homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Rita's looking more dangerous than Katrina (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Rita's looking more dangerous than Katrina
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 10:38      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was watching Katrina develop before landfall, it was no where near as large as Rita is. (Look here for satellite loop.)

Amazingly, the politicians are still acting more like politicians than leaders. (Without regard to party affiliations - They're all being stupid)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 12:29      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the UK we get all the news about how & why Dubya screwed up, but I have not seen one report in the UK serious press which shows just how much ordinary Americans are doing to help each other.
Luckily, I am on this man's mailing list, so at least I do get some positive news.
Here in the UK, we rather like Michael. [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 15:39      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ain't just whistlin' dixie GG...

-

Posts: 796 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 15:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember all those people who were evacuated from New Orleans to Texas?

Well, they're on the move again. It just shows the truth of that old blues line... if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10705 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 16:03      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
In the UK we get all the news about how & why Dubya screwed up, but I have not seen one report in the UK serious press which shows just how much ordinary Americans are doing to help each other.
Luckily, I am on this man's mailing list, so at least I do get some positive news.
Here in the UK, we rather like Michael. [Applause]

I used to rather like him, too, but I started tuning him out the last several years.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 17:06      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Orpheus and I evacuated the island today with the dog, cat, and computers. We are hoping to have a home to go back to. The trip to my mom's house took about eight hours rather than the 3.5 it normally takes. Sadly, many of the people on the road with us had Louisiana license plates. Seems like people are taking this as seriously as is called for. The island is taking people out on buses, and will be going door to door to make sure everyone gets out safely. Please pray, meditate, hope, whatever you choose to do, that everyone stays safe from harm and we don't have another disaster like Katrina. Now all we can do is sit back and wait.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 17:21      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will keep hope up for everyone over there as well as the many that have already been evacuated to Texas from LA. I read on Cnn that some of the LA natives are hoping the dome they are going to in Arkansas will not bring back bad memories.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 18:25      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are evacuating Lafayette, but my friend Sue runs an animal shelter and can't leave. She is on higher ground and has a lot of supplies. I am still really worried. Please keep her in your thoughts.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 18:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why doesn't she just put the animals down and get herself to safety?

/me wonders why a person would risk his/her life for animals. For other people, for sure, but for animals? Craziness....

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 19:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

/me wonders why a person would risk his/her life for animals. For other people, for sure, but for animals? Craziness....

Wow! I hope you aren't serious? They are fellow creatures that look to us for their well-being, and their lives are precious to them, as well as in the sight of their Creator.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 19:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Which is why I wondered why they didn't put them down. A simple needle stick is quicker and less painful than death by drowning or starvation.

--------------------

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 19:56      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whooooo... I'm not touching that one... [Eek!]

Does anyone know the probability of two Category 5 hurricanes in roughly the same area in the same season?

I can't believe it. Here we go again. [Confused] [weep]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 20:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Does anyone know the probability of two Category 5 hurricanes in roughly the same area in the same season?

With ocean temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico still around 30 C (90 F), this may be just the beginning... [Frown] [shake head]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

God
Geek Larva
Member # 2398

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted September 22, 2005 20:33      Profile for God         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How "Christian" of you. [Roll Eyes] This is going down in your permanent record. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Satan? What a moron!

Posts: 22 | From: Heaven | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 20:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by God:
quote:

How "Christian" of you. [Roll Eyes] This is going down in your permanent record. [Embarrassed]
Nice trolling, God. How about all of those animal sacrifices in the Old Testament, eh? Or the scapegoat thing? Or where you told the Israelites to go and hamstring the horses of opposing armies? The list goes on.

/If I believed in a God, they wouldn't be into animal cruelty. Or cruelty of any kind, really.
//And under Christian theology, Christians don't have a permanent record.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 20:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or how 'bout the sacrificial Lamb of God. Now there's cruelty. But at the same time, the most perfect act of love ever.

EDIT: Then I guess you must be a vegetarian, god?

--------------------

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 21:08      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Whooooo... I'm not touching that one... [Eek!]

I can't believe it. Here we go again. [Confused] [weep]

What's the probability that God is really pissed with the folks who put the lazy W in office?

I think the Supreme Commander has grown weary of sending tornadoes to trailer parks, and decided to crank things up a few notches.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 21:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What...the...fuck?!

(See...I usually use 'fsck' online. [Wink] )

You must be kidding me...

You respected the amazing folks at directNIC.com in NOLA who stayed there throughout hell...to keep some networking stuff running...but suggest that someone should abandon their post and kill animals, rather than keep them alive? Oh hell no! Fsck the machines...preserve life! (While I have unbounded respect for Interdictor and company, I think folks would have understood if they abandoned ship early on, and /something/ could have been made to work.) If I was in Interdictor's shoes, or Aditu's friend's shoes, would I do what they did? Maybe. The former, probably just because, as some know, I tend to step in when the shit hits the fan and usually keep things under control well. I also really hate giving up, so I tend to hang around when stuff needs to get done. The latter...well, that would require me to be in a different profession...and odds are that my conscience wouldn't let me leave a shelter full of living creatures die a miserable death (starvation - the elevation implies they wouldn't be flooded), or have their life brought to an untimely end. In both cases, I tip my hat to these brave men and women who are sticking to their guns. (OTOH, people who have no damnably good reason to stay around should get the hell out of there, ASAP!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 21:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Nice trolling, God. How about all of those animal sacrifices in the Old Testament, eh? Or the scapegoat thing? Or where you told the Israelites to go and hamstring the horses of opposing armies? The list goes on.

/If I believed in a God, they wouldn't be into animal cruelty. Or cruelty of any kind, really.

csk is chanelling TFD.
Welcome to the twilight zone...

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 21:39      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing you're talking to me, dman, so I'll direct my response to you.

My understanding of the directNIC people was that they weren't in any danger from the storm. They were stuck there 'cause cars weren't working, no gas, etc. My understanding of Aditu's friend is that she has the chance to flee from flooding waters but is instead choosing to tempt fate. There's a difference there, yes? I mean, seriously, if those guys in the tower had stood a chance of losing their lives, they would've been stupid to stay, no matter how important the technology they manned.* The same with Aditu's friend. If her life is at stake, dying with the animals is a poor choice. Which would you rather have: a)dead animals or b)dead animals and people? If the animals are going to die as a result of the storm, put them to sleep humanely, then get the heck out of there.

*And face it. If the storm was strong enough to kill the men, it would've for sure killed the equipment.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 21:46      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

csk is chanelling TFD.
Welcome to the twilight zone...

Now I've got that doo-dee-doo-doo thing going round in my head, thanks a lot! [Wink] Nah, just revelling in my newfound agnosticism. Or maybe the TFD part of the collective took over, dunno...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 21:51      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EDIT: I removed my comment. This post made in hasty emotional response to something that was probably not meant to upset anyone, I hope. Please forgive my momentary lapse in patience and self-control. I am riding on my last nerve right now, which I hope you can understand.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 21:59      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, that's a bit of an extreme reaction there, maia. I'm pretty sure that's CP's usual black sort of humour, I doubt he was wanting to offend anyone.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 22:02      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a bit touchy right now. We stand to lose our home and everything we own. I was hoping to come on here and find a bit of support, and find someone who seems to have no regard for our situation. Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of humor.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 22:04      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maia:
Just a bit touchy right now. We stand to lose our home and everything we own. I was hoping to come on here and find a bit of support, and find someone who seems to have no regard for our situation. Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of humor.

Quite possibly. Colonel Panic, while not being around as much recently, has made some truly memorable posts in the past, and has been much missed in his absence.

But, I can understand where you're coming from too, maia. I hope that things are as good as they can be, and that there is little or no further damage from this hurricane.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture