting that it has the right to take the intellectual property of a private business without showing probable cause of a crime being committed by that company and without compensation to that company for taking that property.

Indeed, the White House's subpoena is politically motivated, if we can trust this quote from the article Rhonwyn posted: "In court papers that the San Jose Mercury News reported on after seeing them Wednesday, the Bush administration depicts the information as vital in its effort to restore online child protection laws that have been struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court."

Do we really want to live in a world where the government has the right to "mine" privately-collected data to further a particular political agenda? (To those of you who think you have nothing to hide: this time the issue is framed as "child protection." If this level of authority is established, what is to stop our government from using this power to investigate the politically-related searches of its opponents? Have you visted a website dealing with any of these issues lately: privacy, environment, taxation policy, this thread, etc.? Who will be in the gunsights will depend simply upon who is in the White House at the time.)

This is an extremely important issue, and I am thankful that Google (unlike Yahoo and Microsoft) has the guts and the foresight to oppose this effort.

Posts: 5 | From: Midland, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 07:29      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MS didnt want to resist, as they've got enough lawsuits on their hands.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:34      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My one line comment: Bush is a nosy fucka! He has his head up everyone else’s ass and is not worrying about more important shit. Dammit I turn into a fuckin sailor talking about that idiot!

*ok a little more than one line

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture