homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » So Newf...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So Newf...
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 06:53      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't help but notice that your "location" now includes Kitchener. How's the employment hunt progressing?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 08:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh yes. I was going to do an update on that today. Thanks for starting my thread for me. [Wink]

I've had a new job since October 24th -- I did OK on the job hunt I guess. I work here writing print quoting software.

We've been living here since then, but only moved our stuff here this weekend -- damn I'm sore.

We got ourselves a nice 3 bedroom townhouse in Waterloo. It needs a lot of work internally, but the landlord gave us November free and agreed to pay for all supplies used if we cleaned it ourselves, so I'd say we lucked out. Once we get the place all set up and clean I'll post some h0t p1x. Right now, the walls are black, the carpets are dirty, and there's boxes EVERYWHERE.

I learned this weekend that I own entirely too many things -- if you disclude the large items I own: my couch, 2 7'+ tall book shelves, my 52" TV, chair, kitchen table, entertainment stand, 2 beds (had 3, 1 didn't make it), washer, dryer, computer desk, I still had (literally) about 30 of those 70L tote bins you can stack. They're *SUPER* useful for moving, though.

Alas, all of my stuff is in our new place, we're happy, Rowan is happy as a clam at his new school, Amanda's adjusting to K-W's stupid, stupid, stupid roads. (No seriously, you wanna have some fun, type Kitchener, ON into google maps and admire the roads.. NONE of them go properly in a grid, and some roads meet 3 times throughout the city -- something about the roads being built around farmer's plots years ago...)

Now we clean, paint, unpack, and get unsore (My feet and legs are killing me.)

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 10:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, newf...I saw this last night on /.
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/13/1644223&tid=99&tid=17

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 10:19      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhh, all the wonderful joys of moving. Nice to see things are going your way in your new home/area. Good Luck. [Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 10:51      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
BTW, newf...I saw this last night on /.
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/13/1644223&tid=99&tid=17

Holy crap. What a small world.

Anyone remember my post some time ago when I first started here where I explained where I came up with my nickname? If you've forgotten, allow me to reiterate.

I wanted to install new electrical outlets in my basement for my computers, since I had a nice large basement in my rented house, and I wanted to put my computers down there, only, there were no plugs in the basement other than the ones for the washer & dryer.

So I found the junction box, wired in some outlets, and put outlets at various intervals around the basement.

Then, I hooked them up, and plugged in my UPS, which proceeded to immediately complain that the phase was reversed on the plugs (hot and neutral were reversed).

Positive that I hadn't screwed it up, I went back to the junction box to find that the original wires were hooked into the house's electricity backwards.

Upon realising this, I stood on the floor, staring blankly up at the junction box, and exclaimed, "this place looks like it was wired by a bunch of drunken newfie midgets!"

My roommate laughed his ass off at it, and from that day forth, it's been my nickname.

Anyway, to the point of this post -- the company I was renting my house from was none other than Activa Holdings, and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the houses they build are poor quality, thrown up as quickly as possible variety that I wouldn't buy if you tried to sell it to me for half price.

The woman being sued is inevitably right, and I hope Activa Holdings goes out of business over this.

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 15:27      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, first MMKK goes to Ypsi bringing him within an hour,
then the Newf comes to within 3 hours driving time. Yes, my
plan is coming together well. Very well indeed! Soon my little
friends, soon...

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 15:35      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Thanks for starting my thread for me. [Wink]

No extra charge...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 10:17      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
friends, soon...

Where in Michigan are you?
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 10:57      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
friends, soon...

Where in Michigan are you?
Yeah!! What he said...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 11:57      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around Mount Clemens, I think.

http://www.frappr.com/geekculture [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 13:44      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! We could get together for a midwest & So-Can moot! According to mapquest, dnm is only 4 hours away from me!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 17:34      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, where the heck am I?

quote:
Peebs wrote:
Around Mount Clemens, I think.

http://www.frappr.com/geekculture

Greetings from the seat of Macomb County, or somthing...
Though before I moved here I lived in Port Huron/Sarnia and
grew up in Marine City so I've always been on the border, or
the edge, whatever.
quote:
MMKK wrote:
Wow! We could get together for a midwest & So-Can moot! According to mapquest, dnm is only 4 hours away from me!

We'd have to figure out how to get Bibo and The Mo Man over
here. Heck maybe we could get Red to de-lurk [Razz] I'm sure in
the 10 years I spent on and off working at P&D Hobby Shop I
must have ran into him once or twice.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 21:14      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs Vic is from Sarnia......that town is stinky eh?

I hate going there, except when I end up hoisting a few at The Riverport.....and by 'hoisting a few' I don't mean pints if you get my drift.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2005 15:30      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worst part about living at the south end of Port Huron. When the
wind backed around to come from the east chemical valley crossed
the river in all it's odiferous glory. "What is that smell?" <sniff>
'That, I am sure, is Imperial Oil cracking tower #3".

As for the other, most guys in Port Huron were patrons of the
'Sarnia Ballet.' [evil]

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture