homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Sunday Five - spend, spend, spend

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sunday Five - spend, spend, spend
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 12:16      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are a variation on a list by Krislis

1. Do you like to shop? Why or why not?

2. What was the last thing you purchased besides food, unless it was a fun food purchase?

3. Do you prefer shopping online or at an actual store? Why?

4. Did you get an allowance as a child? How much was it?

5. What was the last thing you regret purchasing or really loved and wondered why you waited?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 12:26      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Do you like to shop? Why or why not? Not for clothes. I do love going to bookshops and antique malls.

2. What was the last thing you purchased besides food, unless it was a fun food purchase? A toy phone for my daughter's birthday present.

3. Do you prefer shopping online or at an actual store? Why? I'm not a big online shopper, but I browse online.

4. Did you get an allowance as a child? How much was it? We started with a base of a quarter in first grade and got nickel raise each year. We had a lot of chores for such a piddly amount.

5. What was the last thing you regret purchasing or really loved and wondered why you waited?
I can't remember any actual titles, but it is usually a CD. I'll buy it and the one song I like is usually the only good one on it.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 13:49      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Aditu - I've been waiting since Friday [Razz] . So, here goes:

Generally, yes - even grocery shopping. But I don't like the aimless wandering about thing that Mrs Grummash does, if you don't know what you are shopping for, you don't need to be shopping!

2. What was the last thing you purchased besides food, unless it was a fun food purchase?
Chocolate Truffles.

Bit of both really, it's a case of "the right tool for the right job". Online is ok for CDs and stuff where you know exactly what is going to arrive in the post.

Yes, almost nothing :-( but still enough to rot all my teeth on sweets!

I rarely regret purchases, they are too well planned for that scenario to arise. The "why did I wait" purchase was a digital camera.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2005 19:26      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate shopping in all of its forms. It's like television; you can spend hours doing it and suddenly realize that you've accomplished nothing but make other people rich.

Just tonight I bought the Beatles' "Abbey Road" CD and "The March of the Penguins" book.

Online all the way. Amazon is my friend (or should be).

Yes. $5 a week.

The first season of the Muppet Show DVD set. I can't stop watching it. NO regrets.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 02:34      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like shopping by myself. Shopping with my sister or mother is a nightmare because they like to comment on EVERY article of clothing/CD/food item in the store.

The Notwist album "Neon Golden" from iTMS, but that was purchased with iTMS store credit that I got for my birthday.

A real store, because clicking on images isn't the same as picking something up and looking at it.

Yes, but I don't remember it being a fixed amount. I think I just got lunch money.

This guacamole dip I got at the grocery store. I open it up and instead of guacamole, I find this nasty green congealed stuff. What a waste of $1.20 :/

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 04:12      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love shopping for books, CDs, gadgets and stationery. Clothes shopping is good when you come away with something nice, but that hardly ever happens... most of the time it's depressing and stressful (I really, really don't like crowds).

Well, it was my birthday recently, so people having been buying me stuff. I think I spent some birthday money on a pretty shell necklace, though.

In a store, so I can pick something up and feel my way around it. However, there are some things you find online that you just couldn't get anywhere else, like the stuff on ThinkGeek or Threadless.com

Nope. My mum and dad are lovely, generous people. If we wanted to buy something and they thought it was sensible, they'd just get it for us.

Well, I didn't buy it for myself, but I requested a black 2Gb iPod Nano for my birthday. I love it soooo much, but I'm glad I waited to get one.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 06:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not particularly. I'm a typical guy. I know what I'm looking for, I go in the mall, I go to the item, I grab it, I look, I verify it is what I want, I leave. Simple as that.

Amanda likes to shop every now and again, and since I'm the only one with a driver's license, I inevitably end up tagging along. I don't mind that so much, though.

My digital camera from eBay. I love it. [Big Grin]

Usually online. Easier to get other people's thoughts on the product, do research, compare prices, etc.

Sometimes. $5/week.

Last thing I purchased that I regret? Nothing. I sometimes walk away from the store going, "why did I spend that money?" But within minutes I forget and get to playing with my new toy. [Big Grin]

I'm annoyed at myself for waiting so long on the digital camera though.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 06:16      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm generally not a fan; I feel like there are better things to do with an afternoon than stare at things that I may or may not buy.

Pack of smokes.

I'd prefer an actual store. Shipping costs extra and delays instant gratification.

I got $2 in quarters a week when I was a kid.

I kind of regret buying tickets to see "Doom" last night, but it sucked in a hilarious fashion, so it's not real regret...

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 07:32      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

No, shopping reminds me of the hell of consumeristic capitalism that we live in. It reminds me how much of a disposable society we live in and how much of our lives are wasted working for that golden dream of money.

Uhm... /me thinks multiple purchaces into the past.. milk.. milk... eggs... cereal... milk... celery... carrots... Steph bought new pillows for me yesterday, but the last thing *I* purchased that wasn't food was gasolene, or... about a month ago, this little $5 portable AM/FM radio.

Online! I hate crowds, and I hate the giant monuments to capitalism that we call stores and malls.

No, and I'm glad I didn't. I've never needed money to make me happy, and I'm glad my parents didn't try to teach me that equation.

My parents focused more on teaching me the difference between need and want, as opposed to "the value of a buck."

Good question, I don't really remember. I pretty much plan out my purchases before making them so I usually have no regrets. I think the last thing I waited too long to buy was my VW Bus.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
metagnat
Newbie Larva
Member # 4500

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 07:47      Profile for metagnat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<B>1. Do you like to shop? Why or why not?</B>

I like to shop for gadgets, books, and music. I guess I like shopping for these things because I am some kind of true child of the consumer generation. Getting fun things makes me happy. I hate shopping for clothes, though, because I am six feet tall and curvy, which makes finding things that fit beyond a challenge. I often wind up feeling like a freak of nature.

<B>2. What was the last thing you purchased besides food, unless it was a fun food purchase?</B>

I got Watchmen: The Absolute Edition, but it's a birthday present for my boyfriend, so maybe that doesn't count. I guess the last non-survival related purchase I made was some new clothes for a wedding.

<B>3. Do you prefer shopping online or at an actual store? Why?</B>

They both have advantages. Online shopping is great because it's low pressure and I have plenty of time. I don't have to deal with sales people who are pushy or insufficiently schooled in the ways of customer service.

On the other hand, in-store shopping has that instant gratification thing. Plus you are more likely to know what you're getting. You can look at it and pick it up.

<B>4. Did you get an allowance as a child? How much was it?</B>

I got an allowance of $3/wk, which, at the time, was just enough to buy a cassette single or a cheesy paper-back book.

<B>5. What was the last thing you regret purchasing or really loved and wondered why you waited?</B>

I don't really regret purchasing anything, at this point. I used to do a lot of uncontrolled spending, but I've gotten a lot better, which is good because I'm in grad school, now, and my income is negative.

-Ericka

--------------------
-Ericka
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life,when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about."
-Charles Kingsley

Posts: 9 | From: Somerville, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 17:37      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Only shopping for fun stuff, like viedo games, or for stuff that is really expensive, like a house, car, or other expensive stuff.

2. Civilization 4 and Battlestar Gallactica Season 1 (2005 version). I bought them at the same time, so...

3. Actual store because I just like standing there looking at all the stuff I could buy after the next paycheck if I didn't have bills to pay...

4. No, I didn't get an allowance though my parents took good enough care of us when ever we needed a bit of cash for the movies or something.

5. Last thing I bought that I really loved was dinner for my girlfriend and myself and I wonder why I waited so long to actually take her out to a decent restaurant. Maybe because she refused to let me spend my money on her...

Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
G-3PO
Geek
Member # 1851

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 17:45      Profile for G-3PO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes, for "fun" items. E.G.: I enoyed buying some new case fans for my computer a few weeks ago. I did not enjoy buying some new clothing.

Bawls Mints

At an actual store for instant gratification, online for savings

None. None whatsoever.

I shouldn't have bought that last pack of MTG cards. I have enough decks as it is. I should go ahead and start buying singles online as a cost effective way of improving them.

--------------------
For large values of one, one equals two, for small values of two.

Posts: 187 | From: Augusta, GA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2005 17:51      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yeah, I quite like shopping both for regular stuff and special purchases

Star Wars Ep III DVD

Depends on comparative pricing and how much time I have

Yes, and I don't remember. Think it scaled up with inflation though (and we call it "pocket money")

I heart my modded xBox. Games and a kick butt media server to boot. And now the only machine running Linux in the house [Wink] (unless my ADSL modem/hub does).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture