homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Apple fever!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple fever!
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 08:11      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the UK MacUser site

quote:
Apple will hold another of its 'special events' next week, a little over a month since the last one where CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the iPod nano.
The event, to be held next Wednesday, 12 October, is heralded with the tagline 'One more thing...'

With that tag line they are clearly ramping speculation and rumour to the max, and we wouldn't like to disappoint our little Stevie would we? Could they seriously have something more mind boggling than the iPod nano up their sleeves?

What do you think they might be announcing, and what would you like it to be?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 08:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A giant cheque for me.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 08:34      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
strong rumours for an iPod video. I don't think that would be much use for me.

Apple Newton [Wink] my life is organised enough but I'd be unable to stop myself buying one.

23" G5 iMac, think of the screen acreage!!

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 09:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Free Superdrive upgrade for existing Mac mini owners...

I can dream, can't I?

I may replace the thing out with the part that the current ones are getting - much faster burns, and dual layer DVD+R support...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 05, 2005 09:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen the invite?... looks like a movie theatre backdrop to me. [Big Grin]

http://www.appleinsider.com/image.php?i=appleinvite-onemorething&id=1305

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 09:29      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newton Message Pad 2006 with full color backlit screen, WiFi, and Bluetooth. Runs on a hibred of OS X and the Newton OS, complete with Unix underpants... err. underpinnings, and a gooey gui with "lickable" graphics. The screen is flipable, you can hold it "upright" or "sideways" and the screen will automatically flip for you and "intelligently" resize your windows. It has a built in Lithium Ion rechargeable battery that's easially replaceable, but lasts for 7 years (average) and can run 24 hours straight on one two-hour charge. It runs most cocoa applications natively (assuming they can fit into the screen) and, of course, comes with all the organizational tools you could really ever want. Ports include a headphone/microphone port (one port, both jobs), 1 USB 2.0, 1 FireWire 800, 1 mini-VGA out (adapter required, sold seperately), and a CF slot. The OS lets it be used as a USB 2.0 or FireWire hard drive.

Retail price: $299

Oh yeah, and it FITS IN YOUR POCKET!!!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 11:09      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Newton Message Pad 2006 with full color backlit screen, WiFi, and Bluetooth. Runs on a hibred of OS X and the Newton OS, complete with Unix underpants... err. underpinnings, and a gooey gui with "lickable" graphics. The screen is flipable, you can hold it "upright" or "sideways" and the screen will automatically flip for you and "intelligently" resize your windows. It has a built in Lithium Ion rechargeable battery that's easially replaceable, but lasts for 7 years (average) and can run 24 hours straight on one two-hour charge. It runs most cocoa applications natively (assuming they can fit into the screen) and, of course, comes with all the organizational tools you could really ever want. Ports include a headphone/microphone port (one port, both jobs), 1 USB 2.0, 1 FireWire 800, 1 mini-VGA out (adapter required, sold seperately), and a CF slot. The OS lets it be used as a USB 2.0 or FireWire hard drive.

I'll be on the first plane going anywhere near an Apple store [Wink]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 12:14      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:

I'll be on the first plane going anywhere near an Apple store [Wink]
Ditto. Well, I don't need to get on a plane, but yeah...

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted October 05, 2005 13:02      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think Secret says no on the video iPods. It looks like Power Macs and Power Books are going to get an upgrade.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 14:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait... PowerBooks are getting upgrades? Would my Pismo qualify? And what part's getting upgraded?

EDIT: [Frown] They're UPDATING the PowerBook, not upgrading existing ones. Looks like I'll have to shell out $80+ for a working CD-RW/DVD-ROM. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 16:03      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot have a teaser of "just one more thing..." for a miserable upgrade to existing hardware, or even to be honest, a widely predicted video iPod. This has got to be something more revolutionary. If it actually is a video iPod it could for example be teamed up with a download service like a film version of the ITMS. That might make sense of the theatre curtains on the invitation.

Can you feel that Apple hysteria bubbling? [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 16:29      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh, I am so frothing with excitement... NOTTTTT....

VidPod schmiddd pod, film download... zzzzzz... iTMS supergrade... zzzz...

I doubt I will even care unless Steve has something "really cool" and "awesome" to announce but that is just me.

New OS to hit streets 6 months early or intel Macs will be intel/PPC hybrids or G5 pocket wireless have your Mac with you everywhere widget might get me going...

Theatre curtains... one more thing... snooze

[Razz]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 16:41      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prediction is:
Whatever it turns out to be, I can't afford it. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 05, 2005 17:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sure got that one right....
[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 17:13      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve Jobs the Musical [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 05, 2005 17:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes... Now that I'd pay to see...

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 19:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A segway that plays MP3 files?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 19:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you're saying you'd like to segue on your Segway? [Wink]

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 22:37      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So you're saying you'd like to segue on your Segway?
No way, Jose!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 23:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:
So you're saying you'd like to segue on your Segway?
No way, Jose!
Oh Ethel! Say it ain't so!

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 20:22      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I know necro-posters get drawn and quartered around here, but... that was one hell of a prediction.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 21:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn! That was written in '05, and the iPhone came out in '07.

Nicely done, MMKK. Either you were seriously /enlightened/ or maybe you've got some wicked 'connections.'

Speaking as a happy† iPod Touch user, that description is close enough for government work. (Plenty of those features are droolworthy and not present, but the overall current devices are pretty damned fantastic.)

† Funny how a little thing like *copy & paste* can make all the difference in the world. Even if I only use it once a week, it's just so nice not to have a 'damnit' moment when you just can't do something.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 07:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, so much of my past is so fuzzy, I don't even remember writing that post. (Sidebar: I'm glad that I don't spend all my time being "fuzzy" anymore as I have actual memories again...) For years, though, I've thought that Apple have been stealing my ideas. 6 months before the LCD iMac I said to one of my friends: "LCD screens are getting so cheap now that Apple should take the guts of the iMac and flatten them out and stick them all behind a 15" LCD. You could have the slot-loading CD on the side of the screen and it'd only be a little thicker than a standard LCD." Six months later, it happened.

dman: as for "connections," I *do* truly feel that I have some sort of psychic ability that I am still learning how to tap into. The aforementioned "fuzzyness" used to help me tap into it, but then I'd forget everything... I'm trying to learn new, non-drug-related ways (i.e. quiet, reflective time) to find that connectedness again. And then there are those dreams that I have that come true.... those are scary sometimes...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2009 14:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, MMKK, got any stock market tips?

How about the horse races?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2009 05:27      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
So, MMKK, got any stock market tips?

See my signature...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture