homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - a varied list

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - a varied list
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 06:52      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jr. Wells had this list. It is all over, but a nice list.

1) What is your favorite noise to hear?

2) If you could live in any era of time, what would you choose and why?

3) You just found $50 while cleaning your house. Where do you decide to spend it?

4) What magazines to you subscribe to/read on a normal basis?

5) If you could witness any event in history, but not change anything about it, what would you choose and why?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 07:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Amanda. (And believe it or not, I don't mean that in a dirty way. [Razz] )

This one is good, thanks.

3) You just found $50 while cleaning your house. Where do you decide to spend it?
Go out to dinner.

None.

5) If you could witness any event in history, but not change anything about it, what would you choose and why?

Ooh. Good question. Probably the big bang.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 07:24      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always loved to hear my family laughing in another room. I always find my feet moving faster to be with them.

When I was young I always wanted to be like Laura Ingalls. The books not the TV show. In hindsight, I probably don't have what it takes to be a pioneer.

If bills were paid, D-M and I would have fun somehow. I like eating out, but she doesn't.

4) What magazines to you subscribe to/read on a normal basis? Ireland of the Welcomes, Scottish Life, Smithsonian and PC magazine.

I would love to have been at Los Alamos during the Manhattan Project. That was such an interesting group of scientists.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 07:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 - Favorite noise: a rainstorm. It makes me want to cuddle up and feel comfortable. Bonus point for strong winds and thunder.

2 - Era to live in: hard to tell. Either the Great Darkness, where using my brain would make for an interesting life no matter what, or some distant future, to be able to fly to other planets.

3 - 50$: err... I should get my smart anytime soon (Monday at worse). So I'll have plenty to spend on. I intend to buy that flat repair kit (you know, with the foam you put in that seals the hole for a few hundred km), or one of those things I need for the house but are too much of a trouble to carry on the bus.

4 - Magazine: the only one I get is AI Magazine. I used to get MacAddict, but I had to choose between the two at some point, and I went with the learning over the entertainment.

5 - Witnessing an event: another tough call. Da Vinci painting Mona Lisa, perhaps. Yes, I think visiting Da Vinci's workshop would be nice. (Talking with him would be even better!) Other than that, Charlemagne's conquests, the great pyramids construction, the last time a super-volcano erupted, or even Pompei's destruction, Jesus' resurrection, or any other great human mystery.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 09:30      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each of my housemates (including me) has a 'signature noise' which we use to communicate a variety of emotions, or just to make each other laugh. We can go for hours without saying a word. These noises are among my favourites. [crazy]

Hmmm, New York during the Roaring Twenties. All that shiny new female liberation... I think I'd like to try my hand at being a flapper [Big Grin] .

A lovely case for my iPod nano. Why is it that all the cases I see are either phenomenally ugly or ridiculously expensive? *pouts*. If I had some change left over, I'd buy a new set of stationery for my burgeoning pen-palling habit. Now, if I could just buy some friends who don't mind me writing to them... [Razz]

Print magazines: The Economist, Empire, Spin
Online magazines: The Black Table, The Simon, The Morning News, Flak, McSweeneys

The first ever performance of 'Romeo and Juliet' at the Globe.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 14:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The sound of the forests up in the mountains here at dusk during the summer.

The one where they can clone organs and transplant them with no side effects or maintenance medications.

On a maid service so I don't have to clean the place next time [Smile]

Analog, Asimov's, Fantasy and Science Fiction, Dungeon, Dragon, Retro Gamer (though that may change with the new publisher), Reliability and Vibrations.

A college friend of mine was murdered and they never found the person who did it. I would witness that. As stated, I can't change the past... but I can change the present.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 14:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure, but I'd probably say 'water hitting the shore, or waves hitting the beach.' I like being by water.

I'm pretty pleased with 'the now,' as I'd probably feel rather out of place in any other time. If I had a small change to make, it'd be to take all that I know now, and live during the dot-com era. That could have been a hell of a lot of fun!

Hold onto it, and just enjoy a nice lunch here and there.

I did a '100 issues for $100' deal with Linux Journal a while ago (I'd already been a subscriber for a few years), and I'm quite happy to get and read it. I get DDJ for free, and though it's a bit heavy, I find some articles quite interesting. I do miss Verity Stob's column, though. :-/ I also get Communications of the ACM - and maybe if I get off my lazy ass I'll get something in ther someday.

The startup of the "Internet"/ARPANET. Maybe it might have been a nonevent then, but it still strikes me as quite cool. By a similar token I might otherwise say "the first booting of a PC."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 15:29      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

You're gonna hate me, but the startup music for Win2k, I even copied it over to my Gentoo box.

This one 0wns

CompUSA

Nothing, nothing at all

The Appacolypse
Cause I can

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 16:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kids laughing....sometimes I tickle torture them to the point of tears.

I'd like to visit my Viking ancestors around 1000AD for some good ol' fashioned raping and pillaging.

Beer. Then, of course, I'd get naked.

I used to get Wired, Maxim a wood working mag and the Canadian version of Time. Now, nada.

Vikings landing in Newfoundland. Fuck! That would be one serious par-tay. Or the 'alleged' lunar landing....or seeing a T-rex up close would be kind of cool.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 18:36      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thunderstorm + rain

I'm with the Newf on this one. I'd say I've got a pretty good deal going
right now. 'Interesting times...', some might say

Film. Specifically Kodak Tri-X 400.

Ugh. I buy 2 or 3 a week to read while I dine out. Model Railroader,
Railroad Model Craftsman, Mainline Modeler, CTC Board, Railfan & Railroad,
Trains, Popular Photography, LensWork, Black and White Photography (durned overpriced U.K. import...)
Outdoor Photographer, Martha Stewart Living, Digital Pro Photographer,
Scientific American, National Geographic and whatever else may
catch my eye.

The United States constitutional convention in Philadelphia.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PixelPusher59
Newbie Larva
Member # 4605

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2005 21:20      Profile for PixelPusher59   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to go with ocean surf, followed by stream trickling.

I would like to check in and see the civilised cultures that lived and worked way way Before Christ, maybe in India, China and the Mid-East.

Take my special nurse friend out to dinner.

I read National Geographic, and MacAddict. Most reading is novels and online content.

Would have to be the moment of the Resurrection inside the tomb of Christ. I am not a Christian particularly, but would love to see that if it actually happened. Or I would settle for the parting of the Red Sea. That way, you could at least tell people, "Yeah, I saw that myself, and it's for real".

Posts: 9 | From: Santa Cruz CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2005 02:59      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"....hear the lark and harken
to the barking of the dog fox
gone to ground."

I wouldn't particularly want to live in any historical period, because of all the horrible diseases and poor living conditions etc.

On a good single malt.

Macformat & Macworld.

Oppenheimer's reaction to the first nuclear detonation, to see if he really did have the "moment of understanding" they show in the dramas.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2005 15:53      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sound of clear breathing with an ear pressed to the breather's chest.

Mid-80s New York. Meet Warhol, see Batcave shows, experience best wave of the alternative music scene thus far.

Paying the rent.

Make Magazine. I stopped reading Vogue when Herb Ritts died.

I'd like to watch David Lynch directing "Eraserhead."

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture